TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Question I've been thinking... - October 9th 2010, 06:24 PM

I've been thinking it wouldn't hurt to start seeing a Councillor. My doctor gave me a list of free ones and costly ones, people who specialize in people who are also suicidal, and I've been wanting to talk to someone and get some help recently.
Things in my family have been rocky, although we love each other and that's important. It's just alot of stress financially and plus brewing feelings I have inside of myself and other problems I think someone can help me handle. I'm thinking a Councillor could perhaps help me deal with my feelings and deal with the stress better. I've talked to the doc about the anxiety, depression, the insomnia, unable to sleep and feeling stressed out and even getting hot flashes and he told me the health problems could be due to these feelings and I should talk to someone, or at least give it a shot.
How about you guys, do you think it could help? Have you talked to a Councillor before, and how much help are they?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: I've been thinking... - October 9th 2010, 11:43 PM

Hey! I think going to a counselor could be a lot of help for you. Personally, I think just about everyone could benefit from seeing one every now and again. It's just nice to have that third party to talk to...someone unattached from all the different situations in your life and someone who can give you a professional, helpful opinion.
The tricky part is finding someone that you are comfortable with. For some people, this isn't much of a problem at all. With me, I jumped from counselor to counselor for years and eventually quit going all together because I could never find someone that I was comfortable with and could be 100% honest with...therefore, holding me back from making any progress. But, when I started college I ended up trying counseling again at the free place on campus and I loved by counselor. She was great. She was just a perfect fit for me.
So, definitely look into it. And if you don't like the first counselor you see after a few sessions, try a new one! There's someone out there that you will be comfortable with, and hey, who knows, maybe you'll be one of those people that finds the right person the first time.
It will probably be hard, especially at first, when they are trying to get to know you and really find out about things in the past and stuff like that, but stick with it. It can really help a lot.
Good luck!

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: I've been thinking... - October 11th 2010, 12:43 AM

Hey,

I think that counseling would be a good idea for you to try out.
I myself just started counseling, so I can't give any full oppinions about it, I've only gone to one session, but I can tell you it was nice to have someone sit there and listen and give advice on what I can do for myself. I like the thought of counseling because you aren't talking to someone you know and no one else has to know what you discuss with a counselor so what you say stays with them and isn't going to be talked about with anyone.
I know the first session will probably be hard, it was for me, but I know that over time as you get comfortable with the person, it should be easier to open up and discuss what you need and want to discuss.
I hope I have helped,
If you ever need anything, you can PM me, I'll be here for you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread