TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Innate Bigotry - October 19th 2010, 06:57 AM

Hey, what's up everyone? I have kinda accepted that I am innately bigoted towards other people. I want to try and lower that level of bigotry but I am having trouble. I have a really strong hate towards Hispanics, I admit it, mostly it came from being stuck in Spanish class as the only language offered and hating it, especially since our class had to do all this cultural stuff. I see a Hispanic person and my first though it "Fucking immigrants", I can't help it, I tell myself their probably a perfectly nice person and they love America and speak perfect English but I just can't not think bigottedly towards them.

It's really bad towards Hispanics mostly, and Russians, I never had any bad feelings towards Asians, go figure.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Innate Bigotry - October 19th 2010, 01:56 PM

Best thing would probably be to socialize with Spanish and Russian people, get to know them and perhaps like them as a person. As long as your views of them don't inhibit you from communicating with them in a positive way, find people who are Russian or Spanish and kick up a conversation. Are your parents unsupportive of your bigotry or do they share the same views? I'm not sure if TH will be much help in this, but have you tried talking to Russian and Spanish TH members?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Innate Bigotry - October 20th 2010, 07:25 AM

No my parents are not supportive of my bigotry, but no, I absolutely detest communication with them, and try to avoid it at all cost.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Innate Bigotry - October 21st 2010, 07:04 AM

Well, I'd say give it a shot if you wanna fix the problem...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Innate Bigotry - October 21st 2010, 07:25 AM

Sometimes you need to tackle the problem head on and the only way to do this is to start speaking to them and getting to know them like was mentioned before.

I know this isn't the same thing but sometimes when I first meet someone I dislike them for no apparant reason but once I get to know them I don't dislike them anymore.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Innate Bigotry - October 21st 2010, 03:04 PM

Living in Atlanta, there's a lot of Hispanics. When my friends and I want to play basketball, there's usually some at the basketball court. What usually ends up happening is that they go against us and we play a large basketball game full court. During the game, we don't communicate to each other, and we have a lot of fun in the process. In the end, we're able to respect each other (my group of friends consists of Asians, African-American, and White). So I think that you should find a way to play a sport with them, that way you won't have to say anything...maybe a shake a hand or two, and use your hate in a positive manner by improving your gameplay. Because after I play with some Hispanics that barely speak English and such, I realize that they're just like you and I and it makes me respect them more.

Besides, playing a sport with random strangers is never comfortable with anyone. So no one really feels talkative when playing against people they don't know. So if you wanted to avoid conversation with them, they would probably feel the same way (but for a different reason...just because they don't know you while you just detest them). I think that would be your best bet.

Closed Thread