TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Question Involuntary Movements - June 21st 2010, 09:07 PM

I have involuntary movements.
Like, my hand or my head starts doing something I didn't mean for it to do. As if someone grabs me and moves it against my will. And it's powerful.
Even sometimes I start screaming or singing or talking in a strange language without causing them.
I start to hyperventilate before and after that happens. Or during.
I don't get it and I have to hold whatever's moving down, in case it does something.
Sometimes I think it's the people I see that are doing it.
Is there a more reasonable answer to this?

Also,
I want to add this instead of making an entire new topic.
Last night, I was trying to sleep (insomnia) and I tapped my fingers on the mattress then, next thing I knew, I was laying flat on the bed, breathing hard as if I just ran a mile. I look at the roof and there it says: "You killed her." in red ink.
I got so scared I jump out of bed and nearly ran out the house. But I just stood at the threshold of my room, looking at the regular roof, clean, white, spot free.
It was probably my, whatever it could be called. The therapist says it's schizophrenia, but I forgot what that meant.
And I keep forgetting a lot lately. Like if I'm talking to my friend then I forget what I'm saying.
That and I get nightmares and hurtful memories of when I was...hospitalized.
I even have a phobia of that.
And sometimes, I'm going to do something, like run outside or something and then I am overtooken by fear.
Now I forgot where I was going with this.
Well, I dunno anymore. Sometimes, I think, I don't really care anymore.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
3OH!3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 21st 2010, 09:46 PM

Ok, this will probably sound incredibly weird and i'm sorry if it sounds ridiculous but this could do with something in your past life. Like if you'd done something before this life. But speaking more technical terms, you should talk to your parents about this. You could have a serious such as schizophrenia. Or talk to an adult you trust, a counselor or someone. I hope you feel better.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
3OH!3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 21st 2010, 09:52 PM

BTW schizophrenia is a serious mental health condition that affects the how a person thinks, feels and behaves. People with schizophrenia often hear voices, can't tell the difference between imaginative and real things, and they can be very disorganized. Many times they have trouble expressing their feelings. Their experiences can make them look fearful and withdrawn.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thewickedcity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 23rd 2010, 01:02 AM

My guess is that the second thing is related to your diagnosis. Since it sounds like things aren't getting better (or maybe getting worse) I think it's really important that you talk to your therapist immediately. Maybe he/she could try a new treatment plan or possibly medication. If your therapist isn't available, try contacting your regular doctor.

As for the first, it's possible that this is related to a mental health problem but it's also a symptom of a lot of physical health issues. I would make a list of your symptoms and then contact your doctor to see what he suggests doing. It probably wouldn't hurt to also ask your therapist about it.

Good luck :]
  Send a message via AIM to thewickedcity Send a message via Yahoo to thewickedcity  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 23rd 2010, 01:51 AM

WickedCity brings up a good point. I mean, there are physical health issues than can affect your mental health.
This is definitely something to mention to your doctor, either way. Especially with Insomnia, you can get delusional after losing so much sleep.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 25th 2010, 04:32 AM

Well, I talk to my therapist about it, but she doesn't really do anything. And the meds, they're trying to get me on them and I have to, no exceptions, but they keep saying it's coming and it never does.
3Oh!3: I was told that from my therapist and it wasn't really helpful.
TheWickeCity: Well, I don't have a reg doc. And things are getting worse, but hey, no professional, actually, no one close seems to care. Only the one's who don't really know me care. :l

YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 25th 2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Darkness View Post
TheWickeCity: Well, I don't have a reg doc. And things are getting worse, but hey, no professional, actually, no one close seems to care. Only the one's who don't really know me care. :l
... How do you not have a Regular Doctor? You NEED a Regular Doctor in order to be on Meds, or even offered the option.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 25th 2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post
... How do you not have a Regular Doctor? You NEED a Regular Doctor in order to be on Meds, or even offered the option.
Actually, this isn't necessarily true. Quite possibly for where you live, but not here. The first time I saw a psychiatrist, I was already evaluated and had medication recommended to me. Granted she wanted to do a follow-up, and from there, naturally, more follow-up appointments in order to adjust dosages and see how I'm doing on the medication and how it's affecting me, so if by doctor, you meant psychiatrist, then this is true. You do need a psychiatrist to be put on medication, and chances are, he or she will become a regular; I'd say it's pretty well impossible to be put on the perfect dose your first time round, simply because with most medications, if not at all, they'd rather work you up to the treatable dose as opposed to starting you on that dose straight away. Other than that, all you really need is the prescription and a pharmacy. But I should honestly think that if your therapist suspects you have schizophrenia (here, therapists cannot diagnose you with a disorder - psychiatrists, however, can - especially one as serious as schizophrenia, which, in my opinion, no credible doctor would diagnose someone at your age with; it's generally not diagnosed until the late teen years/early adulthood based on the severity and based on natural development and brain chemistry), they'd have given you a referral to a psychiatrist by now and you'd have been seen. Is it not possible to book an appointment or be put on some form of a waiting list? Because if they're saying "no exceptions" to being put on meds, you'd have thought action would have been taken by now, and sometimes it's best to take matters into your own hands.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 25th 2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayingPretend View Post

