TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Emy Bug Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 12:52 PM

Ok, so like, I want to go away and I'm in misson "Plan to Get Away from God". My mom SAYS that he DOES help me, but I don't really think so. I've been waiting for him to answer one on my questions for 4 years. Is he EVER going to answer?? And whenever I talk to my mom about something, all she says is "Talk to God about it". He NEVER answers me!!! I mean, if it's like, puberty problems she will, but if it's mentel she just says talk to God. That's it!! Nothing else!!
But the worst thing with my PGAG (Plan to Get Away from God) is that she got me a Bible devotional. This is TOTALY NOT going to work!!
The other problem with PGAG is that the rest of my (close) family are christians. (or muslums.) If they find out, well, my brother won't tell, my dad, why on EARTH would I want to talk about ANYTHING with him?? And my mom? Well..... I don't know what she'd do, but I think she'd yell at me. And now, I couldn't even TELL you how many times I cussed in my head. I come soooo close to saying them outloud but I stop just in time. I'm like, almost completly anti-God now. He's keeping me form doing things that I want to do and wear. I'm alot happier now. And I'm not going back!!
(sorry if you thought with the title that it was something differant)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 02:56 PM

There is a God and he does hear you. I know you don't feel that way. I've felt that way for the longest time, but God does exist. He always answers prayers. Sometimes it's a very subtle answer though, but he hears you and he is there for you. You just got to open up your heart to him. Pray. Ask him to show you that he does exist in a sign you will notice. Sometimes, you'll see when the time comes.

I didn't find God again until just recently. I was in college, it was last January to be exact. I, out of the goodness of my heart, took the very little extra time I had to help a fellow classmate who had trouble getting around. The people who were supposed to help would not because they felt he was a burden, but I didn't. I wasn't even asked to help him. It took a few weeks and one day, he had said that he wished he did not have his disability. I told him about how God is always there to help and he only gives someone what they can handle. He thanked me. The next morning, I went to check on him and he showed me a poem he had written. Bear in mind that the night before, he was really depressed about his disability. His poem was a witty, cheerful poem about his life dealing with his disability.

It was then that I knew God existed. God had shown me he is here by that experience. He showed me by giving me the opportunity of doing exactly what I wanted to do in the future.

He is always here, next to you, next to me. He knows everything and loves everyone.

I hope this has inspired you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 03:10 PM

I don't know what this has to do with mental health but whateves I'll answer anyways.

I'm not really christian (was raised catholic but the clossest thing I can identify with now is buddhism). The point of praying isn't to have God verbally answer you, that doesn't happen. To me when I see people praying its like a type of meditation where you can reflect internally about yourself. If God answered you in an obvious way what would be the point in faith?

Also, I don't know how God can keep you from doing what you want and wearing what you want. You've always had free will.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 05:22 PM

As I've always understood it, God's answers come in more subtle forms. Sometimes those signs are internal, as in you'll feel an awakening within you, and sometimes they're external, as in you'll see something and it will all click, but they are not supposed to be literal answers as you'd receive from Chloe, Rick, me, your mother, your friends, or anybody else. Originally, when I still practiced Christianity, as a child, I replicated so many Bible stories wondering why God didn't give me signs as obvious as the ones in the Bible stories. It took me some time to learn that signs were oftentimes more subtle and open to my interpretation. It wasn't until later that I learned God wasn't likely to strike me with some lightning bolt.

I don't practice Christianity any longer. I am still a spiritual person - Pagan - but I am no longer a Christian. I had to find my own walk in life, and I honestly think that everyone does. You're young. You have plenty of time to figure out your religious affiliation. You should have the freedom to explore other outlets, even ones that may not involve the Christian God. But I don't think you should make a plan of it if you're only doing it because "God doesn't answer." Because God's not, and never going to, answer verbally. But that doesn't mean that God is the answer for everyone. Some people find themselves as being more spiritual than religious and some people find the opposite. I really think it is such a personal experience/journey and only one that you can take.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xJox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jen Jen

Re: God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 05:52 PM

God does exsist and you need to have faith in him. instead of looking at all the stuff he isnt doing, look at the stuff he is doing he does listen to you
This time last year I didnt know wot was going to happen to me, i remember writing on Th asking for advice on alsorts of things. I was a real mess n i felt everything was against me. then just a little under 6months ago I became a christian n im not saying that its all easy peasy when you become a christian because its not life is just the same, but I now have that sense of stability that I have God with me through everything and I no that he will help me and he's always there. Now Im a totally different person to what I was, I have so much more confidence and I've never felt so alive. I've seen some real miracles over the past 6months. He is with you every step of the way, have faith and he heres your prayers.
Ive seen my family and my other half and a friend of the family come to christ in the past 6months and we have all been baptised and are giving it up for God
Fix your eyes on him, dnt think negative because thats what the devil wants you to do, just stay fixed on God, He is the way!!!!
If you wanna talk just pm me
xxxx
  Send a message via MSN to xJox  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

Re: God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 06:36 PM

ur gonna get so many different responses to this lol. ok well ill throw my two cents in. im in a very similar situation as you. My whole family is christian. my grandparents are pastors and all they ever talk about is jesus and stuff at about ur age i started questioning it. Now im older and i realized thats their religion. Nobody can force you to accept their religion. even if they put a gun to ur head, they cant. sure you may lie and say u accept it, but if u dont truely want to in your heart, then you arent going to. So now im agnostic and my family dosent know... i listen to the speeches about jesus and they dont suspect a thing. so in the end, its whatever makes you happy. if christianity dosent cut it for you, then dont bother with it. Im here if u ever wanna talk about this more in depth

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 07:12 PM

I'm not a Christian, I'm an atheist and anti-theist. Everyone has their own views on which god(s) is right, which does what, how to get to it and so forth. Your mother has her views but it doesn't matter what she says, you have your own. If the god isn't answering you, then perhaps it's time to re-think your belief. You're not "anti-god" because if you were, then you would do whatever you like without thinking twice of him. You wouldn't be constrained by him, you'd be free and each time you reflect on him, your willingness and strength of freedom increases. You seem to be the opposite, each time you think of god, your freedom diminishes as you see it.

For those who say to pray, I think praying is a useless endevour and a waste of time and energy. This reasoning gets more philosophical so it's better suited for the religious sub-forum but the extremely short version is if you want something, instead of sitting around moping on your knees begging "please god, help me with ____", get off your knees, stand on your own two feet and do something. Praying is only good for motivating oneself but the reason I dislike it is whenever the goal occurs, the typical Christian beats themselves down to a pulp and accredit god with all the work.

If there's something "mental", forget about babbling to god. If it's serious, go get suitable treatment from humans who can help, not sitting on your knees begging to the ceiling for a fairy-tale to come true.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: God, or no God? - May 30th 2011, 07:55 PM

I don't believe in God at all.
I think it's up to you to follow what you believe in. If you believe in God and that helps you then good for you. I think you should make things happen for YOURSELF rather than rely on someone who may or may not exist.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: God, or no God? - May 31st 2011, 08:58 PM

Let's not hate on God... he might just turn out to be real and then what??? Exactly.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: God, or no God? - May 31st 2011, 09:08 PM

Okay guys, calm down. Whether there is a god or God or any other deity is specific to your own beliefs and you're entitled to put them here, but let's not forget to be respectful about it.

As to what you're saying, I totally understand your wanting to get away from god, I've gone through that too. Do what you feel you need to, your religion and beliefs are yours, and if you choose not to believe, nobody can change that.

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Symmy Offline
Symmy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Symantha

Re: God, or no God? - June 4th 2011, 11:47 PM

I'm an atheist, and don't believe in God. I think it is wrong that your mother is ignoring you in this way. I praying doesn't seem to be helping, you should, instead of waiting for answers, go out and find them. You can always talk friends, or counselors, ect. This type of behavior turned me away from Christianity, because it is wrong that your mother uses your religion as an excuse not to talk to you. Maybe you could talk to her about your feelings?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Name: Annabelle

Re: God, or no God? - June 5th 2011, 01:10 AM

If you are doubting your faith, I'm a Christian and I actually support you in it. Doubt works. If you reach the conclusion that there is a God, your faith will be stronger. If not, well then that's a philosophy that works for you.
As other people have said, God doesn't talk to most people directly.
I think you should read about some philosophy, from both perspectives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheist%27s_Wager
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_free_will
those were arguments against god ^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of...ossible_worlds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager
Things that are sorta for God^
Philosophy makes you think in a different way, so I think it helps...
Good luck, and I hope whatever conclusion you reach will make you happy.

"Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining"- Owl City

(#13 (permalink)) Old
ReverseNegative Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Unknown

Re: God, or no God? - June 7th 2011, 05:36 AM

It all depends on your personal beliefs. I try not to believe that there is a God.

Closed Thread