TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
violet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Schizotypal - June 19th 2010, 07:23 PM

I'm rather positive that I have Schizotypal disorder, but I have no help available to me, not even for a diagnosis or counseling.

I was diagnosed with major depression 2 years ago and was able to see a psychiatrist, but it ended up being a bad experience, and my parents said never again.
I also went to a therapist once, after we were reassured she was covered under our insurance, only to find out that she wasn't.

My parents have never let me forget how much money I cost them, how much trouble it was, how bad I made them feel as parents, etc. Nobody believes me, and their reactions are pretty much, "ugh, not this again."

I'm so frustrated. I know something is wrong and I NEED help, I really want therapy, but I have nowhere or nobody to go to.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Schizotypal - June 19th 2010, 09:35 PM

What makes you positive about the Schizotypal Disorder?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
violet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Schizotypal - June 19th 2010, 09:58 PM

If I were to describe all of my symptoms, it would take forever, but these are the (general) symptoms:

1. Ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)
2. Odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or "sixth sense"; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)
3. Unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions
4. Odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped)
5. Suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
6. Inappropriate or constricted affect
7. Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar
8. Lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
9. Excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self

Some of these didn't make much sense to me on first glance (for instance, #3 would include out-of-body experiences), so I have researched all of them, just to be sure. So I'm not going on these vague descriptions alone.

Out of those, the only one I can say I don't experience is 3.
2 and 7 are very much there, but they don't really cause issues for me.
5 and 9 are getting to the point where they're destroying me.
1, 4, and 6 are constantly fueling the fire that 5 and 9 have.
I don't mind 8 so much, because I'm an introvert in general, but it's a result of 5 and 9.

I also took an assessment and got 60/74. Apparently the cut-off for top 10th percentile is 42, and of the top 10th percentile, 55% were already diagnosed with Schizotypal.
I have also been looking at a Schizotypal forum where members who were diagnosed shared their scores on the assessment, and they typically seemed to score anywhere from 50-65.

I tried to post the link to the assessment and its research/validity info, but it wouldn't let me, because I have less than 10 posts.
They're both linked on this page, so hopefully this works (copy and paste): rcf.usc.edu/~raine/

I don't want to "diagnose" myself, but I'm pretty convinced.

Last edited by violet; June 19th 2010 at 10:07 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thewickedcity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: Schizotypal - June 21st 2010, 07:33 PM

I think you should focus on alternative ways to get help. I know your parents have not been very helpful, but you're 19 and you can get help on your own. First, I'd make a visit to your primary care doctor to talk about your concerns. Because of HIPPA your doctor can't tell your parents about what you've discussed with her/him. After telling your doctor what is going on, I'd tell her/him that you need to see someone who takes your insurance. I know doctors and therapists copays can be expensive. Do you have a job so you could pay for these things yourself? Maybe you could also ask your doctor about free or cheap mental health clinics in your area. Also, some therapists are willing to lower rates for those who are in need but have little income. One of my therapists was willing to do that for me because I was 18, and was paying for everything myself. She lowered the rate from $60 to $20 a visit. It made it so much easier. Don't give up on getting help.. it's not always the easiest thing to do, but it's worth it.
  Send a message via AIM to thewickedcity Send a message via Yahoo to thewickedcity  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Schizotypal - June 21st 2010, 08:00 PM

Pretty much all online self-assessment tools are not that great because they don't often give a representation of what the disorders truly entail and are constructed pretty poorly. Self-report assessment tools do exist and if you want one for personality, try the MMPI-II, which you will need to see a psychologist or psychiatrist to give to you because it requires a very detailed method of assessing your results.

Before you are diagnosed with a certain personality disorder, you must first be diagnosed with meeting the criteria for "personality disorder". Once you do, then you can begin getting assessed for specific ones, such as schizotypal. Having a hard-copy of the DSM-IV-TR with me, your self-diagnosis did not address all the criteria. There are 2 main criteria: criterion A specifies the behaviours (the list you provided) and criterion B is a criteria that states: "does not occur exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia, a mood disorder with psychotic features, another psychotic disorder, or a pervasive developmental disorder". This is one reason why self-diagnosing is bad: people rarely consider all the diagnositc criteria.