Actually, this isn't necessarily true. Quite possibly for where you live, but not here. The first time I saw a psychiatrist, I was already evaluated and had medication recommended to me. Granted she wanted to do a follow-up, and from there, naturally, more follow-up appointments in order to adjust dosages and see how I'm doing on the medication and how it's affecting me, so if by doctor, you meant psychiatrist, then this is true. You do need a psychiatrist to be put on medication, and chances are, he or she will become a regular; I'd say it's pretty well impossible to be put on the perfect dose your first time round, simply because with most medications, if not at all, they'd rather work you up to the treatable dose as opposed to starting you on that dose straight away. Other than that, all you really need is the prescription and a pharmacy. But I should honestly think that if your therapist suspects you have schizophrenia (here, therapists cannot diagnose you with a disorder - psychiatrists, however, can - especially one as serious as schizophrenia, which, in my opinion, no credible doctor would diagnose someone at your age with; it's generally not diagnosed until the late teen years/early adulthood based on the severity and based on natural development and brain chemistry), they'd have given you a referral to a psychiatrist by now and you'd have been seen. Is it not possible to book an appointment or be put on some form of a waiting list? Because if they're saying "no exceptions" to being put on meds, you'd have thought action would have been taken by now, and sometimes it's best to take matters into your own hands.
I actually did mean a regular doctor, but a psychiatrist is also someone with a medical degree. Maybe I should've specified and said "You need someone with a Medical Degree to be prescribed Medications". And then specified that it has to be someone who regularly sees you, not a nurse at the Emergency Room in the hospital, because they need to be able to monitor your medications.

Hell, Birth Control even has to be monitored for side effects, so Anti-Depressants/Anti-Psychotics/Mood Stabilizers would definitely have to.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 26th 2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I actually did mean a regular doctor, but a psychiatrist is also someone with a medical degree. Maybe I should've specified and said "You need someone with a Medical Degree to be prescribed Medications". And then specified that it has to be someone who regularly sees you, not a nurse at the Emergency Room in the hospital, because they need to be able to monitor your medications.

Hell, Birth Control even has to be monitored for side effects, so Anti-Depressants/Anti-Psychotics/Mood Stabilizers would definitely have to.
Well, I did have a psychiatrist, but then he bailed out on me before I told him that all that was happening. He said that it was nothing when I started to mention it subtly. He said I just needed some Benadryl for my sleep. And the people in the one program, what was it? Pathways to Wellness, I think and they never contacted us back 'cause we're a family of low income. We have a horrible MediCare coverage so we can't get much. I'm forced to go to the horrible cheap therapy system that keeps bringing me own in everything I say. So, it's hopeless, I guess. I can't get another doc that way.

WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 26th 2010, 07:35 AM

But then, who has been trying to give you meds?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 26th 2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
But then, who has been trying to give you meds?
One of the therapist who, actually, isn't a therapist. He's like, a HR guy there, and for some reason, wants to put me on meds. I dunno, it's all screwed. Ha, last time I totally pwned him when he mentioned my MH during family therapy and it had nothing to do with the topic.

WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 26th 2010, 07:53 AM

... They can't put you on meds unless they have a medical degree. Which, as far as professionals dealing with mental health, only consists of Doctors and Psychiatrists.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Involuntary Movements - June 26th 2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
... They can't put you on meds unless they have a medical degree. Which, as far as professionals dealing with mental health, only consists of Doctors and Psychiatrists.
I dunno but they're trying their hardest without success. I think they're trying to contact one. He's obviously gonna tell the doc lies beforehand, if we ever do get one.

WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

Closed Thread