TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MockTurtle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mal

Neurological or Stress based? - January 16th 2011, 04:23 AM

I've developed this strange tic in which I feel the need to squint/scrunch up my right eye quite frequenty, it is sometimes my left but primarily the right. It feels as though my face is tightening and I need to contort my face to stop it from doing so, sometimes I also need stretch open my mouth, snarl or move my jaw to the right while squinting.

I've developed this quite recently but I have had similar problems when I was younger, once going through a phase when I used to pout my lips and move them around (if you understand what I mean).

I've also always had whole body twitches and very unsteady hands- they constantly twitch or tremble.

Any ideas? Would it be a good idea to see a doctor or let things pass?

'When we were little,' the Mock Turtle went on at last, more calmly, though still sobbing a little now and then, 'we went to school in the sea. The master was an old Turtle we used to call him Tortoise '
'Why did you call him Tortoise, if he wasn't one?' asked Alice.
'We called him Tortoise because he taught us,' said the Mock Turtle angrily: 'really you are very dull!'

--

I still want to drown, whenever you leave
Please teach me gently, how to breathe.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jazzman Jeff Offline
The mind is a powerful tool
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeff

Re: Neurological or Stress based? - January 16th 2011, 05:10 AM

It never hurts to ask a Doctor (or other health care professional) about something like this. I think due to your previous history it's worth getting checked. Regardless of whether it's serious or not, ticks in general will occur more frequently when stressed. Obviously it's an issue that can bug you and it's easy to get worked up but it's best to try not to stress out about the actual tick(s) if at all possible. It's hard to say much more without more info, but either way a doctor would be much more helpful regarding this with more detailed information about your health on hand.

Jeff

a Student of Life and Mentor of Friends

"In the book of Life, the answers aren't in the back"

"Everything is Possible"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Neurological or Stress based? - January 17th 2011, 07:19 AM

Some of these may be side-effects of certain medications if you're taking any. I'd first turn to a neurological view because it can be tested for seizure disorders fairly easily: EEG (possibly sleep-deprived), CAT, MRI and put on phenytoin sodium or other anti-seizure medications to see before-and-after effects. You may also want to get your blood and urine tested to make sure there's no kidney dysfunction or molecular imbalances.

Simple answer, I'd turn to a medical examination first because the symptoms are sounding quite severe and getting worse.

In addition to what you experience, do you also feel very tired and sluggish?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Neurological or Stress based? - January 17th 2011, 09:00 AM

Well-it actually sounds like you need glasses! Your eyes are straining , hence the tightness, do you already have glasses? You could need a new prescription. But talk your GP , better to be safe than sorry

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Neurological or Stress based? - January 18th 2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready Salted View Post
Well-it actually sounds like you need glasses! Your eyes are straining , hence the tightness, do you already have glasses? You could need a new prescription. But talk your GP , better to be safe than sorry
Since when do glasses resolve full-body twitches?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread