TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Options? - June 18th 2011, 11:52 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've talked to my keyworker about pretty much everything and I'm under the impression that she really doesn't care. Being admitted to hospital has popped up a few times but she keeps changing her mind and telling me that she doesn't think I'm really suicidal [Yep, that made me feel SO good about everything] and her way of dealing with things is to "Just smile and force yourself to be happy, and eventually you'll convince yourself you are!"

Anyway, I'm confused. I keep planning, I dont sleep, I dont eat, my self harm requires hospital treatment every single freaking time, and I honest to god just don't know what the NHS is doing with me.

A seperate mental health worker told me I was probably going to have to spend some time as an inpatient - whether voluntarily or not. I'm just getting scared now, my thoughts have been WAY out of control and I've started hallucinating, getting jittery and I genuinely thought I was going insane.
I considered admitting myself, but the mental health ward here is literally for people with severe mental disabilities, and my keyworker told me there was no where else to go.

What are my options?
Maybe I'm just mad.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Options? - June 19th 2011, 02:15 AM

Well, when you see the ward there where are you talking about in relation to you? You may consider just going to another area/place even if it is quite a few KM away. If you need help you need help and there is ZERO shame in that.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PM me
All or nothing for Christ Was I love dogs

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life John 3:16 ( 21st century King James Viersion)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Options? - June 19th 2011, 03:06 AM

If I were a professional mental health worker (i.e. doctor) treating you, which I'm not, I would first say to ditch this keyworker. Saying to smile and you'll be happy has some scientific merit, however, saying to force and convince yourself makes me think the person is telling you to do their job for them.

As much as you may not like to hear it, I would also suggest being admitted, voluntarily or involuntarily. The fact you're not eating, continue to self-harm, psychosis and alleged suicidal tendencies are all red-flags, especially the suicidal thoughts and psychosis. I don't know the severity of your self-harm actions but unless it's very severe, admitting you each time is a bad idea in my view. Reason being, your medical record will show these numerous visits for such reasons and the next time you go, the assumption just from your medical record will be you're not receiving proper treatment and not of proper mental state. In other words, a revolving door action.

I'm having some trouble understanding your situation because you have not mentioned any pharmacological treatment. I'm assuming for your sake you are on medications but if you're not, then either you're leaving out a huge piece, cannot afford them or the health system is putting you on a unwanted roller-coaster ride of likely improper treatment.

This sometimes works, so give these ideas a shot for getting to sleep. First, dim the lights and have a candle lit in a safe area. Just stay in there, have it quiet, and think there is nothing else there, everything is fine, you're in a nice blissful place. Say these statements and similar ones in your head or out loud in a slow quiet voice over and over. The goal is self-hypnosis. Second, once you feel tired, either from the self-hypnosis or in general, go to some other room and lie down. Relax and imagine there's a heavy weight on your feet so you cant really move them. That's alright, it's fine, everything is fine, you're in a wonderful place. Imagine another weight is on your legs and so forth.

You don't need to think hard of an actual place, if you're having trouble imagining one, it's fine just the concept is needed. It works very nicely. If you don't mind clicking sounds or dull hums, get a plug-in fan in your room or some other item that gives a constant dull hum. Focus on that hum.

Alternatively, some music may help, nothing loud, only soothing, such as some Steve Vai songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CfEaSmdtGU (Lotus Feet) I often use this when I want to relax or have trouble getting to sleep, I just listen to it and I'm calm. Helps clear my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBQbK...feature=relmfu (Salamanders In the Sun) It has a faster beat than the Lotus Feet

Alternatively, something such as Wadaiko Yamato drummers. It can be very entertaining if you have a sub-woofer but also relaxing if you like louder stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZO47QxV-iY

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Options? - June 19th 2011, 09:28 AM

Sorry, yeah, I'm taking Duloxetine/Cymbalta and have been for about 2 weeks. Prior to that I was on Prozac but it did naff all.

My main problem is that I can see why inpatient care is a good idea, there's nowhere nearby that I'm aware of, and my keyworker is useless, like I said. I have talked to the mental health team about my keyworker and they're sorting it out for me, but at the moment I'm stuck in a ditch.
The Psychotherapy team wont see me while I'm a high risk patient, and the team I'm with now just seem to be making sure I'm taking my pills like a good girl.

It's frustrating. I can admit myself to a psych ward for mentally disabled people, or I can stay at home and get worse. There don't seem to be any other choices :/ It's probably cause I'm meant to be old enough to cope.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Options? - June 19th 2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremophobia View Post
Sorry, yeah, I'm taking Duloxetine/Cymbalta and have been for about 2 weeks. Prior to that I was on Prozac but it did naff all.

My main problem is that I can see why inpatient care is a good idea, there's nowhere nearby that I'm aware of, and my keyworker is useless, like I said. I have talked to the mental health team about my keyworker and they're sorting it out for me, but at the moment I'm stuck in a ditch.
The Psychotherapy team wont see me while I'm a high risk patient, and the team I'm with now just seem to be making sure I'm taking my pills like a good girl.

It's frustrating. I can admit myself to a psych ward for mentally disabled people, or I can stay at home and get worse. There don't seem to be any other choices :/ It's probably cause I'm meant to be old enough to cope.
Unfortunately, the psychotherapy team probably won't see you right now because they cannot provide the immediate care you need.

There's a rule-of-thumb that anti-depressants and mood-stabilizers take 2-3 weeks to work. Although you may not like the idea, wait a little bit to see if there is any improvement as it takes about this long for the effects to be felt. As you know, it's a newer kind of medication, not a SSRI but SSNRI, so unfortunately there can be more diverse side-effects, however, hopefully they're less intense. It's also effective for some anxiety disorders but you are pumping yourself up as well.

If after a few days there is no improvement or you feel you're getting worse, admit yourself. It looks much better on paper than involuntary admission because that comes with involuntary treatment and probably stronger medications at a higher dose to sedate you.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread