TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Cool Scared to see a shrink - December 31st 2010, 04:25 AM

My parents say I'm losing a lot of weight lately and not eating and whatever so they want me to see a counselor/therapist/psychiatrist whatever the right word is for that. I'm massively freaked out. Firstly because I'm not insane, I don't need my head examined. Secondly because the thought of some random adult sitting and staring at me trying to figure out what's wrong with me fir an hour makes me very uncomfortable. Thirdly, if in fact there is something terribly wrong with me, I should fix it myself instead of some stranger my parents hire.

Just Keep Breathing

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Scared to see a shrink - December 31st 2010, 03:26 PM

You have good reasons in why you shouldn't see a shrink. Just remember is you dont like that shrink at all or dont want anything to do with that shrink , change the shrink , i've done it before.
Shrinks help you find a way to get around whatever your going through and your parents just want to help you , they care about you . And if you really dont want to have a stranger looking into your mind , talk to your parents, a cousin , a close relative or maybe a really close friend that you have been friends with for a really long time. And if none of that works you can pm me.
You kinda sound like me in a way. You're independent and you can take care of yourself and your promblems. But I learned that its ok to get some help from other people if i can't handle it on my own and that's what your parents are offering . Someone to lend you a hand help you out.
You can PM me if you need anything .

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 3rd 2011, 02:23 AM

As good as your reasons for not seeing a psychiatrist are;
You do not have to be 'insane' to see one, they are unlikely to 'stare' at you because that makes anyone feel wierd and most people would feel uncomfortable with that.. Generally the reasons people see a psychiatrist is when they dont know what is wrong. Don't know what is causing the symptoms, They may know what is wrong but don't know how to 'fix' it. Plus, if symptoms are being noticed by other people the likelihood is that that the person doesn't have control of the problem and would then need some support with sorting things out.
You don't say much about why your parents are worried, so I don't know whether you know yourself what the problem is??
I understand your anxiety about going, but there really not that bad, in my experience they just want you to tell them in your words whats going on for you, maybe ask some questions. it's just like seeing any other Dr really.

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 3rd 2011, 03:27 AM

My parents think I have an ED. They're saying a therapist/pyschologist could help me. I don't quite think they'd be able to. If it's terribly weird or they treat me like a psych what am I supposed to do?

Just Keep Breathing

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 3rd 2011, 02:35 PM

Blair,

I think its a WONDERFUL idea for you to see a therapist. And let me tell you, I know that's about the cheesiest thing you've ever heard, but hear me out. The way I see it, therapists are in many ways just like podiatrists (foot doctors), oncologists (doctors who study cancer), or any other type of doctor. There's a pretty big negative stigma about "having to go see a therapist," but getting outside help is not a sign of weakness. I actually used to think to be strong meant to always take care of oneself and to be totally be independent, but I've recently come to a new realization that there is actually notable strength in knowing when to put up your red flag and in going ahead and getting help before the problem gets worse.

As far as the whole issue of fixing yourself goes, all I've got for ya on that one is that I don't think the therapist will fix you... I think they will just give you techniques, tips, help, support, and many other things...and show you that you are not too broken to fix yourself. So, I think in that sense, you'll get the best of both worlds. (:

I seriously encourage you to give this one a try, Blair. It certainly couldn't hurt. Hang in there.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 3rd 2011, 04:51 PM

Well, for a possible ED talking to a professional is definately a good idea. Your parents are right, they could/can help you manage this. Why don't you think it'd help?
I doubt it would ever be like that, but if it was, you could simply tell them it was making you feel uncomfortable..

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 4th 2011, 02:12 AM

Katrina,
Here's the thing of it, I'm in over my head. I know it. Still, as much as maybe this is what'd work, I couldn't do it. It's definately a strength/courage to be able to do that. I don't have that courage. The difference in the cancer dr and therapist is this: my cooperation. I wouldn't be too afraid to let a medical dr know about a medical problem. I couldn't for my life say to anyone what's wrong with me.

Just Keep Breathing

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 4th 2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
Katrina,
Here's the thing of it, I'm in over my head. I know it. Still, as much as maybe this is what'd work, I couldn't do it. It's definately a strength/courage to be able to do that. I don't have that courage. The difference in the cancer dr and therapist is this: my cooperation. I wouldn't be too afraid to let a medical dr know about a medical problem. I couldn't for my life say to anyone what's wrong with me.
I hear ya. It's terrifying. It's definitely a huge step in your recovery, but its going to take time and, I would imagine, encouragement from those around you. Take baby steps towards this, though - see if you can muster up any courage to even just write down what you're going through in a letter and eventually present that to your counselor - they get stuff like that (letters, that is) MUCH more than most of us think...some people are just less open about what's going on than others, and that's okay - that's partially what therapy is for! (:

Hang in there.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 4th 2011, 09:37 PM

Thankyou for the advice. I really do want things to get better. I'm worried I'll never be able to tell anyone what's really going on but I willl give it a chance.

Just Keep Breathing

(#10 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Scared to see a shrink - January 15th 2011, 12:31 AM

Yes you willl !!!!!!! Like me!!!!!! Ohhhhh remember that promise <3 u !!!

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

Closed Thread