TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Counselor - April 30th 2011, 10:45 AM

I want to start seeing a counselor because I can't carry on like this on my own. I'm going to try and see the school counselor.

I'm not good at talking to new people, and I used to see the old school counselor but I was referred and they knew why I was there. There's a new one now and I have no idea how to start talking to him.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Counselor - April 30th 2011, 01:46 PM

Hey Hester,

I think you are really brave and strong to be admitting you have a problem and thinking about seeing the school counsellor. It can be really difficult talking to new people especially about personal things like your feelings. But at the end of the day the counsellor is there to help you and they should do whatever they can to make it easier for you to talk. They won't expect you to open up straight away and should respect that trust is earnt so it might take you time to talk about things. The counsellor is not there to judge you though only to help and the more you tell them then the more they can help.

During your first appointment the counsellor will probably want to just get to know you and find out a bit about what is happening. All you can do is be honest and tell the counsellor you find it hard to talk to new people and they should accept this.

I hope you do manage to see the school counsellor. Let us know how you get on

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: Counselor - April 30th 2011, 02:02 PM

Take deep breaths and take a bottle of water with you. You could tell them what happened with your last councelor and they should probably ask you questions untill you get to know them. The first session will always be the hardest but remember they want to help you and support you and will know how hard it is for you to talk to them. Good Luck! <3 Go in Peace!

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
kgo446 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Counselor - May 2nd 2011, 04:16 PM

Don't worry!
Just calm yourself and take some deep breaths.
Everything will be ok.
He will take the lead at the start probably and just let yourself become relaxed and comfortable, and remember the new counsellor is JUST THE SAME as the old one.
Best of luck

Closed Thread