TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Timeflies Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Bipolar depression? - November 28th 2010, 10:33 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My boyfriend and i believe that i suffer from bipolar depression. i lash out one minute and am crying the next. I have also had feelings of worthlessness and i feel unloved sometimes. My boyfriend has almost broken up with me because of it and its hurting the people around me. I feel like no one loves and cares for me. I dont want to feel like this anymore. Do i need to feel like this? is it my fault? (i feel like cutting gives me hope but i dont want to cut anymore. ) help please.
  Send a message via AIM to Timeflies  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Bipolar depression? - November 29th 2010, 12:06 AM

Hey there. Depression isn't your fault. When I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. My doctor told me that it is harder to diagnose people with Bipolar, if you're not a doctor. So we can't tell you if you are or not. The best bet is to talk to your doctor. Let him or her know how you're feeling. They can help, and will tell you if you have bipolar or not. Definitely try not to cut, it is a horrible addiction and hard to get out of it once your in it. When you're talking to your doctor, make sure you mention EVERYTHING. That's the only thing I regret is not telling my doctor certain things.

Good luck, you can always PM me if you need anything.
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bipolar depression? - November 29th 2010, 05:44 AM

Honestly, depends, Bipolar involves Mania as a diagnostic criteria. And well, from what you've described, Mania seems to not be an issue.

I still suggest you go to your doctor though, because it does sound like a case of Depression that should be checked out nonetheless.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jenna Peterson Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jenna

Re: Bipolar depression? - November 29th 2010, 07:21 AM

"Lashing out one minute, and crying the next" does not sound like bipolar depression to me. Bipolar depression involves periods of mania, the opposite of depression. It is extremely rare (but not impossible) for someone with type 2 or "3" bipolar to experience both depression and mania at the same time, though.
Bipolar Depression I: Severe depression and severe mania
Bipolar Depression II: Severe depression and mild mania
Cyclothymic Bipolar Depression (the 3rd type): mild depression and mild mania

Most of the time, a person with bipolar depression is entering, in, or exiting one of the two stages, not experiencing both, and an episode at either end is usually stretched over the course of a couple of days to a couple of months. Rapid Cycling bipolar (more than 4 cycles of mania and depression in a year) is rare. Also rare is fast cycling, which means the transition from one to another, or from "neutral" to mania/depression, is extremely fast. The thought that someone with bipolar disorder who isn't on medication has a "neutral," though, is false. Really, it's just a transition period.

What you've described sounds like unipolar depression (just depression) of some level. It is possible to be angry while depressed, and not all types of depression mean that you're depressed absolutely all the time. My psychology professor used the example of taking a person and plopping them down in Disneyland with a fist full of spending money. The classic "major depression" and melancholic depression (which is chronic) are types where this lucky person would not feel happy. A person with "atypical" depression would be happy for a little while.

Anyway, enough psychology jargon from me. What you really should do is tell someone who can get help for you. You should be speaking to a counsellor, and possibly looking at medication. Be advised that medical doctors should not diagnose depression and bipolar without instruction from a counsellor/psychologist, as they are not trained in psychology.

The walls are high, the walls are strong
I've been trapped in this castle that I built for far too long
You have surrounded me, a sea on every side
The cracks are forming and I've got no where to hide
  Send a message via AIM to Jenna Peterson Send a message via MSN to Jenna Peterson Send a message via Yahoo to Jenna Peterson  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: Bipolar depression? - November 29th 2010, 04:20 PM

Iv been in a hospital with lots of people with Bipolar Disorder. I think that you should talk to a doctor about it. The earlier its spotted, the easier it is to control it. There is lots of medication out there as well.

Good luck

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

Closed Thread