TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

INTENSE mood swings - November 30th 2010, 06:24 AM

Hey-

All evening and night I've had intense mood swings, sometimes a mood will last for five minutes, sometimes two hours. I'm going between suicidal/depressed and super motivated to do good in life and happy. I can tell when my mood is about to change because I start hearing a voice. I'm diagnosed bipolar and know when I take anti-depressants I have auditory hallucinations, but I haven't changed my meds in over a year I think?

I've a lot of shit going on with my boyfriend, soon to be ex I'm assuming (we've gone out for like a month, so it shouldn't be such a big deal) and feeling completely alone. And I've been severely depressed for the past couple of weeks, like suicidal, far enough to plan it and write notes, luckily my friend catches on quickly and can usually at least stop me from attempting to kill myself.

I'm going to start seeing a therapist again ASAP, but money is hard so my mom is trying to do what she can. What can I do for right now? I need something to happen to make this stop right now, because I can't handle it. But it's not drastic enough to call a hospital or anything xD

Help, please and thanks? =D

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: INTENSE mood swings - November 30th 2010, 06:50 AM

Go to your psychiatrist and tell them of the auditory hallucinations and worsening mood fluctuations. Do not stop taking the anti-depressants or start fiddling with the dosage yourself. It can also be possible the diagnosis may be changed to bipolar with psychotic features depending on whether the auditory hallucinations last after the doctor has switched your meds. If it's not due to the medications, it could be a prodromal phase of psychosis, which is the phase where the psychotic disorder can be treated or eliminated by medications or without medications. The prodromal phase often makes it confusing to formulate a diagnosis for this reason and it can occur around your age.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: INTENSE mood swings - November 30th 2010, 07:02 AM

Is there anything I can do to help like, right now? Probably not, but I figure it's worth asking. I am going to talk to people and all that, but I'm just trying to make it 'till then, you know?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: INTENSE mood swings - November 30th 2010, 11:08 AM

There are herbal remedies, such as St. John's Wort but it has a long list of drug-drug interactions, and your anti-depressant may interact with it. You'd have to look them up and see if they do, or ask a pharmacist. Alternatively, you can eat more fish as they can have high amounts of omega-3 fats or taking fish oil supplements with omega-3, which lower symptoms of depression mostly. They may be able to also lower mania symptoms but they're known very well for reducing depression in people with bipolar disorder. The rationale for this is it can produce more tryptophan (amino acid) which is the precursor to serotonin and can increase niacin/Vitamin B3. Unless you're allergic or don't like to eat fish, this is a really easy route.

There's also been numerous studies, particularly of Asian cultures that eat lots of fish and have the lowest rates by sex and age of depression. When you deplete someone of tryptophan, they experience bipolar symptoms (and some others).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread