TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 23rd 2011, 06:44 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I have my first Psychiatric assessment on Monday morning, and I'm quite apprehensive. First of all, it's over the phone, and I cannot stand talking about feelings over the phone. Secondly, I don't know what to expect. What kind of questions will they ask me? What do they do with my assessment results?

I've waited nearly four months for this assessment, as they refused to come anywhere near me whilst I was a high risk patient. Thing is, I'm still self harming, I still have extremely suicidal urges, and my mental health in general leaves a lot to be questioned.
I've had a mental health assessment, where some stranger came and asked me questions about drugs and alcohol and personal details, and they basically passed me to a mental health team where someone else comes and asks me politely every week "How are you feeling?".

Why does it have to be over the phone? What a stupid idea.

And one other thing: If I tell them the truth - that I avoid eating when possible, I sometimes don't take my meds deliberately and I have nightmares about peoples skulls being smashed in and me wading through pools of human soup....What will happen?

I'm terrified of being sectioned, and whilst my family are supportive and try to listen, my Dad often tells me I'm 'just tired' or 'everyone has bad days' and my Mum doesn't let me take my prescribed sleeping tablets.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 25th 2011, 02:32 AM

Honestly, I have no clue what they might do. Maybe give you extra support? You should ask them this when you are speaking with them before you pour your guts out. That doesn't mean you should hold anything back when they ask questions, remember they are just trying to help. Tell them you aren't so fond of the idea of doing it over the phone (I wouldn't be either). Maybe you could put your phone on speaker sometimes that helps me it's more like I'm just talking outloud rather then on the phone. I think there is another thread that has the same question about what kinds of things they'll ask you in this forum. http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-m...ch-evaluation/ Hopefully that will answer some of your questions. Just remember, they just want to help you. Let me know how it goes.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 25th 2011, 04:00 AM

I think it is important to know what they could do for or to you. Make sure to find out before spilling your guts. Obviously if they will help you, then yes I think you should be honest.

I also agree it is stupid that it is over the phone- and that it took 4 months.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 25th 2011, 04:20 AM

The only use I can see of doing an assessment over the phone is to get a general idea of the new patient or for an update if the doctor already knows the patient. They probably are aware of your past that resulted in the label of a "high-risk patient", so they would likely ask you about it. Phone assessments can also be for a crisis intervention, whereby some basic information is gathered so the doctors can have an idea of the crisis shortly before you see them.

If you say you don't take medications for whatever reason, it will be a concern because it immediately suggests treatment will be harder. I have a feeling if you say you don't take sleeping medications because your mother refuses, they may want to talk about that with you and her, and they may take it as a sign you may be over-dependent. They may also want to know what medications you've already had and your experiences with them because if you have had positive experiences with certain ones, the doctors may favour them. To put it simply, if I were your doctor, I'd want to know what medications you've taken so I can know which ones not to give you, however, when you tell me you don't take them, then I know it will be harder.

The team that asks you weekly how you're feeling, to me, is somewhat lazy as well as indirectly suggest you're meant to say, "I'm doing great!!!!!!!".

NOTE: I'm not a doctor.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 25th 2011, 04:54 AM

I can tell you one thing that may help. Over the phone is not as awkward nor as bad as it may seem. My girlfriend does some of her assessments over the phone because she cannot drive and sometimes her parents don't wish to drive her there and she is NOT a talker at all. It's hard to get her to say how she feels and it's hard to get her to open up but the phone assessment still helps her. Just relax and try to be open-minded about it so you can get what you need out of the experience. (: Good luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 25th 2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I have a feeling if you say you don't take sleeping medications because your mother refuses, they may want to talk about that with you and her, and they may take it as a sign you may be over-dependent.
Ah, I could have worded this one better. Basically I was prescribed some sleeping tablets because I was getting ill from lack of sleep, and my mum decided to keep them so that I couldn't overdose. Unfortunately, she doesn't agree with them so I haven't taken any

Ugh, it's today, so hopefully it'll go alright.

EDIT:
Well. Biggest waste of time ever. One 11 minute phone call later, and they tell me there's nothing they can do, I'll be going back to the team I was with originally.

Last edited by DeletedAccount7; July 25th 2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Update.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 25th 2011, 02:06 PM

That's absolutely ridiculous.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Psychiatric Assessment...over the phone? - July 26th 2011, 04:51 AM

Sweetheart you need to advocate for yourself. If what you are doing right now is not helping, you call that psychiatrist or whoever it was and you tell them that an 11 minute assesment is not acceptable and explain that what you are doing now is not working.

You won't be sectioned for telling the truth. They MIGHT section you if you are at risk of seriously harming yourself or someone else. I've been in the hospital 5 times for suicidal ideation and never ONCE have they sectioned me. Besides, being sectioned can't be that scary. I know lots of people who would rather be sectioned than be at home with no support. It's a rehabilitation process, not a punishment.

Tell the team you are with now that the assessment didn't go well, and be FIRM about what you want.

Closed Thread