TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WinterCritter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - October 27th 2010, 07:01 PM

Hi!

Well, I've suffered from severe social anxiety disorder and depression for about 6-7 years now. I've tried natural homeopathy, self-help books, and talking to a counselor, none of them worked. So now I cannot even get to my special anxiety school program, my mom said it's time to go on medication.

So I just got back from the doctor and she prescribed me prozac. I'm reading about it, and there seems to be an awful lot of horrible side effects some people get, but others get none at all. I'm already starting to feel anxious and afraid to take it.

So I'm wondering should I just try it and see? Or tell my mom I don't want it. The thing is I already told her I don't want to take medicine for it really, but she said I have to, it's the only way now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - October 27th 2010, 07:14 PM

I was prescribed Citalopram, and felt similar to you when taking it. I was so nervous :/
I looked at it as; what have I got to loose? You won't know if it'll help until you try it out. Most people experience some side effects when they first take meds, but usually they only last a couple of weeks at the most.

While they might be a bit crap at first, in the long run, they might be of help. Medication doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a shot if you're stuck for anything else to do :/ As far as I'm aware, they do take a few months until they properly work effectively, but surely it's worth a try? You don't deserve to be unhappy and they might help!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! If you dislike them, you can always just stop taking them, or try a different medication. It's all up to you! (:

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
WinterCritter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - October 27th 2010, 07:53 PM

Hm, that's true! If it truly is my last option, I might as well give it a try. I guess if I have any side effects I can just go off it.

Thanks.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - October 28th 2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterCritter View Post
Hm, that's true! If it truly is my last option, I might as well give it a try. I guess if I have any side effects I can just go off it.

Thanks.
Prozac, or Citalopram as it's also known, like any other antidepressants does have known side effects. First, thoroughly acquaint yourself with the patient's information leaflet that comes with the pack. Don't throw it away, you might need to refer to it again.

One of the side effects as stated on the Prozac information leaflet, is reduced appetite and also, in certain cases, reduced sex drive. I am not in any way suggesting those side effects will affect you, but I'm glad your Mum insists on your trying them, see how you get on.

I would, however, suggest that if you think you need to come off Prozac for any reason that you do it gradually. But before you make any decision, talk to Mum first and see what she says. Never suddenly stop antidepressant meds as you may feel rough.

I've been on Prozac but quite some time ago. It didn't work for me. I had the appetite of a mouse and my sex drive went into reverse; but, we are all so very different.

Mum knows best, even if you disagree. Prozac does help lift anxiety and depression, but it needs to be taken for a while before it clicks in. Be patient with yourself, listen to her and give it your best shot.

Last edited by BanksyRat; October 28th 2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WordNerd
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lindsay

Re: Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - October 28th 2010, 08:48 PM

I think if you are anxious about taking anxiety meds, it's time for you to just do it.

"If you are going to tell the truth, be funny, or they'll kill you."
-Billy Wilder

My tumblr is mydalekromance.tumblr.com please visit me there.

feel free to contact me anytime.
Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing
  Send a message via AIM to llamasliketoparty  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
WinterCritter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - October 29th 2010, 06:05 PM

BanksyRat - The meds didn't come with any information. They just came in a bottle and that's it. o.o I just took my first one today so.. we will see what happens. I never said my mom doesn't know best, I'm sure she does. I just feel uncomfortable with medication such as this, but I have to do it, don't I? So I am.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - October 29th 2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanksyRat View Post

Prozac, or Citalopram as it's also known, like any other antidepressants does have known side effects. First, thoroughly acquaint yourself with the patient's information leaflet that comes with the pack. Don't throw it away, you might need to refer to it again.

One of the side effects as stated on the Prozac information leaflet, is reduced appetite and also, in certain cases, reduced sex drive. I am not in any way suggesting those side effects will affect you, but I'm glad your Mum insists on your trying them, see how you get on.

I would, however, suggest that if you think you need to come off Prozac for any reason that you do it gradually. But before you make any decision, talk to Mum first and see what she says. Never suddenly stop antidepressant meds as you may feel rough.

I've been on Prozac but quite some time ago. It didn't work for me. I had the appetite of a mouse and my sex drive went into reverse; but, we are all so very different.

Mum knows best, even if you disagree. Prozac does help lift anxiety and depression, but it needs to be taken for a while before it clicks in. Be patient with yourself, listen to her and give it your best shot.

Prozac isn't the same as citalopram.
However they are both members of the class of drugs known as SSRI's.

To the op, i say give it a go. i've been on citalopram for a while now, first two weeks i felt quite ill. No idea about prozac though but whats the worst that can happen? your doctor will keep a eye on you anyway during your treatment incase you do get any side effects.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
inFAMOUS Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kody

Re: Feeling scared about taking a prescribed anxiety/depression drug. - November 3rd 2010, 09:17 AM

you really should take it. it balances your hormones and mind out, it helps alot and dont even think about the side effects, it will just stress you out more than needed

Closed Thread