TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: J.D.
Location: Hell and above, I'm everywhere, I'm the air you breathe and the shadow in the night

may be schizo - December 2nd 2010, 03:47 AM

ok this is my first time posting so bear with me. I was a major insomniac for many years due to past experiences with death and nightmares. I havent had my psyche "checked out" because I'm paranoid of getting locked up in a nut house because of the art I like and the things I believe. Anyways by about the 4th year of my struggle with insomnia I suffered from possible schizophrenia due to such a large lack of sleep, I saw things that weren't there, heard voices and had memories that weren't real. That hasnt happened for a while and I've fixed myself somewhat by taking sleep meds but sometimes the voices come back, and they tell me weird things like to run away somewhere far away, its almost as if some place out there is calling me. Its hard to explain but I get this feeling every day of just packing up some stuff and living out in nature or something. Im smart enough not to because of the brutal winters up here but the thought and the feeling that I have to get away somewhere wont go away....cant tell if Im losing my mind or starting to come to...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Need help? I'll be there! <3
Average Joe

Name: Jennifer

Re: may be schizo - December 2nd 2010, 03:54 AM

Mr. LoneWolfintheWind, you aren't alone here. I sometimes feel I should run away, but I'm sure it's because of my own problems. I also have Insomnia, and I do get urges, instead of voices in my head for some things. You may be paranoid, but I'm sure you will not be locked up in some place because of the way you are. There are many people like you, even if you think you are the only one. They'd have to get your parents permission anyway if you were to be put somewhere.

Not only that, since I know you, I wouldn't let you get locked up. You are a unique person, and you should be able to rant and rave about your problems and tell us about them. Sometimes it helps to tell others what you are thinking, so then it doesn't seem as bad and you can think through it more clearly.

I hope hearing these voices doesn't last much longer, I'm sure if you didn't ignore them, and just let them get over talking, they wouldn't be as bad. Like getting along with a person. I'm not saying to follow through with these voices, but just to acknowledge them if need be, and if it helps.

If you have any more issues, feel free to talk about them with me.

I'm here to help, and more.
If you need a hug, I got one.
If you need to rant, I listen.
If you need to cry, my shoulder is open.
If you just need a friend, I am there.
<3

If you can't reach me here, feel free to e-mail me or message me on yahoo. ^_^
  Send a message via AIM to CrimsonTippedPetals Send a message via Yahoo to CrimsonTippedPetals Send a message via Skype™ to CrimsonTippedPetals 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jenna Peterson Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jenna

Re: may be schizo - December 2nd 2010, 08:14 AM

DSM-IV-TR Diagnostic Criteria for Schizophrenia:
A. Characteristic Symptoms: Two or more of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a one-month period (or less, if successfull treated):
  1. Delusions
  2. Hallucinations
  3. Disorganized speech
  4. Grossly disorganized or catatonic behaviour
  5. Negative* symptoms, such as affective flattening, alogia, or avolition
*a "negative" symptom is something that is "taken away." For example, avolition is a lack of desire/drive/motivation. Your motivation has been "taken away."

B. Social/Occupational Dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relationships, or self-care is markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset.

C. Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least six months. This six month period must include at least one month of symptoms that meet the criteria of Section A, and may include periods of prodromal or residual symptoms. During these prodromal or residual periods, the signs of the disturbance may be manifested by only negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Section A present in an attenuated form (such as odd beliefs, unusual perceptual experiences).

The symptoms of section A cannot be due to substance use or to another medical or psychological condition (such as identified insomnia).

The walls are high, the walls are strong
I've been trapped in this castle that I built for far too long
You have surrounded me, a sea on every side
The cracks are forming and I've got no where to hide
  Send a message via AIM to Jenna Peterson Send a message via MSN to Jenna Peterson Send a message via Yahoo to Jenna Peterson  
Closed Thread