TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

psych evaluation? - July 24th 2011, 04:37 AM

I'm going for a psychiatric evaluation...

I'm just wondering what happens in there.

Will my parents be in there while I'm being evaluated? What sort of questions would the psychiatrist make me answer? Would he ask me personal questions in front of my parents?

I'm afraid; I don't want to open up to a complete stranger, and even more so if it's in front of my parents. I'm not comfortable with that idea.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TwilightDwells Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: psych evaluation? - July 24th 2011, 04:56 AM

You don't have to have your parents in there, that's your own choice. If you want them in there, they can be, if you want a friend, a counsellor, etc. They can be too, it's your choice who you want in there or not.
Basically they'll ask you questions about how your feeling, what you've been going through etc. They won't force answers out of you, but you might feel better from the more you tell.
It's okay to be scared, I was absoluely terrified when I spoke to a counsellor for the first time, a psychiatrist shouldn't be too different except for the fact that they know more and have more skills and training to help you with it.
Just keep your chin up

I will forgive, but I'll never forget.
Love is something earned, not gifted.
The Fallen Angel's cry for their beloved.
~ Katie

Last edited by TwilightDwells; July 24th 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Reason? Oh that's simple, I can't "Speel"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: psych evaluation? - July 24th 2011, 01:44 PM

When I was evaluated, it was a little different. They won't ask you things in front of your parents, because they know the presence of your parents can have an effect on your answers. My psychological evaluation was a few hours long -- they also did mental tests, such as creating things with blocks and doing math problems and drawing pictures. They asked me personal questions at the end. It's not that bad, moreso time consuming than anything.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 24th 2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks guys. It doesnt sound that bad.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: psych evaluation? - July 24th 2011, 08:57 PM

I just did a psych eval on wednesday night Hospitalization for the loss...

Anyway, it's not bad. It seems scarier than it is at times, but it's for your benefit.

The BEST thing you can do is to be 100% HONEST. If you lie or don't tell the psychiatrist the whole truth, you won't get help, and then you'll be kicking yourself because you didn't tell the truth.

When I first started therapy, my therapist did an evaluation that lasted about 2 hours, and she started and I was like, "uh does my dad need to be here" and she was shocked haha. But ya she sent him packing and it was easy from there.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 25th 2011, 03:38 AM

Ahh thanks sooo much!! This is really helping me from freaking out about it even though its not for like 2 weeks!

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: psych evaluation? - July 25th 2011, 04:31 AM

As mentioned, you have the option of not having your parents with you in the room BUT since you are under 18/21, the psychiatrist would tell your parents if there may be any mental disorder, future appointments, etc... . Generally, the first appointment is mostly of getting to know you so you're not expected to pour out very intimate answers. You need to answer as truthfully as possible because if you lie, the psychiatrist may detect that as they don't just evaluate what you say, rather how you say and what you don't say. It could also lead to incorrect diagnoses and remember, it will go on your medical record so other doctors later on can see it, so you'll be shooting yourself in the feet by lying.

Lastly, psychiatrists typically will spend LESS time with you than therapists and counsellors because they are oriented toward forming a diagnosis quickly and accurately. Therapists are oriented toward understanding why there is a certain behaviour and how to alter it but they do not help in forming the diagnosis.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 26th 2011, 05:01 AM

Evaluations are usually pretty long, from my experience. They want to get as much info as possible.

Here is what happens when you lie to a psychiatrist/therapist:

Psych: Do you ever see things that are not there?
You: No (in your head, yes)
Psych: Do you feel worthless, sad, or have a lowered sex drive?
You: No.
Psych asks more questions, you keep lying so they won't think you're crazy.

Psych: Well there seems to be nothing wrong with you. I don't need to prescribe any pills for you, and you can go home now, and it doesnt look like you need any long term therapy, so I wont' need to put in a referral for you.

You go home, you have no help, no medications, no diagnosis, but you STILL feel the same way that you did, only now you feel like crap because you backed yourself into a hole and can't get out.

Do you see?
When you do your evaluation, be ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN THOUSAND PERCENT honest with the person evaluating you, so that you GET THE HELP YOU NEED AND DESERVE. If you are honest, things can only get better.

