TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Question Could I have a bipolar disorder? - June 22nd 2011, 06:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

First of all, nobody has any kind of mental illness in my family which I'm aware of - the only other person in my family that is even slightly unstable is my younger brother, but both my parents are doctors and haven't picked up on anything so..?

I've taken a few tests online and looked up the symptoms etc, so here are the ones I can remember which apply to me:

o I often have trouble getting to sleep, and I always struggle getting up in the mornings.

o I have hyper days and low days (on the low days, I often self-harm, and on the hyper days I am really optimistic and people actually comment on how bubbly I am. I'm usually on a low, with the occasional high.) However, these mood swings only last a day or two at a time. For example, the last week or so was: Low, low, low, high, very low, low, low (each one is a day.)

o I often crave alcohol.

o I have days where I love being around people, but most days I prefer to be on my own.

o My self esteem is usually rather low, but on my good days I feel confident enough to go out in short shorts and vest tops and stuff.

o I always struggle to concentrate.

o I talk very fast some days.

o I get angry very easily, especially in the mornings. If someone says the wrong thing to me shortly after I wake up, I'm in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

o Sometimes I feel really hungry or overeat, other days I really don't feel like eating at all.

HOWEVER:

o I don't think either of my parents have bipolar or any other mental disorder.

o I get consistently good grades, and I know people with bipolar often struggle to keep up with schoolwork.

o I don't have an anxiety disorder.

o I don't abuse drugs ever, or alcohol extensively.

o Though I self-harm on bad days, I never seriously consider suicide.

So what do you think? I know you aren't professionals and can't diagnose me etc etc. Also, looking at what I've written, I could just be a normal teenager with hormones and stuff.

But any advice you have would be useful. I've also considered the fact I may just have depression.

Any thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Could I have a bipolar disorder? - June 22nd 2011, 07:24 PM

Don't really trust anything you see online even if it seems legit. Taking test online and looking at symptoms is never a good idea. It takes a serious amount of time to diagnose bi polar disorder most of the time. Symptoms are more in depth as well. You said your parents are doctors and trust me they would have notice something long ago if anything was to be worried about. Bi polar also doesn't work like that really in the sense of you have days here and there. Its usually longer period of manic states and so on.
Half of the things you mentioned I have as well. It always takes me forever to fall asleep. I have days where I am over the moon crazy excited and then somedays where nothing really excites me at all and I get pissed off easily. And everyone has good and bad days with their self esteem. Having bi polar is alot more extreme then this. I say its a lot more extreme because my sister in law actually has this disorder and I have been around her for six years.
I highly doubt you have bi polar disorder and its probably normal teenage life, hell even life in general for anyone. But if you feel you just need to see whats going on do talk to your parents and tell them your concerns.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Could I have a bipolar disorder? - June 22nd 2011, 07:34 PM

I'd get to a therapist, psychologist, etc. to diagnose you. And not all bipolar people struggle to keep up with schoolwork. I'm bipolar and I graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA and I'm going to college for engineering. I'll be honest, you have more of the symptoms than some of the other posters I've seen here -- the sleeping factor is huge. But it also depends how extreme your symptoms are as well.

And @wonderbread - parents and doctors don't always notice these things. I was diagnosed four and a half years ago and have been displaying symptoms since I was twelve. My parents still haven't made the connection between my behaviors and my disorder. Also, if she IS bipolar, she could have rapid cycling.

But, honestly, your best bet is to go to a doctor and find out. We can't diagnose you.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Could I have a bipolar disorder? - June 22nd 2011, 09:21 PM

Honestly, I don't think you have Bipolar Disorder. Your "Highs" sound like, well, relatively average happiness. Also, the lack of symptoms that'd be Manic/Hypomanic makes me doubtful too.

Hormones commonly fluctuate in teenagers, so that would explain why your moods can shift. Doctors don't usually diagnose Bipolar Disorder in people under 18, unless they have extreme symptoms. The self-harming bit, however, is concerning. If your lows are that bad, you could easily have Depression. I suggest talking to your doctor, since they'd be able to refer you to somebody who could help you figure out if anything is wrong, and what.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bipolar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leah

Re: Could I have a bipolar disorder? - June 23rd 2011, 11:38 PM

i AM bipolar. and i know what this can be like. to me, it doesn't seem like you have bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is VERY rare in children. it is extremely unlikely that you have it, but i honestly dont think you do. it sounds like you're just... a teenager. maybe a moody or depressed one, but nothing more. however, if you ARE worried about this, you should talk to a doctor for more information.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Could I have a bipolar disorder? - June 24th 2011, 09:19 AM

Your parents being doctors is meaningless because if they don't pick up on something, it does not mean it's not there. Furthermore, if they are not psychiatrists or psychologists, even if they did pick up on something, they have not undergone the extensive training and have enough experience for that area of medicine.

People with bipolar may struggle with academic work but it is not a statement that applies to all, especially if they are medicated and are not experiencing noticable negative side-effects.

I do not think you have bipolar because the manic episodes need to last at least 7 days while hypomanic episodes need to last at least 4 days. Since this has not been met, it is unlikely you have bipolar. Also, whenever such disorders occur in younger children, the symptoms are often quite severe and something people would notice. There is a higher chance you would have depression.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread