TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Is this a mental condition, or am I just weird? - July 30th 2010, 07:25 AM

I have rather a lack of concern when it comes to people. I care only about myself - I can lie to people and feel no guilt, I can manipulate others and I find it entertaining. Sometimes, that is. I can lie to anyone, but I only enjoy manipulating people I know. I live by a strict code of honor that says treat people how you want to be treated, and I am nice and will be genuinely concerned about or want to help someone until they treat me badly.

People have called me a psychopath because of the no guilt thing, and because everything I do is geared towards helping myself, and I am openly not fond of people in general. But I can't be a psychopath - I do feel emotions, even if I don't always feel them at appropriate times (for example, I feel nothing at the death of a person...yet if an animal dies I will cry for hours). Perhaps I have something else - or perhaps I'm just odd. What do you think?

If you need more information I am happy to provide it. I understand you cannot diagnose me, and I have no wish to see a doctor as I do not have a problem with the way I am. I'm just curious to know if there is a chance people are correct about there being something wrong with me. Thanks.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Is this a mental condition, or am I just weird? - July 30th 2010, 10:11 AM

It can be a mental condition, or it can be a personality thing. So long as you don't cause considerable harm to others I wouldn't classify it as an illness per se.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nova Offline
I've developed a TH addiction.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is this a mental condition, or am I just weird? - July 31st 2010, 05:18 AM

Heh. I can't help but chuckle a little at this. As it reminds me a bit of the Abnormal Pyschology class I took a few quarters ago. As we learned about each new illness, everyone began diagnosing themselves with the little information that was presented. Really, I think that most people probably exhibit a least a little abnormal behavior, and it's easy to think there's something wrong with you when you hear examples of others.

I know a lot of people like you, actually. And I'm sort of like this myself. While I feel bad about those affected by death, I never cry and never know how to respond. And I'm rarely sad that even people I know have passed on. And that sort of bothers me more than not being bothered by it?

Anyway... back to you. I really only thing it's an illness if it's hurting yourself or others. Or if it affects you enough to interfere with your daily life in some way. If you're content and you're not hurting anyone. I say you're fine. And know that there are plenty of people out there like you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Is this a mental condition, or am I just weird? - July 31st 2010, 08:36 AM

I cant tell you what it may be because the list will be too long, I might as well just hand you a copy of the DSM-IV-TR and say "pick a page, it'll fit". What you're feeling may be due to an event that recently happened to you, causing this change in behaviours. Or if it is a mental condition, especially a personality disorder, you have to meet the requirements for that first. Either way, before anyone even suggests what it may be, we need a lot more information.

Or, the last possibility, there is no mental disorder. As odd as it is, media nowadays glorifies death. We're so used to seeing and hearing about someone dying in whatever ways for whatever reasons that we've become somewhat desensitized to it. But for animals, we're not. We're at most told about the incidents but the images are not shown as often in the news, they're shown heavily on websites we have to go out of our way to look at but the media won't do this for us. So, there's a chance you may be perfectly fine. Weird world.

But until more information is given, I can only give these possibilities. I also say to ignore those calling you a psychopath because chances are, they don't know what psychopathy is, and probably cannot tell you the difference between psychopathy (legal term) and anti-social personality disorder (medical term). If you want to test their knowledge, ask them what the PCL-R, PCL-YV or PCL-SV are (assessment tools best recognized for assessing psychopathy) or who Dr. Robert Hare is (the guy who is credited for making them and doing lots of psychotherapuetic research for psychopathy). If they cant answer either, then they know nothing on psychopathy and you shouldn't waste your time hearing their Hollywood and stereotypic fueled garbage.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this a mental condition, or am I just weird? - August 3rd 2010, 10:04 PM

It could be a medical condition or it could be a personality thing. Maybe go and see someone for more help. Alternatively you could talk to someone on here for further advice.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: Is this a mental condition, or am I just weird? - August 5th 2010, 12:06 AM

It could be a lot of different things. Anything from a personalty disorder, to the way that you were raised. My brother doesn't feel much, he enjoys watching other people suffer. I believe that he's like that because of his personalty, and the people he spends lots of time around. I know that he wasn't like this when I was a little girl, he became like this when he started hanging out with the friends he has now. I was really aggressive when I was ten because of the people that I hung out with, now I can't harm a fly without feeling guilty. I think that a lot of it could have something to do with the people that you spend time around. Or, it's just who you are.

Closed Thread