TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sin Offline
*pixie in training*
Not a n00b

Name: Sinead

Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 08:45 AM

Ok....I had a really crap few weeks and am finding it hard to cope. My physc is on my back all the time now, she wants me to go into hospital for awhile to help me get back on track. I really really dont want to. But i already broke my contract. She made me sign a stupid contract thing to say I wouldnt harm myself in any way untill monday. So now I dont no what to do. Should i go into hospital or will i fight it? Does anyone think physc hospitals actually help people?

But so many people are looking to me
to be strong and to fight

but i'm just surviving
and I may be weak but I'm never defeated

and I'll keep believing
in clouds with that sweet silver lining

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:01 AM

Hey there.

I spent some time in a hospital myself. For me, personally, it didn't help me an awful lot. However, it does keep you safe. For the short term it could be really beneficial for you if you don't feel that you can keep yourself safe. If you choose to go into the hospital remember that it's nothing like the movies. Try to go in with an open mind, it's not how you will expect it to be. It's worth remembering that if you go in willingly there will be no reason for them to need to detain/section you at all, however if they deem you as a risk to yourself they could potentially section you against your will.

I know by the sound of it you're not too happy about going into the hospital. If you do there's a good chance that you will find something that will really help you! It gives you an opportunity to focus on getting better, and not having any other stresses around you. It's worth giving it a try, even if you only go in for a couple of weeks.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to let me know.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:03 AM

It sounds like you're willing to fight it. If your psych is on your back a lot and not being very understanding it might be possible switching psych could be a good idea. I think the most important question is, with the right support, do you feel that you can fight and get through this? If you honestly do (and personally I believe you can, you're an extremely strong person to have come as far as you have despite everything that's happened) then make sure you're getting the support you need and don't give in.
If however, you're finding it too difficult to cope, hospital might be a good idea. I doubt it would cause any harm and might be of help, so if you're simply unsure, it could be worth a try.

Whatever you decide, stay strong and I really hope things work out well for you. Best of luck with everything

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sin Offline
*pixie in training*
Not a n00b

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:18 AM

I was in a physc hospital before for a few months, but to be honest i dont remember any of it. I was in a pretty bad way and was there against my will so was sedated most of the time. When i was well enough to not be sedated my care workers discharged me. I lived in a residential house so they thought i would get better alot quicker there. So although i spent a few months there I have no idea what its like.

I like the idea of being safe right now. But is it weak to give in? Should i try do it on my own first? But then like ye said i could be sectioned. I think ye're right, im just a bit unsure so maybe its worth a try. If it helps me it will be great, if it doesnt im in the same place i am now. I guess ive got nothing to lose

but i'm just surviving

and I'll keep believing

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:31 AM

NO it doesnt make you weak at all if you go to a hospital. It doesnt mean that you are giving in. It means that you are willing to fight. It means that you are fighting and that you just need more help.
I was in hospitals 4 times in my past. Two of the times were really positive experiences and if I was ready to help myself, they would have helped. But I still was at the point where I didnt want help- and in my opinion, unless someone wants help no amount of hospitals are going to help. But it sounds like you do want help through this. I think that you should really consider going on your own terms instead of being forced against your will to go.It would give you a chance to learn new ways to cope and it would allow you to rest because I know how tiring it is to fight every single day.
I think that going to a hospital would be good because its a safe place where you can kinda let your guard down and kinda re-energize. Its worth a try. And like you said, you dont have much to lose- if it helps great, and if it doesnt well then you can look into something else that might.

If you need to talk feel free to PM me. Good luck in whatever you decide.

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:37 AM

Hey there Sinead,

Personally, I haven't been an in-patient at a psychiatric hospital, so I can't tell you how I feel about this from a personal perspective. However, I have felt that, in the past, it could've been an option for me.

I think that there is absolutely no shame in being admitted to a hospital. You say that you like the idea of being safe right now and a hospital would be able to give that safety to you. It is certainly not weak to accept that safety - infact, it is a very brave step forward to make. It seems as though you are trying your very best to keep safe right now which is wonderful, but there's nothing wrong in reaching out for that extra support.
There is nothing to lose from being admitted to a psychiatric hospital, Sinead, but there could be a lot to gain. You deserve to be safe and well.

Take care of yourself.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:41 AM

Hey!

I was recently in hospital and as Rie said it was a 'safe place' for me. My CPN and doctor were on my back and I admit that I was probably in danger. It didn't help me an awful lot but sometimes just having that break helps you get your head clearer so that is a positive side. I can understand why you would want to fight but you really need to decide what it right for you. Also it would be a lot easier for you if you went in voluntarily rather than being sectioned. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

If you have any questions you can also PM. I'll be happy to help!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Sin Offline
*pixie in training*
Not a n00b

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:49 AM

Thank you so much for ye're advice. It means alot. Im going to go in to hospital. I deserve to be safe, i deserve the chance to get on with my life. More importantly i dont want to die. I dont feel very safe right now. So i hope im making the right decision. I rang my physc there and left a message. Waiting for her to get back to me now. Kinda nervous now. lol

Thank you again

but i'm just surviving

and I'll keep believing

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 09:58 AM

That's great to hear. And its really good that you did it there and then so then you didn't have time to think over it so much. (That even confuses me haha!) What I mean its good to ring her while you are willing to go in because otherwise you will just try think of excuses out of it. I'm sure its the right decision and I really hope it helps you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 10:02 AM

I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you for doing that! That took a lot of strength to make the decision you made to go to the hospital and to call your psych. You do deserve all those things- you deserve to get better, to have a break from all this stuff, to live, and to be safe. Im so proud of you for making this choice. I know its hard but you can do this. Hang in there. Try to use to hospital to your advantage and really be open when your there. Stay strong and true to yourself!

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Sin Offline
*pixie in training*
Not a n00b

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 12:38 PM

So its done..no going back now. My physc was really happy with me. She said its the first time I went to her on my own and asked for help instead of her having to ring me 50 times. Im going in at 6 tonight..eek. At least i dont have to wait until after the weekend, i def would have talked myself out of it by then. I think my pyhsc knew that though and thats why i got a bed for tonight.

So im scared...really really nervous...and i still havent told my family where im going...

I dont know if your allowed laptops? So i guess i wont be on here for a few weeks. You guys have been great. I love this site and the people here so il be back

*Heres to taking the first step to recovery*

but i'm just surviving

and I'll keep believing

(#12 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 12:43 PM

Good luck with everything. You've made the right decision.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 04:42 PM

Sounds like you definitely made the right decision. If you want to be safe hospital is the best option. If you're going in to hospital willingly to find help and to recover you should be truly proud of yourself for taking that step forward. Seeking any help at all really is the best way to fight and get through this and we all believe in you. Really hope it works out well for you and best of luck!

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Hospital? - July 2nd 2010, 05:11 PM

Sinead,

Your psych should be very happy with you and you should be very proud of yourself, too! I am proud of you for doing what you think is best for you. You deserve this safety. You have made a very big, strong decision so well done!

Seeing as this issue has been resolved, I will wish you the best of luck and close this thread now.
Take care of yourself, Sinead.

Closed Thread