TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Question Panic Attacks? - August 30th 2010, 08:03 AM

So I've done some research, and I'm pretty sure what I thought was me "over reacting" is me having a panic attack?? I've looked at the signs of panic attacks and some of it matches up with what happens to me. One SMALL thing will happen and I'll just freak out, I'll start crying and shaking and gasping for breath cuz i can barely breathe, then i start like rolling around on my bed cuz i cant stay still and then sometimes i can calm myself down, and ill just be sitting there fine, and then a few seconds later ill start freaking out again. and a lot of times these result in my cutting myself :/ but tonight i didn't do that when i had one... so that's good. but yeah. opinions please? and if these are panic attacks, what mental disorder would that be? cuz i know that's not really normal... thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Panic Attacks? - August 30th 2010, 08:08 AM

Depends. Panic attacks can happen for many reasons, and various disorders have them as a symptom.

Any particular triggers for these attacks?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Re: Panic Attacks? - August 30th 2010, 08:09 AM

i only have them when it has to do with my boyfriend

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Panic Attacks? - August 30th 2010, 08:10 AM

More specifically, describe some scenarios of this, if you don't mind?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Re: Panic Attacks? - August 30th 2010, 08:14 AM

hmm okay, well the one that happend tonight it wasn't even a big deal now that i think about it, he called me and we talked for like five or six mins but he like wasn't really talking and i was trying to make conversation then hes just like "bye" and hung up, and then i waited a few mins thinking he was kidding and was gonna call back, but he didnt and then that's when i freaked out.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Panic Attacks? - August 30th 2010, 08:18 AM

Well, maybe its not a disorder? I don't know, I've never heard of one pertaining to just relationships, but there could be something. Or maybe it's just panic from fear of the relationship crumbling? I mean, panic attacks can happen without a disorder.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: Panic Attacks? - August 31st 2010, 04:42 AM

I remember you posting something about this earlier in the depression thread. Congratulations on making headway in understanding your problems.

Panic attacks. That actually makes a lot of sense. The reason it would be central to your boyfriend would most likely be that he has a strong emotional impact on you. Your attachment to him could be triggering these whenever something you perceive as a negative action on his part arrives.

I mean, you had previously mentioned in your other thread and in your signature about the up-and-down nature of your relationship with him. This uncertainty could be triggering these potential panic attacks. It's not the negative reaction from him that causes the panic attack. It is only the trigger. The potential heartache, more ups-and-downs, and a whole slippery slope of anxious thoughts or feelings can rush in at one sight of a trigger.

Panic attacks are generally difficult to stop when they are happening because they are so pervasive. Depending on the frequency of these attacks you may wish to see a doctor. If they determine you are in fact having panic attacks then they can prescribe you some short-term use medicines that you can take as-needed that can kill a panic attack within 20-30 minutes and keep them away for 6-8 hours.

This would only be a temporary relief. If you can get to the heart of why they are happening then you may be able to find a way to reduce the frequency of your panic attacks or relieve them all together.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Panic Attacks? - September 9th 2010, 02:09 AM

I have panic attacks. What you said kinda sounds like what happens to me too.
I think that the reason that it happens about your boyfriend is because he's a super emotional connection. Panic attacks happen when stress builds and anxiety attacks are different. An anxiety attack is supposed to happen for a certain reason so that could be what that is. This is all just stuff I've learned from researching what I have. I hope I helped....I'm on medication for mine so I haven't had one in a little while, I still have anxiety though. Just wondering, do you ever feel like your going to have one but then you calm down?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Panic Attacks? - September 9th 2010, 04:35 PM

Sounds like anxiety attacks. I used to have those as a kid. You have to train your mind not to concentrate on it, take deep breaths and try to remain calm, remember there's nothing to be worried or afraid of, everything is going to be fine, just try to lay still and breathe steadily, think about good things that give you some peace and serenity, just close your eyes and try and relax and don't let it get to you. I had to train myself to do these things and decided I wasn't going to let it get the best of me, I beat them and now they never bother me. You can beat them too, you just have to be stronger than the panic attack itself, which may seem hard but it isn't. I know it's hard to understand it but you have to beat them yourself, mentally. I hope this helped.

Closed Thread