Also, it's not about simply ticking off which symptoms you meet. You seem smart so I'll play into your amateur diagnosing. Since 5 and 9 are presumably the main behaviours that are problematic, there's a good chance it may be (assuming you have a personality disorder to start with) paranoid, narcissistic, or possibly borderline personality disorders, or delusional disorder. I'm picking on 5 and 9 because according to you, that's the main focus, the other ones are either not present or cause little distress. This is assuming your depression disorder is not present, which complicates matters, hence why I have not mentioned it in this differential "self-diagnosis".

Best bet is see a doctor or therapist. Since you're 19, I assume you're in some level of education and they usually have school psychologists for you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
violet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Schizotypal - June 21st 2010, 11:22 PM

I don't have a job. I've tried to get one but my school schedule is rather awkward. I do freelance web design, so every now and then, I have a check come in. But it usually goes towards gas. Since I'm a full-time student, I'm still on my parents' insurance, so if I go to the doctor without discussing it with them first, aren't they going to find out?

Also, I am aware of the diagnostic criteria. I have read both A and B that you listed. I have had these symptoms since I was around 11/12, and my depression was a result of them. I have read that people with Schizotypal are prone to depression and OCD, both of which I have already been diagnosed with.
I'm not only going on the self-assessment. As I mentioned, I have been reading through posts by diagnosed Schizotypals, have been communicating with them, and have strongly identified with them to the point where it is more than coincidence and more than me just "wanting" to settle on this diagnosis. I was very hesitant to the idea of Schizotypal, but going through all of these things are what has convinced me that it's definitely a possibility, not the other way around.

I have not even really gone through what's going on in my head or everything I feel, I gave a brief list of symptoms and tried to explain how each of them stand without going into detail. 5 and 9 are the main issues, yes, but 1, 4, and 6 are just as intense. But it stands to reason, for example, that my ideas of reference (1) are so prevalent that they are fueling my paranoia (5). I'm just saying that 1, 4, and 6 go hand in hand with 5 and 9, but that doesn't make them any less severe than 5 and 9.

As I said, I don't *want* to self-diagnose, that's why I'm asking for help. I guess I'm just going to have to wait 2 & 1/2 months to move back to school before I can try to check the school for a psychologist or counselor.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lost in Thought Offline
Condemned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Justin

Re: Schizotypal - June 22nd 2010, 04:45 AM

I would really try to avoid self-diagnosing. There isn't any benefit out of doing it, and often times it could hurt your future diagnoses and treatment. You seem to be intelligent, but as you and I both know, you cannot think your way into good mental health. Diagnoses are for professionals who can follow them with treatment. Otherwise, the diagnoses isn't going to be worth anything other then another burden to dwell on.

What you need to focus on is the problems, and that your mental health is effecting your day to day life. You should work on finding a counselor or someone of that sort. There could be someone within the school or even something in the area with a sliding scale fee. If you find a place like that and do not want to use your parents insurance then claim you have none. The cost will be based on your income. Do some research on this rather then diagnoses now. Like I said before, the name of a diagnose is for them so they can give treatment. Not that there is anything wrong with looking though. You can find help on your own, without your parents knowledge.

When you do find help, be as honest as possible. Instead of describing the symptoms you know you have, describe whats going on in your head and let them figure out what symptoms they are. The treatment and recovery are the things you want, not the labels. Your number one goal should be getting rid of this problem and getting marbles in line. I don't know how you feel about meds, but speaking from experience, you have to give them a chance, and you'll need to remind yourself why your doing it and what the goal is. Maybe not, but thats what really helped me stay on track when they cycled me through meds looking for the right concoction. PM if you want to talk.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
thewickedcity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: Schizotypal - June 23rd 2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
I don't have a job. I've tried to get one but my school schedule is rather awkward. I do freelance web design, so every now and then, I have a check come in. But it usually goes towards gas. Since I'm a full-time student, I'm still on my parents' insurance, so if I go to the doctor without discussing it with them first, aren't they going to find out?
Maybe you could look into getting a few more freelancing jobs to save up a little money to put towards getting help? Or at least towards getting a first appointment with your doctor. When you go to the doctor, you pay the copay and get the receipt. The rest is then billed to your insurance company. If your parents looked into it, they could find out that you went. They may not notice though. Maybe you could pretend that you're going for something else? Also, if you google free/cheap clinics in your area you may be able to find someone to see you without even having to see your doctor first. Also, most cities have support groups that are free of charge.. I go to one for anxiety. It's not a total replacement for therapy but it's better than nothing. I hope you're able to find something soon :]
  Send a message via AIM to thewickedcity Send a message via Yahoo to thewickedcity  
Closed Thread