TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Question Psych Unit? - December 27th 2011, 01:30 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

*(I don't know where to put this, so move it if you see fit)*

My mum wants to admit me into a psych unit for my irregular suicidal tendencies.

I will have a bout of severe depression that will last a few weeks, then a few weeks after I will be loving life to the fullest, then back to wanting to destroy myself.

I am currently in one of the worst low's I have experienced. I don't want to live, but I don't have the emotional disregard for my little sister to leave her. I can't cope living with my mum, who likes to drink and when she does she gets angry at me for whatever reason she can find, and I can't ask my dad to give up his career just so I can be selfish and not live with my mum because she upsets me.

Anyway, back to the point.

Would a psych unit be beneficial for me? What are they like/what are the conditions of being in one?

I'm scared how long I can hold onto this one little reason for me to stay alive.

"Do not regret anything. Every choice, fuck up, spoken word, experience and emotion has brought you to this very moment. It has shaped exactly who you are. Do not regret who you are. You are unique. No one in the world is like you. In this sense, we are alone. Yet for this very reason, we all have one thing in common. Don't waste who you are, be everything you can be. You can achieve your dreams, you just have to genuinely try."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Psych Unit? - December 27th 2011, 05:01 PM

Well psych units are different in different places. Here you would be in a adolescent unit with kids aged anywhere from 12 to 17. You would go to a school in the hospital during the day like you would at home, and after school you would talk to nurses, doctors, social workers, students, and sometimes hypnotherapists. Then you watch tv and go to bed. Adolescent units are pretty laid back, one person had all their stuff in their room when I was there including a stereo, guitar, etc.

I really do think it may be beneficial to go though. While hormones could be the cause of your distress it could be other things too and it may be a good idea to try and rule out some of those other things.
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Psych Unit? - December 30th 2011, 08:00 PM

Hey. I was in a hospital designed for mental illnesses and substance abuse. I was in the adult ward, but my boyfriend was in the teenager ward that you would be in. Here, we didn't have any classes, we had different activities planned, they made sure we took our medicine and didn't get hurt, ext ext. I actually opened up and learned a lot while I was there, I learned a lot of coping strategies and actually made a few really great friends.

Try to go in with an open mind, it's not as bad as the movies make it out to be. Though I have to warn it's not for everyone. While I learned a lot, I think it actually harmed me while I was there because I was missing school and work, I was very stressed out about it. Think it over, is the freedom to do what you want something you really value in life, or are you okay with doing what others tell you to? If not, I suggest alternative therapies like group meetings, individual therapists, ext. Or you can see if they have an outpatient program, that way you are free to go about your normal day, and go to the programs in the evening or afternoon.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Psych Unit? - December 30th 2011, 10:41 PM

Don't go to one unless you feel it is the only option you have to stay alive.

The reason I say this is that the stigma associated with having been in one is particularly severe.

Sorry this isn't that helpful. I hope, whatever you do, that you are able to get better. Just make sure you have tried other things first.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Re: Psych Unit? - December 31st 2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post

The reason I say this is that the stigma associated with having been in one is particularly severe.

Sorry this isn't that helpful. I hope, whatever you do, that you are able to get better. Just make sure you have tried other things first.
How would anyone know if you've been in one unless you told them?
I've been in psych units more times than I care to count since I was 17 and the only people who know are the ones I've told.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Psych Unit? - December 31st 2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Having been in one, I do not agree. You should go if you need help and think it will work, not as a last resort. Not to mention, no one has to know you were in one... It's not like you walk around in a dunce hat upon return

Besides, I told people in my class I was in a hospital like this for awhile (it related to our discussion) and I have not been treated any different. I wouldn't care if people thought any different of me, they obviously don't know what I've been through or what it's like

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Psych Unit? - December 31st 2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I don't agree with this either. I was in a unit when I was 16 and I missed 6 days of school. I came back and I told two people who kept it to themselves. As far as everyone else was concerned, I told them I was VERY sick with the "swine flu". Luckily, they left me alone for quite a while. Even if they did find out, they didn't say anything. They understand it's something that shouldn't be looked down upon and it was important for my well-being that I got help. Worrying about what others will think should not be a deciding factor. Your life is worth more than that.

