TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
~Brooke~Fairy Dust Wishes~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brooke

Reactive Attatchment Disorder - November 29th 2010, 07:55 AM

i have been diagnosed with Reactive Attatchment Disorder i have tried researching it on the internet, and i havent found much information so im looking for support advice and information anything really its an rare and severe disorder well thats what the internet says so any help would be greatly appreaciated they have help sites for parents but not for people who have actually been diagnosed with it....
  Send a message via MSN to BrookeTHaddict  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Reactive Attatchment Disorder - November 29th 2010, 08:35 AM

Maybe the Wikipedia Article could help give a jist, as well as links relating to it?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Reactive Attatchment Disorder - November 29th 2010, 12:29 PM

It's a childhood disorder diagnosed regarding behaviour when under 5 years old. Some background psychological theory is attachment is the bond between a child and caregiver. It's tested by having child and caregiver go into a fixed environment for study and the child does whatever it wishes to do. A confederate (person working with researcher) enters and briefly chats with the caregiver and the two leave the child alone. The room has a one-way mirror, cameras, microphones, etc... .

When the caregiver enters, there are a few attachment styles. First, the child rushes over because it missed its caregiver so now is no longer anxious. Second, the child acts very confused at the caregiver's entrance and exit, not sure what to do and so it does a variety of behaviours that really make no sense. Third, the child doesn't care and ignores the caregiver's entrance. When it does go to the caregiver, it displays anger and aggression, then returns to whatever it was doing. Fourth, is a paranoid one where the child clings.

In reactive attachment disorder, either the child cannot start or respond in appropriate ways in social interactions, such as being the second option above (inhibited attachment). Or, the child makes diffuse attachments so it ignores caregivers but rushes to strangers (disinhibited attachment). Either of these cannot be due to mental retardation or a developmental disorder. The reasons for the child's behaviour are due to the caregiver as either neglecting the child's emotional needs, neglecting the child's physical needs (i.e. food), frequent change of caregivers to a point where stable attachments aren't formed, or a combination. It's thought that such caregiver behaviour can produce deviant behaviours in children, potentially causing CD, ODD, ASPD or psychopathy.

The significance of RAD is it writes the blueprint for social interactions down the road, unless there is early intervention, such as positive environments with positive caregivers.

So in a one-sentence summary, it's a childhood disorder due to abuse/neglect or constant changing of caregivers.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
~Brooke~Fairy Dust Wishes~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brooke

Re: Reactive Attatchment Disorder - November 30th 2010, 06:06 AM

thanks i understand what is i suppose i just have to wait untill its more researched to understand it completely
  Send a message via MSN to BrookeTHaddict  
Closed Thread