TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nutmeg Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nutmeg

Question Do I have schizophrenia? - June 1st 2010, 11:28 PM

Symptoms;
  • Hallucinations: when a person sees, hears, smells, or feels things that no one else can. "Hearing voices" is common for people with schizophrenia. People who hear voices may hear them for a long time before family or friends notice a problem. CHECK.
  • Delusions: when a person believes things that are not true. For example, a person may believe that people on the radio and television are talking directly to him or her. Sometimes people believe that they are in danger-that other people are trying to hurt them. CHECK.
  • Thought disorders: ways of thinking that are not usual or helpful. People with thought disorders may have trouble organizing their thoughts. Sometimes a person will stop talking in the middle of a thought. And some people make up words that have no meaning. CHECK.
  • Movement disorders: may appear as agitated body movements. A person with a movement disorder may repeat certain motions over and over. In the other extreme, a person may stop moving or talking for a while, a rare condition called "catatonia." CHECK.
  • Talk in a dull voice CHECK
  • Have trouble having fun CHECK
  • Have trouble planning and sticking with an activity, like grocery shopping CHECK
  • Talk very little to other people, even when they need to. CHECK
  • Trouble using information to make decisions CHECK
  • Trouble paying attention. CHECK
  • Have trouble sleeping CHECK
  • Be irritable or moody. CHECK
I really think I have schizophrenia, but I don't want to tell anyone. They'll surely think I'm crazy and lock me up somewhere. I don't want to talk to an adult about it--confrontation scares me to death. Sometimes I start crying because the voices are frusterating me, or out of frustration that I can't distiguish very well the difference between fantasy and relatity.

I need help. I'm afraid to get it.
What do I do?

Last edited by Nutmeg; June 1st 2010 at 11:39 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Do I have schizophrenia? - June 2nd 2010, 01:30 AM

Hi,
If you are experiencing these symptoms, especially hearing voices, it is imperative that you get help. Sadly, schizophrenia can cause you to harm yourself and/or those around you and that's surely not a situation that you want to possibly put yourself in.
I would suggest telling your parents, or a school counselor, someone and see a psychologist so that you can be diagnosed and started on medication. I know that this is scary and you are afraid that you will be locked up, but it's very unlikely that this will happen. You are more likely to be put into a mental health facility if you allow this to progress without treatment (if in fact, you are schizophrenic.) If you seek help now, more than likely all that will happen is that you will see a psychologist, get diagnosed and be started on medication to help suppress these symptoms and allow you to lead a normal life. This is a manageable disease!
There is also the chance that this is not schizophrenia. Many mental illnesses can have overlapping symptoms, and what you're experiencing can very well be something like depression. So like I have said, it will probably be in your best interest to be diagnosed by a professional.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

Last edited by Stacey; June 2nd 2010 at 06:52 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Do I have schizophrenia? - June 2nd 2010, 02:11 AM

Have you previously gone to get help? Have any previous diagnosis? Either way, you should mention these symptoms to a professional. Don't be scared, they won't lock you up unless they feel you're a major threat. Keep in mind you can go in, talk, and figure out the problem. They'd usually start you on treatment initially to see how it goes, before trying to "lock you up".

However, the symptoms of "Movement Disorder" you described, alot of them sound like they can be associated with Depression. And also, depending on the frequency of the other symptoms, it may not be Schizophrenia.

If you think you may have Schizophrenia, you should go to a professional. If you don't, well, could just get worse for all we know.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do I have schizophrenia? - June 2nd 2010, 02:50 AM

I'm actually glad to see this is a post or thread where the OP knows schizophrenia is more than merely psychosis. Unfortunately, the bullet points seem to be very general and due to their generality, some are incorrect for what symptoms would be due to schizophrenia. I would not stress out a lot about it as the only ones that you mentioned that I would consider to be something to see a doctor about, are the hallucinations and delusions. The disorganized thought, speech and poor attention span may be worth to see a doctor over but it depends on just how disorganized and how poor the attention is. Given that you're young, it's kind of expected in a way.

Regardless, some of the symptoms and diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia can and do fit other syndromes. The hallucinations and delusions I won't address because it's really something to be addressed person-to-person (as is the entire diagnosis but this especially).

For movement symptoms, catatonic schizophrenia is extremely rare as it tends to occur after the schizophrenia has been occurring for a long time and is very severe. The information you gave is actually incorrect on it as it does not state the true criteria and symptoms, which are much more. It also excludes the criteria whereby repeating or doing whatever the movement is, has no apparent value, not caused by some external stimuli and for some, cannot change the posture despite repeated instructions. To be honest, it's something I highly doubt you have.

The issues of not paying attention and disorganized may or may not be from schizophrenia as they can be due to other syndromes also, such as ADHD.

For talking in a dull voice and having fun, this is not an actual symptom nor part of the criteria. Any dull voice that may occur would only be relevant if it's caused by something such as negative symptoms.

Lastly, you "CHECK" something that is not part of schizophrenia, in fact, is something the diagnostic criteria clearly states cannot occur, and that is being moody. If it's due to an actual syndrome, such as a mood disorder with psychotic episodes or schizoaffective, it is NOT part of schizophrenia. If you have a hard-copy of the DSM-IV-TR or are looking the exact diagnostic criteria online, this is Criterion D.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do I have schizophrenia? - June 2nd 2010, 04:07 PM

Hi there,

It is good that you have identified that you feel as though something is wrong. However, I'm sorry that you don't feel as though you're able to reach out or open up about what you're experiencing.

I can assure you that having a mental illness does not mean that you are 'crazy' or that you are going to be locked up. There is nothing to be ashamed of and you deserve to get help for this. There is nothing to be ashamed about.

Although you say that you have managed to match up with several of the criteria for schizophrenia, it does not necessarily mean that you do have the condition - your symptoms could of course be linked to other things. Unfortunately, we do not have the right to diagnose you with a medical condition and so I would suggest that you talk to a medical professional about how you feel, so that they will be able to help you. It may be difficult to open up, but it will be worth it. Try to talk to someone who you trust about this, whether it is a relative, friend or medical professional.

Please take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Do I have schizophrenia? - June 2nd 2010, 07:56 PM

I have schizophrenia, but when I was diagnosed I didnt think I had any symptons because I didnt realise that I was ill.

I would never self diagnose, because it could possibly suttly increase the severity of the symptons you have, making you believe you do have Schizophrenia.

Get to a doctor and get diagnosed.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
Closed Thread