TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sharkface Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Self Consciousness - February 15th 2011, 04:07 AM

Hey guys, im pretty new to this site

To start things out, I would like to describe the background of my school

I live in a society l where i believe everyone and anyone cares about your physical appearance and clothing. Everywhere I go, I see people wearing branded clothes like: Hollister, American Eagle, and Forever 21. These clothes are very popular in San Francisco. I have never been bullied in this school before, and I know how to prepare myself from a bully if I ever encounter one. I also have lots of friends and I say hi to people around the school. But one thing really bothers me the most is my self consciousness.

This self consciousness is killing me, I have been living a life where I don't really know who I really am. At one point, I would act fake, but people tell me they don't care about my appearance and no one else does. But why do I feel like I should wear the same clothing and believe that I should lose a little bit more weight when clearly everyone in school say I look perfectly fine.

Furthermore, I soon figured out why I had this mentality. It turns out that in elementary school, I was bullied and had no friends at all. In middle school, I was nearly influenced by gang members, and was told that wearing Hip hop clothes were the best.

In conclusion, how do I stop being self conscious ?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Self Consciousness - February 15th 2011, 11:09 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that. I myself still battle with self conciousness. Its terrible. Its hard to hear things that you dont believe, about yourself.

Let me assure you, theres somthing great and amazing and beautiful in every single person. Look in a mirror. Tell yourself what you see.

What do you see? Be honest with yourself.

Is there a quality about yourself that you like? Inside, or out. Write them down. anything positive.

Now write down the negative things you see, or feel about yourself.

Make a list of things you can do to pamper yourself. Make yourself feel special. Because, you are! (:

Every day, make an effort to say one thing on your way out the door. look in a mirror and say 'im beautiful' or 'im a nice person.'

the more you say positive things about yourself, the more you start to believe it. (:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

Closed Thread