TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*x.Kathryn.x* Offline
beLIEve
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kathryn

Exclamation Neuropsychologist Evaluation? - November 5th 2010, 03:28 AM

(this is probably in the wrong category, sorry)

Have you guys ever had to have one? My doctor is scheduling one for me soon and I have no clue what I should do. I'm really scared about what might happen once I tell them all the things wrong with me and my life. I'd like to keep myself out of our state's only asylum.

How cruel is the golden rule?

I'm the kind of kid
that can't let anything go
but you wouldn't know a good thing
if it came up and slit your throat...

""How does that make you feel?" is the most annoying sentence in the English language."-myself

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Neuropsychologist Evaluation? - November 5th 2010, 07:21 AM

I haven't had a neuropsychological evaluation but I do study in this area and have done research papers for university in it. The evaluation begins with the neuropsychologist having an interview with you and possibly your parents if you want them to be in it. You tell them what you are experiencing and since you likely were referred to them, they have some knowledge of what you're experiencing but it's not a lot. You probably will be put through a battery of tests and may also get neuroimaging scans if you haven't had recent ones yet. These tests often have you say or do something and often it takes a while since there are many tests done one after the other. They may also involve tests where you fill out tests by answering questions.

I cant tell you what the specific tests would be since there are numerous ones. Some may seem odd because of the tasks they ask you to do but what I've read on here from other people's experiences is that it takes a while and not very exciting.

You may end up getting a rather lengthy report that gives the results and the meaning of them along with a suggested diagnosis but not right away. Don't be intimidated by its length because much of it is reciting the results which are meaningless if you haven't studied in the field but they're required to give the results.

Just a tip of advice, as much as you may want to avoid being hospitalized, I wouldn't lie on the tests because many have scales designed to detect if you're lying and others can detect this by inconsistencies that are only explained by you lying. It's also problematic when this is told to you as it brings another issue in and more stress.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread