TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Mood disorder or depression? - February 9th 2011, 03:08 AM

It's pretty much certain I have either a mood disorder, possibly bi-polar type 2.
I have done an assessment with my GP and she said pretty much definitely have either depression or a mood disorder, my results for the depression assessment came out as moderately-majorly depressed.
She referred me to some kind of mental health organisation, I received a letter from them asking me to call them to arrange to see a psychiatrist, so I called them and had a quick over the phone assessment and because I want to avoid meds for my moods if I can they have now referred me to someone else.
I feel like I'm just being passed around and I just want this to be sorted as soon as possible.
I'm scared I'm going to do something. When my mood changes now it's so much more extreme than I have ever felt it.
My concerntation is so poor right now, people at work have noticed it. I've had some pretty bad days at work, breaking down for no reason. I can't afford to have such bad mood swings and such poor concentration, I can't afford to make errors.
I just feel like I'm tettering on the edge of something bigger than anything I've endured before.

I need help and quickly.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Mood disorder or depression? - February 9th 2011, 03:39 AM

If you need urgent help you know you can always go to the emergency room at your local hospital. There are always staff trained in suicide prevention on hand and staff trained to deal with mental illnesses. Other than that it's important to breathe deeply when you notice things are closing in on you. Listen to music that calms you (nothing that hypes you up though, if it's bipolar I've noticed that that makes things worse for me).
Use your support network or make one if you don't have one. Do you have a friend who knows what's going on that you can call? Or a family member?

I know how it can feel having to wait for a long time and be passed around just to get help. It's like you went through all the hard work of trying to get help in the first place just to be shuffled around like a number through the system. It is a flawed system, but at the end it can work, if you let it. It's worth it to wait and see if there's help, because there's always help. I know it works because if it didn't I wouldn't be here today.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Mood disorder or depression? - February 9th 2011, 04:48 PM

I was diagnosed with mood disorder nos(not otherwise specified). I was thrown around just like you are. It really sucks, no doubt about it. My first doctor, no matter what he did, nothing changed and I started to get worse. I eventually had a three day evaluation at a hospital which SUCKED. And at the end of that... they still don't know what is wrong other than I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and that I have something going on with my moods. I don't know why they don't know by now. I've talked to countless people, and finally they stopped. I'm stuck with this diagnosis for now. Basically, they may not ever know. They might stick you with the same diagnosis as me. I am currently on both an anti-depressant and a mood stabilizor. Sometimes they can work together, and perhaps you should suggest something of the sort? Sometimes it can just be trial and error, but don't give up. This doesn't mean that they can't help you. It means that they are making sure they do it to the best of their ability. Otherwise, you wouldn't be going through all of this.

When you say your moods get extreame, what do you mean? Like high, as in hyper kind of sort? Or as in extreame anger? For me, I have maddening anger issues(as in gets very very violent and unruly) which is what made them double think me having depression to something more. Also, how often does it fluxuate? Hourly? Daily? Weekly? All important factors.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

Closed Thread