TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - December 23rd 2010, 08:37 AM

Okay let me just list some of the rituals I perform that have lead me to think I have OCD: I can't walk through a certain threshold in my house, If there are dishes in the sink I can't get on a certain website on the computer, I cant' touch the left corner of my bed. If I do I have to touch the right. Same thing for looking at the left corner. If I look at the left corner I have to look at the right corner, After I touch the remothe I wipe my hand off on something then wiggle my fingers until I count to 5 twice, If my top lip covers my bottom lip my bottom lip has to cover my top lip, I can't look at a certain objects when entering or leaving rooms in my house, and I'm constantly washing my hands. Now I think I have ADD because: Whenever I'm in class and the teacher is talking or the class is reading something out loud I tend to blank out or when I'm talking to someone I tend to blank out. Another thing I think is mentally wrong with me is that I have outbursts. I am person who has had a lot of embarrasing moments and have been bullied a lot in my life. I all those times are constantly being repeated in my head. I think about them so much that I end up screaming things like SHUT UP, F*** YOU, STFU, or LEAVE ME ALONE B**** just so I can stop thinking about them. I only have them when I'm at home, but recently it's getting harder to hold them in at school so I have come to find myself mumbling my outbursts instead. I can't get myself diagnosed for any of these mental problems because my mother just thinks I'm being an asshole and doesn't belive people can self-diagnose themselves with something so what do I do?

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - December 23rd 2010, 12:36 PM

As you probably know, nobody here can diagnose you. Everybody has one or more rituals of some kind, what separates "normal" from a disorder is when it regularly has a negative impact on your life. If it, for example, keeps you from doing something, makes you late regularly, or if you get so anxious that you can't function then I would talk to a professional. I've never had OCD but when I was in the hospital when I was 17 I shared a room with another 17 year old who did. If he was near a sick person he was convinced it was his fault and he had to help them. He did this by constantly, and I do mean constantly, washing his hands. He would miss meals to wash his hands, he'd be in there all day! He also couldn't touch things, he wore gloves or pulled his sleeves over his hands.
As for ADD, I don't know much of anything about it other than it makes it difficult to concentrate on anything.
And about going to the doctor, once you're 16 or older you can go without your parents and the doctor legally cannot even tell them you were there without your permission.
Good luck.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
radhika Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Your Friend

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - December 23rd 2010, 01:30 PM

Dear Noelle,
I would like to suggest that you should see a doctor first, he would be able to diagnose that whether your suspicions are true or not. I think maybe you are right, because my friend too had OCD, and really made his life pure hell, and he had to repeat his whole class once again. this could get worse Noelle, so i suggest that you go see your doctor as soon as possible, and he would be surely helping you out by subscribing you medication.
this disorder mainly has you repeating the basic functions of your daily routine and it takes more than the usual time to do even the most basic things and i would like to know that whether you have the habit of fidgeting...??
if so, then this is a symptom of OCD, and i would suggest that you see your doctor immediately without any delay and also talk this out with your parents, they would be providing you all the moral support you would be needing to cope up with OCD.
Wishing you luck, dear friend.

Radhika

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - December 23rd 2010, 01:47 PM

Yes, I fidget quite often, but the thing about seeing my doctor is I can't. I have no way to get there I can't drive or know anybody that does. No matter how much I try to explain these problems to my mother she doesn't care. Sometimes she'll even laugh in my face when I start to tell her these things. I can't explain anything to her. Another thing going to the doctor costs money something WE DO NOT have.

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - December 23rd 2010, 03:11 PM

I'll start with the one that takes a different route for diagnosis: ADD or ADHD. This disorder must be diagnosed before 7 or 8 years old. Also, it needs to be diagnosed using information from people in at least 2 settings, such as by parents and by teachers. It's something that you cant get diagnosed easily at your age as it has to consider how you behaved before 7 or 8 years old. When the child is under 7-8 years old, they are also given a neuropsychological test but obviously you cant be given that since you're not 7-8 years old. This isn't a disorder a psychiatrist can gather verbal information from you or your parents, more needs to be given.

OCD on the other hand can be diagnosed at your current age, although I'm not saying you do or don't have it. Almost all mental disorders have this as a criteria including OCD does it impair or cause distress in your life during social interactions, at school, work, etc...? A term that is used throughout medicine is co-morbidity, which means a patient with a certain disorder often has another certain disorder. ADHD and OCD are co-morbid but don't take this to mean that if you have OCD you will have ADHD.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - January 1st 2011, 01:46 PM

I had a friend diagnosed with ADD...in college. But she had to do a ton of testing at the school, and it might be different because everyone always thought she was..she just had not been officially diagnosed.

Can you just like, act really sick so she'll take you...?
Or if you go to school with your concerns they should be able to help.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - January 1st 2011, 05:45 PM

I'd like to reiterate what a few of the posters above me have said about your school counselor. Obviously, they aren't necessarily going to be able to diagnose you with these things, but they WILL be able to refer you to someone who can evaluate you in this way...and I think it would definitely be worth a try! Check and see what kind of guidance centers your school has and go for it - you don't have to deal with these issues alone.

As far as self diagnosis goes, I'm not going to lie, I agree with your mom in her disagreement with self diagnosis. The thing about it is that often, after people put a name to what they have, they research the symptoms. Even if they don't have whatever certain symptom, they'll start to imagine that they have it...and it becomes a downhill self-fulfilling prophecy from there. So just keep that in mind, and be very careful.

Take good care of yourself!

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Glee Offline
OCDcutter
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - January 4th 2011, 09:44 PM

I have OCD...what would happen if you didn't do those things? cause thats the main part of OCD people don't understand. The compulsion is the anxiety reliever so there has to be some weird thought causing the anxiety. Plus it should take up over an hour of your day. Mine takes up about 8.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
alex2010 Offline
Self Harm Awareness Advocate
Average Joe

Name: Alex Short

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - January 5th 2011, 12:34 AM

From what you've said, you prolly do have ADD and OCD.

~Alex

Last day I cut: 7-13-2010

I believe in everyone that I help that they will get over whatever they are struggling with.

I regret nothing in my past. My past made me who I am today.

There is freedom from self harm feel free to email me anytime if you wanna chat at:
alexshort154@yahoo.com

Send a message via MSN to alex2010 Send a message via Yahoo to alex2010 Send a message via Skype™ to alex2010 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Am I possibly OCD and ADD? - January 5th 2011, 05:37 AM

Just remember that we can't diagnose you. And you shouldn't diagnose yourself, as said above. Maybe explain your concerns more to your mom without self diagnosing?

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread