TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
imissyou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

borderline personality disorder - May 16th 2011, 11:04 PM

hey,
has anyone else been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder or emotionally unstable personality disorder? i know its not usually diagnosed in adolescents, but thought i would ask on the off chance. there isnt many people i know who have this diagnosis, and the few i do are not my age, so dont have the same stresses etc in life as me. just want to chat to someone who understands
xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 16th 2011, 11:31 PM

Hey, I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder as well as Major Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I know what your going through and how horrible this disorder is. It sucks and I hate it with a passion. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to pm me anytime! I'm online a lot and I'll be glad to help you in any way I can.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 17th 2011, 04:22 AM

I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder myself.

You're right, it isn't diagnosed in adolescents. It's not usually diagnosed in anybody under 18 years old, due to the fact that a teenager's personality is still developing. They MAY make an exception, if there are extreme symptoms, but that's about it.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me. I know BPD is a struggle, but having people you can talk to about it helps.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 18th 2011, 01:06 AM

My psychiatrist thinks I have it, although they're still speculating with me only just being 18.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
imissyou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 18th 2011, 01:33 AM

i got diagnosed when i was 16, but when i was 15 and in an adolescent psychiatric ward, the consultant there told me she thought i had it. i dont think my symptoms are extremely severe, but i dont know... to be told at 15 that ive probably got it, just over 12 months later to be diagnosed...
ah well!
xx

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 19th 2011, 06:13 AM

If you were diagnosed at 16, your symptoms would have been quite severe, otherwise the diagnosis is quite odd. The thing with borderline personality disorder is there are a bunch of symptoms in the diagnostic criteria and you only need to have some of them, not all. As a result, there can be around 150 people with different symptoms yet all with the same diagnosis. It's possible the diagnosing doctor thought you had the minimum amount or perhaps even more. What brought you to the adolescent psychiatric ward at 15 years old?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
imissyou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 19th 2011, 06:25 AM

its quite a long story, but ill try and keep it short. at 10 i moved house and the primary school wouldnt accept me cos i had diabetes. we lived in the middle of nowhere, and i barely saw anyone except my own family. it took 8 months for me to get into school, and i just didnt cope. i started not doing my medication right, as it felt like the only thing i could control. this later turned into other ways of taking control of myself. i was constantly in and out of hospital, and was put in care just after my 15th birthday. i still had these problems in care, so was admitted into the psychiatric ward for 9 months. i cant really go into detail, as there is no trigger on this thread...
xx

(#8 (permalink)) Old
CrimeStopper Offline
Emily
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Be content within

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 19th 2011, 03:15 PM

Hi there imissyou! I was diagnosed at the age of 22 with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder.) I think if I would had been going to a counselor sooner it would had been diagnosed a lot faster. I about hit the ceiling when she told me for the first time. I originally thought it was something really bad when I heard it. But then I came to realize that it's not as bad as it sounds. I think if this is what I'm handed it's better then most things. I have been diagnosed with a lot of different mental illness and this one just seemed to fit me and what was going on the best.

As we all know BPD does stem from depression, which the two usually go hand in hand. The worry about being abandoned, emptiness, boredom, anger, and not like being alone. These all said who I was. I'm glad that I was finally diagnosed with it. Now I'm able to recognize what is going on. Yet I guess it depends on to what level you may experience it, but I don't feel as if mine is that bad. I'm able to cope (now) in a healthy way.

I did try and go to DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) but I just wasn't in the right time or place to be going. But from the few times I did attend it felt very helpful. Also all the information I received is very helpful in working through those emotions. DBT is suppose to be very effective if you finish the program. But it is a long journey.

Guess I don't really know what to say. Just wanted to reply saying that I do have it and that it is very treatable! If you ever want to chat feel free to get a hold of me. Hope your well!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001931/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
imissyou Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 19th 2011, 11:52 PM

hey
yeah, i really didn't agree with my diagnosis at first. well for a long time actually! took me about 18 months to accept it! but i think it does explain a lot of my symptoms. i want to go to dbt, but apparently i'm not stable enough yet. but im going to be moving soon i think, to a different area, so it would only unsettle me if i had to start with a new therapist part way through the course. its good to know that people understand and im also here if anyone else wants to talk to anyone hope everyone is ok
xx

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: borderline personality disorder - May 21st 2011, 11:10 PM

I was diagnosed with BPD last year. I didn't agree with it at first as I'd been diagnosed with severe depression through my teens and the new diagnosis was scary and unfamilar. But reading through the symptoms and having my consultant explain it more, I can now understand why. And it does fit better than just depression, but obviously due to age it wasn't diagnosed before.
xx

Closed Thread