TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lupr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

OCD ruining my life - June 4th 2011, 11:14 AM

I've had OCD for as long as I can remember. I know that somepeople just think that means I always wash my hands, or everything in my room is perfectly aligned, but I only wash my hands before eating and after going to the toilet, and my room is, well, it's a teenager's bedroom...

No, my OCD is more physical, specifically touch. It's all about symmetry.
If somebody pokes my left shoulder, I have to touch my...
Left shoulder
Right shoulder
Right shoulder
Left shoulder
Right shoulder
Left shoulder
Left shoulder
Right shoulder
Then both shoulders at the same time.

This applies to every part of my body in every sense. If I look to my right, I'll have to look to my right, my left, my left again, my ri....
If the wind blows on my right arm, I have to align myself so it hits my right arm in the exact same way, then my left, so on and so forth.

As you can imagine, THIS IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING. It's dominant in my life. I've tried just holding out, and ignoring the urge, but it's like an itch that gets worse and worse, never depleting.
To make matters worse, if I cut myself, say my pen slips when I'm writing, I will have to get that pen and cut myself in the same sequence. I have never had issues with self harm, I'm okay in that respect, but this is different.

It's embarrassing to tell people, as it's a bit weird. Not even all of my family know, only my close friends and people who have asked me why I'm poking myself like a weirdo and I've had to explain to.

Even typing, I have to press certain keys because I feel like I've 'upset the symmetry'. Does anyone else have a problem even remotely similar to this? How do you deal with it? I was hoping it would fade away as I got older, but quite the opposite has happened.

Please help!

(PS. Sorry for the massive post, I just tried to get as much information in as possible.)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 4th 2011, 07:57 PM

What happens if you don't do it? Right now it reminds me more of tics than ocd.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lupr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 4th 2011, 09:42 PM

If I don't carry out my little pattern, I just get very distressed. It's similar to having an itch, you need to scratch it. It's not tics, as i do it voluntarily, I just don't want to.
Thank you for the reply though!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 5th 2011, 12:31 AM

Tics can have a voluntary feel to it, but it feels like you HAVE to carry out your action. Not carrying out a tic can cause you to feel distressed or like its building up inside. Some people can suppress their tics to an extent.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lupr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 5th 2011, 01:56 AM

Huh, I guess I don't know about tics, I'll be sure to do a bit of research about them. I'm pretty convinced it's OCD, but the only certainty is that it is damn annoying!
The actual act of carrying out the pattern is not the urge itself, that's just my way of 'scratching'. That sequence just seems to work.
The actual 'itch' is the feeling of unsymmetry caused by being poked, or whatever.
It's like a nagging in the back of my head that gets louder the longer it's ignored.
I'm sorry if this all sounds a bit dumb, I'm not the best at explaining things.
Do you know a fair bit about things like this?
Thanks for the help again!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lupr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 5th 2011, 01:59 AM

Huh, I guess I don't know about tics, I'll be sure to do a bit of research about them. I'm pretty convinced it's OCD, but the only certainty is that it is damn annoying!
The actual act of carrying out the pattern is not the urge itself, that's just my way of 'scratching'. That sequence just seems to work.
The actual 'itch' is the feeling of unsymmetry caused by being poked, or whatever.
It's like a nagging in the back of my head that gets louder the longer it's ignored.
I'm sorry if this all sounds a bit dumb, I'm not the best at explaining things.
Do you know a fair bit about things like this?
Thanks for the help again!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pinkgube Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 5th 2011, 04:43 AM

I have something very similiar to that! If I touch my right arm, I have to touch my left, and so on with things like you described. I only do once though. I get distressed to, but mine only acts up when i'm going through stressful times. I know I'm not helpful, but to those of you posting, you can't reason with OCD, so don't try.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alisha

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 5th 2011, 07:28 AM

For me, I HAVE to eat my food with an even amount of bites or I can't finish the food that I have. I have to throw it out because I just can't bring myself to eat if I know that one side my mouth/teeth haven't been eating the same amount of food as the other side.

