TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Unhappy At what point... - February 21st 2011, 01:42 PM

I think this goes here...

Right so I was wondering at what point could you define some ones eating habit a eating disorder? At what point to you define the excessive sadness as depression? At what point do you define not sleeping as insomnia?

I have been spiralling downward with these for close to two months now. I can't keep fighting the constant sadness, the fake smile is draining me.
I binge and purge, or I just dramatically limit my portions to about an apple or equivalent there of.
I have been getting on average 7 hours sleep per night for the last month and a half. I just can't sleep, I can't shut my body down so I can get a normal nights sleep.

I don't know, I'd really love some advice or answers

"Do not regret anything. Every choice, fuck up, spoken word, experience and emotion has brought you to this very moment. It has shaped exactly who you are. Do not regret who you are. You are unique. No one in the world is like you. In this sense, we are alone. Yet for this very reason, we all have one thing in common. Don't waste who you are, be everything you can be. You can achieve your dreams, you just have to genuinely try."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: At what point... - February 21st 2011, 05:27 PM

There are multiple types of eating disorders so to answer that question means defining the criteria of all them. This in part depends where you live (i.e. country and continent) because some areas will have certain disorders that other areas won't. Depression is a collection of symptoms and the diagnosis requires at least 5 of these specific symptoms to be met as part of the diagnostic criteria (there are other criteria also). Abnormal eating and sleep patterns are part of it as is sadness, however, if it's only 3 then it is not depression. However, to actually say any of those meet symptoms require in-depth analysis often accompanied by you filling out certain questionnaires. As with eating disorder, there are different types of depression and each type will have its own unique criteria.

As with eating disorders and depression, there are types of insomnia. However, insomnia often is mistaken for another disorder called delayed sleep phase syndrome, whereby you do sleep but you sleep very late and no matter how hard you try, you cannot sleep earlier. These are a few of the symptoms although the list is much longer. Because of this, it often is related to other disorders.

Moral of the story is to say you do or don't have a certain disorder requires more than saying you're tired, sad, etc... . There are scales to assess these behaviours, none of which are found in the DSM-IV-TR nor ICD-10. You can look in either of those for the criteria but it's not just going down a list of symptoms, checking the ones you have/don't have to conclude what disorder you may/may not have.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: At what point... - February 21st 2011, 07:16 PM

Hello Millar,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millarw12 View Post
Right so I was wondering at what point could you define some ones eating habit a eating disorder? At what point to you define the excessive sadness as depression? At what point do you define not sleeping as insomnia?
I suppose for me, an eating disorder would be when it was no longer just about putting nutrients inside my body, and when the pleasure of eating changed: either diminished or became very important to me. There is a pleasurable side to eating which I think changes when an eating disorder arises, but I'm not sure quite where to draw the mark on that one.

About depression? That's easier, I think, because there is a set of clinical signs that can define depression. For all the complexity of the causes, the diagnosis of depression is easy enough. The causes and the solution may be a different matter.

I'm not so well-read on insomnia though, I'm afraid.

Quote:
I have been spiralling downward with these for close to two months now. I can't keep fighting the constant sadness, the fake smile is draining me.
It comes across that a lot is currently quite difficult in your life, and perhaps some of the problems are their own vicious circle: the depression, the lack of sleep, the problems with eating healthily will all impact each other and make each other worse. You have been trying to put a brave fact on it, but that in itself is becoming a drain so you're keen to look for other ways to deal with the problems.

Quote:
I binge and purge, or I just dramatically limit my portions to about an apple or equivalent there of.
I have been getting on average 7 hours sleep per night for the last month and a half. I just can't sleep, I can't shut my body down so I can get a normal nights sleep.

I don't know, I'd really love some advice or answers
The impression I'm getting is that you understand that not eating a regular diet, not being able to sleep and dwelling on negatives are doing you harm. You know how badly these things are affecting you, but you also seem to feel quite trapped by them, and are wanting respite so that you can recover.

So: which of the three (depression, insomnia or eating disorder) started first? Can you trace any of them back to when they started?

Or do you think you'll need to talk it over more before we manage to unearth the root of the problem?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: At what point... - February 21st 2011, 10:34 PM

Thank you both for the very detailed and thought out replies!
I am considering trying to get my parents to take me to a gp to get clinically diagnosed soon.

And to answer @satine's question the depression feeling has been inane off for a couple of years now and was definitely the first, the eating habit next and sleeping last, but in very quick succession.

Again thank you for the very detailed responses, it has helped a lot <3

"Do not regret anything. Every choice, fuck up, spoken word, experience and emotion has brought you to this very moment. It has shaped exactly who you are. Do not regret who you are. You are unique. No one in the world is like you. In this sense, we are alone. Yet for this very reason, we all have one thing in common. Don't waste who you are, be everything you can be. You can achieve your dreams, you just have to genuinely try."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: At what point... - February 21st 2011, 11:11 PM

Inane was meant to be on and*

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: At what point... - February 22nd 2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millarw12 View Post
And to answer @satine's question the depression feeling has been on and off for a couple of years now and was definitely the first, the eating habit next and sleeping last, but in very quick succession.
You're welcome!

Are you happy with the clarity you've managed to get from here so far, or are you wanting to discuss it further on this forum?

Good luck with your plan to seek help.

Closed Thread