TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
None. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Dependent Personality Disorder? D: - October 21st 2010, 09:50 PM

I think I have this.
Here's a link to the site explaining this disorder: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disord..._disorder.aspx

"Inability to make decisions, even everyday decisions, without the advice and reassurance of others"

This describes me sometimes.

"Avoidance of personal responsibility; avoidance of jobs that require independent functioning and positions of responsibility"

I want a job but I haven't made any effort to get one. I don't like the idea of being on my own.

"Intense fear of abandonment and a sense of devastation or helplessness when relationships end; often move right into another relationship when one ends"

Is completely true. The thought of being abandoned is horrible to me. It makes me want to die. I fear it constantly.

"Over-sensitivity to criticism"

I get upset when people criticize me so I have to say yes.

"Pessimism and lack of self-confidence, including a belief that they are unable to care for themselves"

I am extremely pessemestic and I don't really have much self confidence. I don't know if I could make it on my own.

"Avoidance of disagreeing with others for fear of losing support or approval"

I do this a lot. Especially with those I care about.

"Inability to start projects"

I procrastinate alot to the point where it hurts my grade severely and I am very lazy so.. Idk?

"Difficulty being alone"

I hate being alone.

"Willingness to tolerate mistreatment and abuse from others"

I might stay even if my gf was mistreating me cause I don't want to lose them so?..

"Placing the needs of their caregivers above their own"

I definitely put other peoples needs above mine.

"Tendency to be naïve and to live in fantasy"

I fantasize about the future a lot so idk?

Some other things you should are know is that I always think the worst. When I get a text saying "Josh!!!" or "hey!!" or "guess what!!?" or anything with uncertainty and a possible negative outcome I always think the absolute worst. Whenever I see a message from the person I care about and its vague and could be taken more than one way I always take it the wrong way. This is very draining. I worry constantly about the person I care about and this takes a toll on me. I get really upset when we don't talk. I need constant reassurance that they love me.

I think I have this and would like your opinion on this. I want to learn how to deal with this because the fear of losing my special someone is so intense that it hurts a lot and consumes my thoughts. If any of you know that you have this please let me know. Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Dependent Personality Disorder? D: - October 21st 2010, 10:57 PM

Josh,

A lot of people have those type of personality features, such as not like being alone. But some things sound a bit extreme. Nobody here can diagnose you so I strongly advise that you go see a professional. I think there is a possibility you could have this or maybe something else, but talk to somebody for proper guidance.

Take care, and PM me if you need anything.

Apollo

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Dependent Personality Disorder? D: - October 21st 2010, 11:09 PM

First of all, you're 16 years old. I'm sure many people getting close to ending high school get panicky by the idea of growing up.

Second, as Apollo said, nobody here can diagnose you, since listing criteria doesn't really say much, for many reasons. Seeing a professional is the only way anybody can give you any answers to this.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread