TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Eyes on Fire-Xx Offline
The doctor's next companion
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sumi

Hearing things? oO - August 4th 2010, 04:23 AM

well, iv kinda been hearing things for a little bit now...like car doors when theres no cars, people talking in another room when im alone in the house, people adressing me but being totaly canfused when i ask what, random whispering noises, people adressing me when im all alone like there next to me, the list goes on and on...er, WTF? O_o its seeeriously freaking me out, but there real sounds, or i think ther real, but just as clear as real sounds, totaly out of place or just scary. im not imaginig them cause they make me jump and happen at random...i dont think im crazy o_o but im hearing things...never realy talking to me, just in the backround or in other rooms, the creepiest is hearing my name like someones next to me...or foot steps everywere....gah, help, im so edgy cause if it o__o i have noooo clue whats goin on. and the sometimes theres so much babling/whisperig/noise around i get so frusterated... any ideas? anyone?

The strongest oaks
grow in opposing winds
and Diamonds are
made under
Pressure

PM me anytime for anything at all! <3<3<3

Last edited by Eyes on Fire-Xx; August 4th 2010 at 04:36 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Eyes on Fire-Xx Send a message via MSN to Eyes on Fire-Xx  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Hearing things? oO - August 4th 2010, 09:57 AM

Assuming you have no significant hearing disorders or neurological disorders affecting hearing, I'd say it's because of fear. When people are afraid, such as watching a horror movie at home by yourself in the dark, you notice more of the sounds you ignore outside or house creaking. You focus on those because of the fear brought on by the movie and thinking whatever is in the movie is happening outside. You feel in danger so the natural response is listen. The movie continues to drive your fear.

For you, this fear is perpetuated on and on. You hear something and you panic, then you pay more and more attention and keep panicking. Once someone enters the room, panicking goes away or reduces significantly because your attention is now on them. You may still remember the sounds you heard, ask the person who will not know what you're talking about and you're fearful once again. The person leaves, you get more fearful... you get the idea?

Your brain tries to make sense of what you're hearing and may perceive it as your name being called. It does this to understand what's being heard. Furthermore, at this point you're thinking you're crazy so your thinking now alters the perception to be that of auditory hallucinations. This goes hand-in-hand with the cycle mentioned above.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Hearing things? oO - August 4th 2010, 11:27 AM

I would agree with the poster above, it could entirely be from fear. Numerous times, I would come home paranoid someone was in the house with me. Meanwhile, I was spending all my energy on thinking about these things, causing me to be even more aware and I would scare myself to the point of thinking I heard things.

However, I feel you should also be aware of the other alternatives. Given, they may or may not be right, but I feel knowing what it could be will help you decide what to do from here. If you've had a mental health past, meaning been depressed, took medications, if you still suffer from this or anxiety, these are all factors. It is possible it is your mental health. Meaning, you would be a better fit candidate to fit the category of schizophrenia. You may want to read into it. When I was having my moments of being schizophrenic, it was due to medication overdose. Medication can be a cause. Even at the proper doses. However, I would always know someone was talking, but I could never hear what they were saying. But it was a deep sound in my mind. Things like that. I can't say for sure if you've experienced this, but try and google some stories.

If you need anything or want to talk more, let me know

Take care
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Eyes on Fire-Xx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hearing things? oO - August 4th 2010, 01:43 PM

i guess it could be fear, but im not scared, its like my sister sitting there, i think she says ''hey, colleen'' so i turn and ask what, but she hadnt said anything, or i hear my dad tell me somthing kinda mumbly, but hes not there or compleatly confused when i ask. Iv got depression, but im not on meds, and my brother is scitzophrenic, but from his dads side, my dad is his step dad..

The strongest oaks
grow in opposing winds
and Diamonds are
made under
Pressure

Last edited by Eyes on Fire-Xx; August 4th 2010 at 03:03 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to Eyes on Fire-Xx Send a message via MSN to Eyes on Fire-Xx  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: Hearing things? oO - August 4th 2010, 11:59 PM

Are you positive that there isn't a TV on, or maybe the neighbors have guests over?
Sometimes when I'm in the basement, I'll hear my named called from upstairs. I'll go up and ask who called for me to find that nobody did. But before I assume anything I rule out the possibility of the house settling, the cat or the dog, a TV, music being played, car passing, people outside, the list is endless. The more that you think about it, the more likely you are to imagine it, or make it happen(possible, but not all that probable.).
There are many things of what this could be, but it always depends on your beliefs.
PM or VM me if you need anything.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Hearing things? oO - August 5th 2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeping Angel View Post
i guess it could be fear, but im not scared, its like my sister sitting there, i think she says ''hey, colleen'' so i turn and ask what, but she hadnt said anything, or i hear my dad tell me somthing kinda mumbly, but hes not there or compleatly confused when i ask. Iv got depression, but im not on meds, and my brother is scitzophrenic, but from his dads side, my dad is his step dad..
If you only hear things as you're describing, chances are you would not be diagnosed as schizophrenic. However, with schizophrenia, there's a spectrum of disorders on it. But that aside, if there's a TV on, hearing a neighbour babble through a nearby open window or whatever else, then it could be that. If you hear a sound that sounds like your father, then your brain tries to figure it out, and if it sounds like your father, it may assume it is your father. This could also work for you perceiving your sister is talking to you. The other reason I'm doubtful is schizophrenia is your age. When people are diagnosed younger, it's because their symptoms are pretty severe, and yours aren't. It could be other disorders along the schizophrenia spectrum but even then, at a younger age for those, generally it's because it's more severe.

If you go to a doctor about this, first thing I'd do is get a hearing test on this.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eyes on Fire-Xx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hearing things? oO - August 5th 2010, 05:05 PM

I know its not scitzophrenia, ik a loooot bout it, cause my brother is severly scitzophrenic and i researched it when he was dignosed. no, i thinki figured it out, auditory hulucinations can be caused by sleep deprevtion (i barely sleep) and stress (my hairs turning white from it x.x) so, i need to sleep better and unwind. thank you all, tho :3 you helped clear things up.

The strongest oaks
grow in opposing winds
and Diamonds are
made under
Pressure

Closed Thread