All units are different but for me I was in the Adolescent ward because I was 16. I was on suicide watch every 7 minutes for the first 24 hours. I had meals with everyone. I had group, music, and art therapy. I had an anger management course and I learned coping mechanisms to stop cutting and control suicidal thoughts. I made a few friends and shared stories and it was an amazing experience for me that I'll never forget.

I'd definitely suggest admitting yourself. If you feel like you need help and it would be beneficial to you; then I'd say go for it. You deserve the help.

Last edited by Stargazed.; December 31st 2011 at 04:51 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Psych Unit? - December 31st 2011, 11:25 PM

I put off going to emergency, because at 15 you can't self admit to the Psyciatric hospital- you have to be 16, and I asked my parents to take me but because I don't share with them how I'm doing, they didn't think it was serious enough and suggested other ways to help.
Three days later I cut so badly I needed stitches (which I went and got alone at emergency the next day, blaming it on falling in the shower and catching my arm on the towel rack. I don't quite know how that would work, but the staff believed it)
Then I went to the second half of school, and went immediately to the counselors (because I have extreme anxiety Ive been having panic attacks that make me unable to stay in class longer than 5 minutes, 30 on a good day if the teacher isn't talking, so I've been rarely going to class and spending lots of time in the counselling area)
I talked to the counsellor, and she decided that with a two week break coming up she was going to take me to emergency to get an evaluation and plan in action. (I'm not suicidal- terrified of death- but I have manic moments where if things went wrong i could easily die, so a psych ward wasn't thought necessary, but emergency help was)
Basically what I'm saying is: go. Because the fact that you're considering it means you need it. Don't wait for it to get worse- it's bad enough. Get help, you deserve it. And don't worry about covering it up, flu would be a great excuse.
I'm always here to talk (you can probably tell I'm awesome at ranting)
PM anytime (I'm on pacific time)
Keep breathing

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Psych Unit? - January 2nd 2012, 01:59 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and support. I have one more question though, what time frame do you usually look at for admittance? In terms of staying there, days? Weeks? Months? I know it will depend from person to person but at a rough guess?

"Do not regret anything. Every choice, fuck up, spoken word, experience and emotion has brought you to this very moment. It has shaped exactly who you are. Do not regret who you are. You are unique. No one in the world is like you. In this sense, we are alone. Yet for this very reason, we all have one thing in common. Don't waste who you are, be everything you can be. You can achieve your dreams, you just have to genuinely try."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Psych Unit? - January 2nd 2012, 02:13 PM

In my state children admitted by a parent must sign to stay for at least 6 days and if they start to improve and they make a safety plan then they are good to leave. If not, then they can stay anywhere from 6 days - 6 months.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Psych Unit? - January 2nd 2012, 03:26 PM

Where I went, the average stay was 3-5 days, my boyfriend who went to the adolescent unit was out in 4, and I was out in 5 in the adult unit.. The longest they could keep you was I think 3 years... then they had to get a court order to keep you for another 5. Though that honestly was pretty rare and only for the most extreme cases, a kid with some depression did NOT fit within those extreme cases. I'm assuming its different with each facility

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Re: Psych Unit? - January 2nd 2012, 04:51 PM

I was in for a month in the adolescent unit. Longest I've been in is 3 months and the shortest I've been in is overnight.

It really varies by hospital, person, and situation.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Psych Unit? - January 3rd 2012, 03:20 AM

Thank you guys so much for all your help. really, I can't express it enough. Thank you all for sharing your own experiences, it means a lot.

I hope you all are ok and having a wonderful new year x

Closed Thread