TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AwesomeBobcat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Looks of Perfection - July 1st 2011, 12:57 AM

Hello everyone. Well first off I started to
really judge myself again lately. Only
now it's really self-critical. I recently
watched a video that reminded me of
my dream to be a male model back
when I was 8, 9. Now I saw this model guy and I'm very jealous of him now.
To the point, I feel like breaking down. I
am so ugly yet wish to be a model. I have become very resistant to compliments I don't believe them at all.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Looks of Perfection - July 3rd 2011, 08:07 PM

Hello, Bobcat. Welcome to TeenHelp! =)

So many people strive to look like models. When you see advertisements everywhere you go, it's no wonder that people begin to believe there's something wrong with them if they don't look like the man or woman selling Gucci products. What you may not realize, however, is that models make up a teeny tiny portion of the entire population. I can't post weight figures on TeenHelp, but what I CAN tell you is that most models are well below the average BMI. Models are either born with a high metabolism/thin frame, or they need to starve themselves in order to achieve an "acceptable" weight for their line of work.

Why do you want to be a model? Is it because you enjoy the industry and want to become a part of it? Is it because you feel that is the only way you'll be worth anything? Is it because you want to be noticed or become famous? If you really want to pursue a career in modeling, why not visit an agency and ask them if you'd be a good candidate? Not all models are the kinds that walk down the runway or pose for catalog advertisements. Some models only need to focus on one area of their body - for example, hand models, or underwear models. If you've been told you don't have the face for modeling, then why not look into your other options?

Ultimately, the important thing is to love and accept yourself for who you are - perceived flaws and all. Because, let's face it... most people can't cut it as models! That doesn't mean they're worthless, though! You don't have to be a model to be happy, and you don't have to look a certain way to be successful. The ugliest person in the world could be talented beyond all belief - as a writer, singer, physicist, businessman, etc. What about the "average Joe" who holds a regular job, yet has a loving family and lots of hobbies to keep himself entertained? Is he worth any less than a model or celebrity to relies on their good looks to get ahead in the world? Of course not! It all depends on your perception - which is why I encourage you to focus less on your flaws and more on your positive attributes. =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Serene Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Looks of Perfection - July 4th 2011, 03:03 AM

The biggest part of being a model (and every other job in these sort of industries) is the ability to face rejection. My brother went through modeling company after modeling company, rejected for not being good looking enough. And today he is quite successful at it. The trick is, you'll eventually gain a resistance to it. You just need to stop being self critical. Even Elvis was told he'd never make it as a musician.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Misslostintears Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Daisy

Re: Looks of Perfection - July 5th 2011, 04:32 AM

Perfection is not. Realistic . Everyone has imperfections and that's what makes everyone unique. When you look in the mirror don't notice the bad things. Noticed the good things. I wanted to be a model too my mom even put me in modeling. Everone told me there were no fat models that all models were skinny. I took all my effort into that class coming out as the top modeler there. Now I'm into computers and I know that most videos, pictures, ect are edited. Your find the way you are no matter if your fat, skinny, tall, short or anything else. People who don't look behind beauty and perfection. Well they have even bigger problems. Don't judge a books by its cover. That's what you should tell people. Your beautiful with you imperfections.

Closed Thread