Everthing I see seems to be a lie. And everything you see in me you think is the truth. But, really all you see is what I'm masking the real me with. You never see me cry. Because I'll never let you. And you'll never see me die because I feel like I already have in a way.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 6th 2011, 04:42 AM

To the OP, it doesn't seem like OCD because from what you've said, there is no active knowledge that the worrying is ridiculous and not doing something is thought to result in something not entirely related and of no sense. Doing the actions may not be related but again, they are done for the reason that not doing them creates immense anxiety, the delusions come stronger. As Rick said, it seems more like tics than OCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBrunetteCutie4Ever
For me, I HAVE to eat my food with an even amount of bites or I can't finish the food that I have. I have to throw it out because I just can't bring myself to eat if I know that one side my mouth/teeth haven't been eating the same amount of food as the other side.
If you don't chew with an even amount of bites, do you think anything will happen?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lupr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 6th 2011, 10:38 PM

Anybody have any ideas on how to deal with whatever it is?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Radzie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Radzie

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 8th 2011, 05:12 PM

Dear Lupr,

don't get depressed. i know that it sounds really irritating and it's really hard to cope up with, but you'll have to work this out. firstly i suggest that you should be frank with your family and tell them all the details, what exactly do you feel and how many times does it occur, and all the symmetrical patters you experience, after that i would like to know that do you take any medications for it...??
i had a dear friend of mine who suffered from OCD, and maybe you should tell a friend of yours, who is really very supportive who can let you control yourself when you have that urge to straighten out things all the time, and that could lead to the lesser frequency of twitching. i hope this helps you
take care and good luck

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lupr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 9th 2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radzie View Post
Dear Lupr,

Hey, thank you for the reply.
I don't take any form of medication, it's basically a problem I've just dealt with for practically all my life (I remember when I was really small, and I hadn't come up with the pattern, when something brushed my face, I'd try and literally scratch the feeling off, until my skin was coming off).
However, I will start talking to my family and friends, see if they can do something. I'm not holding my breath, but it's worth a shot.

Thank you very much for the advice, have a nice day!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 10th 2011, 04:34 PM

It probably is OCD.
I have similair issues, with symetry (If I hit one arm I hit the other so they hurt the same. I don't do it as religiously as you do by doing it several times however. This makes me "neurotic" rather than an obsessive compulsive person.)
However I only like my body to be symetrical. Everything else in my room is angled. Posters, TV, computer screen, a hair comb, my wallet, my iPod, it's all angled in the same way. I subconsiously do this. I don't consiously think "Let's angle this it annoys me." I think "This annoys me, I wonder why..." I go to "Fix" it and then it's angled like everything else. On the bright side I don't need a protractor in school very often. Again though it wasn't really interfereing with my life so they could't do anthing. However in your case based on what my doctor told me classifies, yes you do have OCD and I would see a doctor for it.

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Lupr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 10th 2011, 08:07 PM

I'll be sure to do that, any idea what a doctor would do though? Obviously I'm not expecting brain surgery that will get rid of it forever, but I don't really want to go there only to be told the nice version of 'oh well'.

I will visit one regardless, thank you very much!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
futurehistory Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 10th 2011, 09:06 PM

Hey, I think I have OCD too with the more physical side.
(I say I think because I've never had it officially confirmed)
Mine is also to do with touching, however a little different to yours. I have to do mine in sets of a certain number, and that mainly involves any objects, such as light switches, door frames, and even my phone. I also use this set of numbers I have for typing too. And there's various other things, but I wont write too much.

If you wanted to talk feel free to PM me, as I find it quite interesting and I've never really spoke to anybody about it who has OCD the more physical side. Also I recently went to the Doctors, and it was basically a 'If it gets worse come back, and go and see your school nurse'. Kinda annoying, but oh well.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: OCD ruining my life - June 11th 2011, 12:26 AM

Doctors may perscribe meds or therapy if needed. As I said in my case it was simple questions until they deemed I didn't need further help.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Closed Thread