TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

OCD genetic? - April 18th 2011, 10:45 AM

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you knew if OCD can be passed onto a child by a parent as my dad has OCD and I have also got it.
We have both had it since we were kids, always very neat and tidy and if something is out of place, we go mad.
Any ideas guys whether it is genetic?
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: OCD genetic? - April 18th 2011, 11:51 AM

Some say that OCD is hereditary, while others say it isn't. As humans, we all have symptoms that are similar to those of ocd, such as wanting everything clean, having to do things in a certain order, but it doesn't secondarily mean that we have it. I don't know as to whether or not your interactions with your father caused you to have similar behaviors. This link should help you more about this type of thing.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/specia...ary/index.aspx

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: OCD genetic? - April 18th 2011, 11:59 AM

Thank you Jesse =)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: OCD genetic? - April 18th 2011, 04:24 PM

No mental illness is completely hereditary. Having a parent(s) with a given illness does increase your chances of having that illness but there is a chance you won't contract it. Instead, you may learn from what he does, so your behaviour could resemble his. It can cause related physiological changes often seen in people with OCD but the anxiety nature may or may not be the same. That is, you both may go mad when something is out of order but the rationales and intensities may differ. For example, in OCD, the obsessions are typically viewed as intrusive anxiety-inducing beliefs the person recognizes as being ridiculous but cant help having them. The compulsions are physical manifestations done in a way to calm the obsessions. That is, you obsess over something being so messy and want it clean, so by cleaning it you stop worrying for a short amount of time. In OCD however, the obsessions are coupled by the thought that not doing the action causes unproportional ridiculous harm. That is, if you don't clean the mashed potatoes from the plates, the germs will build up and erode the skin off your hands.

Your father may have the completely irrational thoughts of consequences, obsessions and compulsions, however, you may not have those irrational thoughts of consequences. The reason why you would continue doing it then is being you learned it via observational learning, which is very powerful in children.

I'm not going to mention the physiological changes in the body as it fills books and does go quite advanced, so you can look it up if you want. If you know of the HPA axis, you can understand some of the neuroendocrinal dysfunction in OCD patients and how it contributes to the behaviour.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: OCD genetic? - April 18th 2011, 05:05 PM

Thank you very much for the information, its been really helpful
<3
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: OCD genetic? - April 18th 2011, 05:15 PM

My mum researched this because my dad has OCD really bad. The doctor told her it shouldn't be passed on. I have little OCD habits, but nowhere near the extent that my dad does. I don't think my sister has any habits at all.

Closed Thread