Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Love09 Offline
Not a n00b
Love09's Avatar
Gender: Female

Posts: 71
Join Date: February 24th 2010

Question Therapy? - April 4th 2011, 03:18 AM

I don't know if this should go here. But I feel like I need a therapist. Just to talk over things. I'm going through kind of a difficult time right now, and I want to talk to someone. Is there any kind of online therapy/therapist I could do? I want to deal with this on my own and to not tell my parents until I have better control of it. Any help/resources?

Love everyone
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while
Music's Avatar
Name: Richard
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 1,575
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Therapy? - April 4th 2011, 03:30 AM

First off, and yes this is relevant, how old are you? At and above the age of 16 in most places you can do anything medical without having to let your parents know.

I'm pretty sure online therapy doesn't really exist because part of the point is to form an emotional bond with your therapist, something that is much easier to do face to face. Good places to look for a therapist are your school, doctors office, see if you can find local ones in your phonebook or online, etc.. I'm sure when you really need to get something off your chest you could even phone a helpline, they aren't only for emergencies after all.money

If youre worried about money I know some areas have an office that offers free therapy, the only issue is you don't get the same person each time and its walk-in only so you have to wait.

I hope I was able to help, good luck!

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
01love Offline
Average Joe
01love's Avatar
Name: Lena
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 104
Join Date: March 20th 2011

Re: Therapy? - April 4th 2011, 04:05 AM

As stated above, ages 16+ can receive medical treatment without notifying parents, and at any age (in Canada at least), you have the right to doctor-patient confidentiality. You can ask your medical provider to withheld information from your parents, if you wish to, even when you're a minor.

You can try looking for a free clinic if money is the issue. Alternatively, if you're in school, you could also talk to a trusted teacher or school counselor. My high school counselor helped me a lot when I was troubled (: If you don't feel comfortable and wish to be anonymous, maybe you could try a free helpline? In Canada, there is a non-profit organization called Kids Help Phone (1-800-668-6868). It's completely free and anonymous. It won't be like a traditional therapy session, but you'll have someone to let everything off your chest. I think they offer online help too, if you're not in Canada. Best wishes to you. Hope your situations improve!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough
Batman.'s Avatar
Name: Julz
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,724
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: December 14th 2009

Re: Therapy? - April 4th 2011, 05:17 AM

Actually, guys, it's 18+ in the US, if I'm not mistaken.

Nonetheless, I agree with all of the points made above, but your area may not give you confidentiality until you're 18. You can always look up your state/country's confidentiality agreements online. Also, you COULD phone a local therapist and talk to them. Most therapists do NOT have e-mail addresses, from what I've seen.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.