TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Peter. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Emotionlessness ?? - September 13th 2010, 07:21 PM

Hey.. This is like my first post so if I mess it up I apologise..

Well as you may have gathered from the title, this is about me feeling bugger all if anything when it comes to the whole emotional thing.

I guess it started a few years back and it's just grown..

Anyways, I can't quite word it so I'll try this.. I feel hollow ?? It's like something ripped out any part of humanity from me and just left me a husk...

It's like many of my old relatives have bit the dust over recent years but I can't really remember them, or feel anything about it. I don't get sad, or upset or even miss them.. This results in a slight feeling of irritation that I then give up on because it's only my logic feeling it not actual feeling.

I haven't told my folkes because they're pretty p.o'd at me for not letting them take this photo and stuff. That and they never listen anyway so I don't bother trying anymore.

I don't talk to my friends either cause like I feel that I'm just putting my burdens on top of their own and that's selfish and generally nasty so I prefer to just help them out..

I also seem to lack any effort to do anything and never really feel anything for girls, which as a teenager going through the whole adolescence stage seems odd to me.

Maybe I'm making this more than it is.. I hope not.. Sorry if you think I am..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 03:52 AM

Well, do you have Depressed feelings about anything at all? And how do you feel if someone close to you gets hurt? How would you feel if your mom were to start crying, for example?

There are many answers to what you've mentioned, so maybe some further detail will give better insight?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 04:25 AM

There is a good amount of information lacking but without that it seems that you would have this emotionlessness and lack to want to do anything as a result of being depressed. I'm choosing my wording carefully in saying "being depressed" because I don't want to use the term "depression" and get into the mess of amateur misdiagnoses. The attraction or lack thereof to girls may be a consequence of this or could be something entirely different. I would bet though that even if it is not directly due to this, it is somewhat influenced by this because it involves a lack of caring and feeling too bummed out to care about attraction to girls around you.

Try to talk with your friends about this but not to dump everything on at once as they may not know how to react or what to do. If you mention that you're feeling bummed out because various family members have recently died, they may be able to try and support you but not to a degree where they apply psychotherapy. If one or more of their relatives passed away and they're in a similar situation or know someone who is, it can allow you to talk about it and hopefully feel better because you've gotten this load off your chest, still have your friends and haven't put a huge burden onto them. Depending how it makes you feel, your family may notice your change in behaviour and although you don't need to tell them why or who you talked to, it can make them happier if you're willing to take a photograph with them.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Peter. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 06:54 PM

@ ArcAngel:
No I don't really, when someone like my mum crys then I just seem to walk past it like it's nothing.. What detail are you looking for ?? Sorry I messed up =/

@ Wow:
I apologise for my lack of detail, I'm not good at this opening up to people thing so I'm not used to putting anything in detail, what do you need ??
I wouldn't say I was depressed cause I don't feel sad, I just feel like there's nothing to me ?? Gah, I'm bad at this wording thing.
I see what you mean about the whole girl thing and how it would link to being depressed but I don't feel such.
But the point I was trying to make with the dead relatives is that I don't mourn them, I never have. I don't even miss them. It was my grandma's anniversary on sunday but I just went on like normal..

Sorry for the lack of detail guys, I'm really quite bad at this by the looks of things.. Thank you though

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
I apologise for my lack of detail, I'm not good at this opening up to people thing so I'm not used to putting anything in detail, what do you need ??
I wouldn't say I was depressed cause I don't feel sad, I just feel like there's nothing to me ?? Gah, I'm bad at this wording thing.
Depression isn't sadness, it's rather an emptiness, a nothingness, a void. I agree with Wow, diagnosis is an absolute minefield but I absolutely do belief you should talk to a professional about all this.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 08:26 PM

I know how you feel, was described antidepressants and never took them... I dont know if i should as my feelings havent changed but i'm scared to take them.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post
I know how you feel, was described antidepressants and never took them... I dont know if i should as my feelings havent changed but i'm scared to take them.
Tell your psychologist, you can get off depression without the use of antidepressants.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Tell your psychologist, you can get off depression without the use of antidepressants.
dont have one....
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post
dont have one....
You really should get one! This is an illness you have, remember?
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 08:53 PM

I dont know.. Hospital waiting times to see a doctor are rediculous. I've waited 4 months for an appointment to get a dermatafibrosis looked at which i thought it would important as it changed... they've not seen it yet.

My parents are both on Antidepressants and I dont want to ahve to take pills. I've just got into a rut of being anxious, emotionless, low self-esteem and being so selfconscience.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 09:25 PM

I'd still look into it, often different faculties have different waiting times (although here it's the mental health system that has the infinite waiting times...).
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Emotionlessness ?? - September 14th 2010, 09:27 PM

i'll have a think about it... see how things are in a few weeks once uni starts. thanks.
Closed Thread