TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Does anyone else get this? - January 29th 2011, 04:55 PM

I didn't know whether this should go here or in general health, so sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

Basically, over that last few months but particularly over the last couple of weeks, I've developed a twitch/jerk in my face. Like suddenly out of nowhere my face and hands get all numb and tingly and then it feels like I have electric shocks shooting through my head/arms. When this happens, it kind of makes me twitch my face and jolt my head to the side. I have also been particularly anxious and stressed over this time so I don't know if this could be a potential cause/trigger? Basically, it feels absolutely horrible and I've found myself slapping and hitting myself in the face (not hard enough to leave bruises or lasting marks) to try and get rid of the feeling because I cannot stand it.
I have an appointment with my doctor on monday so I'm going to ask about it when I go, but does anyone else get this? and if you do, how do you deal with it/stop yourself twitching like a madman?
I'm currently having it right now and I must look really wierd coz I'm twitching loads and moving my face weird to try and get rid of it (no luck so far).
Any help/suggestions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Does anyone else get this? - January 29th 2011, 04:59 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is to check or ask your doctor about the side effects of your medication. I don't know what you're taking, if anything, but some medications for mental illnesses have uncontrollable muscle movements of the face etc. as a side effect.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Does anyone else get this? - January 29th 2011, 05:04 PM

I thought it might have been that too, but I was only on a lowish dose of antidepressants, but I'm off them and have been for over a week now, so I presume any side-effects would have worn off by now. I was also on a slightly higher dose of the same meds about a year ago for a couple of months and I didn't have any side effects that time. I'll definately remember to bring that up with the doctor though. Thanks for the quick reply.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Does anyone else get this? - January 29th 2011, 10:42 PM

The effects of being off them could still last even past a week. First thing coming to mind is tardive dyskinesia and other tardive disorders, such as tardive Tourettism, tardive myoclonus, etc... . Usually it's brought on as a side-effect of anti-psychotic medications but it can be brought on by anti-depressants as well, usually the SSRIs and SSNRIs. Alternatively, it may be serotonin toxicity, in which case, you're approaching being badly fucked but I am fairly certain that occurs when you're on the medication, not when you're off of it. Then again, should it be serotonin toxicity, which is extremely doubtful, it's very rare.

You may be given anti-convulsant medications such as phenytoin or muscle relaxants, or be put back onto the anti-depressants to see if the symptoms go away. If they persist for over 2 to 2.5 weeks, then it probably isn't from the medications. You may be asked to go for a CAT scan, MRI, EEG, etc... as well as get your blood and urine tested.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
puala__koala Offline
Average Joe

Re: Does anyone else get this? - February 1st 2011, 04:32 AM

yeah that happens to me too. if it starts happening like more than once a minute, go to a doc

Closed Thread