TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
weka Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Does life get better? - August 21st 2010, 05:02 PM

Right now, I'm 17. I start college on Sept 9. I do NOT like my life. First of all, I've been a a depression spiral because I seem to be very anti-social. I think that makes me weird. People tell me dumb things to my face and been bullied for 3 years of high school. Up to the point where I WAS the one getting suspended [for 2 weeks...] (for saying something I shouldn't have -- almost expelled). And while I do HAVE friends -- I never see them because they live 50 mins away and I do not have a car to drive yet. I stay in my bedroom because it's the only fun thing to do. Every where else is just a bunch of houses or the school park which is OK. If I had a woods in my backyard -- I'd totally explore it. Anyway, to add on to that - I have stress. I have stress of failing college and not getting my degree that I wanted... and because I needed a tutor all through highschool -- I think that makes me destined to fail... at subjects like math especially... =\

I'm just wondering -- is life going to get better... in 5-10 years??

Give me a cookie? =D ^^ Click it!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
:)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Does life get better? - August 21st 2010, 06:36 PM

Of course life will only get better if you change for the better. Everyone is built differently and some people need to work a tad bit harder in getting good grades. Just have the confidence and the will to pull through and remind yourself that you can do anything
As for friends, just go out of your comfort zone and talk to someone you never hung out with. You never know!
The only way to get people to stop bullying you is to tell them straight in the face to stop. Don't give them the satisfaction of thinking that they are better than you.

I'm not the best at giving advice but I hope this helps

Laugh as much as you breathe
and love as long as you live

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Clover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Does life get better? - August 23rd 2010, 05:22 AM

Life can get better, but a lot of the responsibility does fall upon you. I think that getting off to college will be a good thing for you. Of course you're scared, everybody gets scared. It's a huge change in your life. But it's also a chance to get away from the things that have been making you unhappy, it's a chance to meet new friends and become more independent. When you get to school (or even before if the information is on the internet), look up your school's tutoring services, counseling services, student activities, you name it. Identify for yourself things that you can look forward to doing (and maybe make a few friends while you're at it?) and also resources that can help you should you need it.

In short, treat college as a new beginning and go into it with confidence. Good luck and hang in there. It gets better soon.

“It’s better to lose some of the battles in the struggle for your dreams than to be defeated without ever even knowing what you’re fighting for.” ~Paulo Coelho

わすれないでひとりじゃないよ。

(#4 (permalink)) Old
someoneoutthere Offline
*if you really knew me*
Not a n00b

Name: R.

Re: Does life get better? - August 27th 2010, 11:31 PM

just for now, focus on school. you've got your whole life ahead of you to make friends, have fun and be social. thats how i got through the first bit of high school and eventually friends came my way. college will be the place where you can start over and make a good impression on people who don't have an idea of who you are yet. life will get better, just give it some time.

-i still believe,
that there is more love than hate, theres more heart than ache,
and we are stuck in this great big world together-
<3
-red jumpsuit apparatus

(#5 (permalink)) Old
weka Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Does life get better? - August 28th 2010, 02:28 AM

i should note that i'm going to a community college... i am not staying there so life won't change _much_. but thanks

(#6 (permalink)) Old
weka Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Does life get better? - August 28th 2010, 02:25 PM

My day just got a lot better cause it's my birthday today! Thanks!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lovetakesoverr Offline
Average Joe

Name: Haylen

Re: Does life get better? - August 28th 2010, 07:49 PM

Life can always get better Just keep your head, and hope up!

But those sequins on her dress.. boy, they threw you over the edge.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: Does life get better? - August 29th 2010, 08:48 AM

life ALWAYS gets better you just have to try, stop worrying, make a plan and persue it, if you feel anti social maybe volunteer at a animal reserve or something animals and therapudic and you will have interaction with people while having something around to make you feel comfortable, buy new clothes be active do things that make you happy if there is nothing that makes you happy find something that does, physicial activity is gret for depression and anxiety and its proven students who are active and do homework do alot better in school you just gotta brush yourself off and give it your best shot good luck my friend

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Does life get better? - August 29th 2010, 01:28 PM

Life doesn't get better, but it gets different in a good way

(#10 (permalink)) Old
weka Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Does life get better? - August 30th 2010, 02:49 AM

eh. i just don't see the reason to keep going. i mean, you'll have kids, family, work, etc. but i just don't see myself happy in 10 years... 3 years. 3 months... 1 month. Especially during college which I will probably flunk because I'm "gifted" and need a tutor. I'm not mentally-ill, no, i just need a tutor. The thing is though, I'm overcome with greif everyday for a lot of flaws that I count in my life... I just think that maybe.. just maybe.. once I get past this college -- that I will have friends, a car to drive, no college, a good job....