Your parents won't know everything talked about in therapy without your consent. You are compitent and can keep things from them and keep them private. Your therapist/psych/whatever might want to tell your parents the diagnosis and give them the prescription for your meds (IF NEED BE) and that is it. THe psych is not going to share what your answers were, they are not going to tell your parents much unless you give permission, and that is a process and a half, haha. When I want to release information, I have to sign forms, write down what I want shared, etc. It's very private, even though you are only 15.

You might also want to start off by sharing your concerns with the person evaluating you, and they can clear up their confidentiality boundaries and stuff, which might make you feel better. You can also ask them as many questions as you want. If they say they want to put you on a med, ask what it is, what it's going to do to your body, how long it takes to work, ALL THAT. It shows the psych that you are mature, and it shows them that you are willing to get better and want help.

Sorry if I'm rambling a lot. I just want this to be easy for you

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 26th 2011, 05:35 AM

Thank you so so much! this helps a lot! I will let you guys know how it goes, if it actually happens now. My mom thinks that a stupid teen "survival" group is going to magically solve all my problems... so Idk if she cancelled the evaluation or not. If she did im going to make her schedule it. Because I know that nothing will ever change if someone doesn't flat out tells her whats wrong with me, but before that can happen...

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

(#10 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 26th 2011, 06:51 PM

The widerness thing is like my parents! My dad thinks I'm secretly harboring my awesome leadership and social skills and should be captain of a sports team.

Last edited by vrgtfvgt4vg; July 27th 2011 at 01:49 AM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 27th 2011, 12:35 AM

Believe it or not, wilderness therapy is actually EXTREMELY effective. Things like being on sports teams, volunteering, getting a job, camping, etc is MAGIC. My mental health was so out of control when I was younger, even when I was on meds. So I did what my dad suggested. I got a job, I volunteer at a childrens crisis centre (kids come in when their parents can't take care of them), and I have never been more healthy. It helps to keep busy and do productive things. Your parents might have a point with that teen survival program. Check out "brat camp". Not saying you are a brat, but that was a tv show about teens who went to wilderness and survival therapy and lots of them had emotional problems, and now they are new kids.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 27th 2011, 02:24 AM

It's not a wilderness thing. It's just meeting once a week in a conference room and talking about our week. It's quite stupid we just sit there and color or play with toys. I find it demeaning and belittling, treating us like we are babies. The wilderness thing sounds really fun!! But my parents wouldn't be able to afford it.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 27th 2011, 10:02 AM

Maybe giving colouring and stuff a chance. It can be very therapeutic. I was doing play therapy until my 18th birthday when I needed to be transfered to an adult therapist. Maybe tell your parents that the thing you're doing now isn't helping you.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 28th 2011, 05:58 AM

I told my dad but his hands are tied. The good thing is that my mom didn't cancel the evaluation but it's not till the end of next month. So after that everything should start falling into place.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: psych evaluation? - July 28th 2011, 02:47 PM

Sarah, give the therapy a chance, as said. I mean, I've heard positive things about Art Therapy (and I'm considering it myself, sometime in the future), so why not try to be creative, and draw out any bad feelings you have?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: psych evaluation? - July 29th 2011, 02:56 AM

Art, play and music therapy were the only things keeping me floating when I was a teenager haha. Now I'm in CBT and it has been extremely helpful, as well.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Re: psych evaluation? - July 29th 2011, 01:01 PM

I've never been to one, but I know a couple girls at the gym who have to go. One goes for an eating disorder (No, it's not huge. It was only for about a month and they caught it early enough where she can still train) and another for an injury. She broke her heel, and was told she had an even slimmer chance of making it on the national team because of it. But she goes to therapy to keep herself under control i guess, and she said that it seems intimidating cause you think they'll just tell you what everyone else already has, but they actually really helped her. She's training harder than ever, and if anyone in my gym goes to the olympics I'd bet my life it's her.

I guess I'm just saying good luck, but you don't need it. You'll be fine. Everything will be ok.

-Leah

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

Closed Thread