:\

(#11 (permalink)) Old
someoneoutthere Offline
*if you really knew me*
Not a n00b

Name: R.

Re: Does life get better? - August 30th 2010, 03:47 AM

theres always a reason to keep going if you look hard enough. theres your first car, the sense of independance and freedom, and anything else you can think of.
right now, going to college, you have the opportunity to do whatever you want and whatever you 've dreamed of doing. it may be stressful but with focus, confidence and determination, i know you can pull through.
you may have had a tutor in highschool, but that doesn't mean you're not smart or anything. everyone grasps concepts at different paces, it has nothing to do with your learning capability. it takes me a while too, especially with math.
there may not be anything catching your eye in life right now, but after some time, you'll find everything you've ever wanted.
PM anytime, BEST of luck in college!

-i still believe,
that there is more love than hate, theres more heart than ache,
and we are stuck in this great big world together-
<3
-red jumpsuit apparatus

(#12 (permalink)) Old
teen spirit Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cantina

Re: Does life get better? - August 30th 2010, 06:45 PM

I used to think that life was a struggle and I couldn't do anything about it because it was my "fate." I was "average" in school and I struggled to no end in some subjects (like math-extremely hard for me!). I can now tell you that I missed out on alot in life just by that way of limited thinking. I say "limited" only because that was all I knew at the time. Once I began to focus more on my strengths (and we all have strengths! Whether it be drawing, writing, making people laugh, helping people, good with animals ect...we all have something that we can call our strength)...I began to watch my life change before my very eyes! Because instead of focusing on what I didn't like or what I wasn't so great at, and began focusing on and doing more of what I loved, my spirits lifted and each day began to look brighter and brighter.
Think of College as a "fresh" start. You now have a clean slate to be who you want to be (instead of what others expect you to be). Be yourself. Start a conversation with the person seated next to you...take a chance and who knows? That too may be the beginning to a long lasting friendship-you won't know unless you put yourself out there and just try. It involves coming out of your comfort zone bit by bit but the more you practice outside of where you feel safe and secure...the easier it will get! Believe me, I was once there too!
Fearing the future just brings on unnecessary anxiety and stress...enjoy today, right now and just let life happen. Try not to worry about next week. Besides, there will be plenty of others in your shoes just as apprehensive about starting at a new college as you are-you are not alone!
I can read here that you are not a quitter because you took the time and made the effort to get tutored in the areas that you needed and you made it into College! I know many people who did not get accepted into College or University because they chose the easy way out in High School and instead of spending extra time on studying and homework...they decided to party or hang out with their friends instead thinking that things will be ok and they will be able to still get into College or University...it didn't happen for them so they were faced with being left behind in High School (as their friends continued on without them) to complete another year to try and raise their marks. And others...decided to quite and get jobs instead of continuing their education. But you...you are different. You are determined and hard working. So with that, that proves that you can do anything you set your mind to! It won't be easy (no one promised us that life would be easy) but you are willing to put in your time and effort to give it your 100% and that is to be admired and commended!
Its easy to give up...but it takes a certain kind of person to buckle up the seat belt and do the best that you can....I believe you are that kind of person who never gives up!
I was the one who chose to give up because I didn't believe in myself. I know alot more now and missed out on some exciting opportunities in my life...BUT my passion is to help others to not make the same mistakes I made. I have an amazing life now but I had to learn the hard and more difficult way...I don't want you to learn the hard way...
I am here if you need me...just send me a message. I will reply as soon as I can and I will help anyway I can....
Stay strong!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Does life get better? - August 30th 2010, 11:09 PM

Life definitely gets better! Things are always changing and you know that saying "nothing lasts forever"? Well that includes the bad stuff too!

PM // VM

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Does life get better? - August 31st 2010, 09:12 AM

I live my life day by day, no worry about the past and no worry about the future.

I live my life the way I want to live (besides work). Enjoying everyday (again besides work).

Closed Thread