TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 1st 2012, 09:02 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I struggle with SH. I tell that to my mom and, while she has actually gotten me a therapist (shocking) I don't know who it will be yet since I've only done the intake. Even though I'm getting that help, my mom was pretty much like "If I see any more cuts I'm going to put you in the psych part of our hospital for 72 hours." See, I'm not saying I don't want to stop, because I do. And I've relapsed since, but she hasn't noticed. I'm scared for the day she does because I don't want to be put in a psych unit. Not during the school year, I can't afford to miss school so I'd be freaking out the entire time I'm there. I've also had suicidal thoughts but my mom pretty much is under the impression my school was exaggerating when they told her, which I'm really not going to argue. I'm thinking that once I actually get into therapy I'll be fine, but even with that if my mom doesn't notice a change she's pulling me, and I fear for any rescheduled appointments because I stopped going because of too many cancelled ones last time. The thing is is that my SH's getting a bit bad again and I've relapsed more than I have in a while, so sometimes I think the psych thing would be pretty good. After all that, my question is: What are the requirements you have to meet FOR being put into a psych unit for any period of time?

Sorry if any of that was useless babble or didn't make sense.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 1st 2012, 09:17 PM

Hi there.

As for the how bad things need to be and so on, I think it's different for everywhere. I read on this site and others, that for example, people in America seem to be able to just admit themselves and parents admit their children. I've real stories on that too, but here in the UK, you can't just admit yourself. It's not that easy so I'm not sure about that for where you do live.

I know now that I have said this, my reply might be pointless to you because I can't as such answer what you're asking Sorry! But I wanted to make sure you do what is beat for you, forget about your mum. I know that's hard and with what she is saying but think about you. By that I mean if you think you need help and it's getting out of control, maybe you do need to go in. Although I have to be honest and say going in for 72 hours seems pointless to me. I was admitted on to a unit in May and I was there for four months. I was admitted with the threat this if I didn't agree I would be put under a section because I was either at my doctors or A&E every day needing medical attention as my self harm did get way out of control. And as hard as things are for me right now, that four months helped me break that cycle of self harm and helped me in other ways too. What I am saying is that you just need to think about your safety. If you're too, ending up in a&e every other day needing stitches, then I know it's hard I do, but you have to think about how safe you are and the risk you are putting yourself at.

If you ever want to talk then you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM. I know it's hard but you can beat this so keep fighting. You are worth so much more than self harm.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 1st 2012, 09:20 PM

Hey Dez To keep it short and simple, ever psych unit is different with different requirements for admittance. After having been in one, I can tell you it's not all that bad. Though I had the same problem as you, I missed school and it was a huge deal and really stressed me out. At the hospital I went to, which is specifically for psychiatric care, there wasn't many "requirements" for admittance. As a minor, it is possible to be checked in without your actual consent, at mine anyway. Hell... I was admitted without consent, and I was 18. I'm sure I could have gotten out of going in if I was more persuasive, but part of me knew I should be admitted.

I think the only requirements is that you have some sort of problem, whether it be depression, another mental illness, or substance abuse. Since you have scars, I'm sure they'll take your word on having said problem, and admit you without any question. They'll probably do an evaluation first, where they ask you a bunch of questions about your self-harm, and any other psychiatric problems, I'd suggest being honest so they can help. This is assuming you actually go in, which we both hope you don't need to!!!

Good luck, if you have more questions on what a psychiatric unit is like, let me know.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 1st 2012, 09:35 PM

Thank you Marissa and Jessie.

With being in honors classes and hearing about how if you get perfect attendance all four years there's a chance of a scholarship, I think I'd be flipping out while in a psych unit. Are you allowed to do any homework or schoolwork whatsoever while you are there, at least?
If I do get admitted it's not like I can say "I only want it from the last day of school until the day before the first day of school" Or something like that (a.k.a. summer vacation) which would make it really hard. Going to a tech school, it's really bad to miss shop because only half the year is spent doing academic work and half in a trade, and it's split up into cycles of each. Missing the trade is worse than missing the academic work because we can't bring it home for homework, and if I DO get admitted over the summer or something, I'd be starting off school back in the trade area, if that makes any sense. If it's for self harm or suicidal thoughts, on average how long are people there?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 1st 2012, 09:50 PM

Hi there again

Where I went, there was actually a school built on to the unit, just for the in-patients which was for good for the young people and for some really beneficial because some people can be there from a few days to a few years. However, this time around, I barely went in to the school, I missed about ten weeks of school and then the summer holiday started but I'm carrying on with my course now and even though its stressful, I am catching up. I don't think I can put a time on for you. In April I was admitted after a suicide attempt and I was allowed to discharged myself after four days. Like I said this time around, people thought I was at risk of killing myself, from my self harm and I was still trying to discharge myself up until about my 8th week being there, but I wasn't allowed. It is honestly different for everyone. But if you did go on to want to go in to hospital, this is something you can discuss before hand. Although I was an emergency admittance, there are planned admittance's too, which I had back in 2009 for teen weeks. This is where you agree to go in, discuss the care plan, when you're going to be admitted and how long you aim to stay for although this can alter, normally, in your agreement. So maybe you can even look in to that option and see if it is available to where you would be going, because everywhere is different.

Just think about it all. This is about you and your health care and you have a right to say what you want and feel you need. This is all aiming to help you get better. Be honest to yourself and to the ones trying to help you.

I hope this helps.
Jessie

Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 2nd 2012, 02:46 AM

I'll start off by saying I personally have never been admitted, however, some members of my family and 1 friend has. There are two main types of admittance: voluntary and involuntary. In Canada, if you're admitted for whatever reason and have work or courses you need to keep up with, usually you can still do them if someone brings them to you. Therapists are trained to gather information that you verbally dictate as well as information from how you say it and anything you omit, so they may suspect you're lying if you are. It's not a 100% chance they'll catch you lying, especially if you know how to manipulate, however, doing so detracts from the reason you're there. Try to tell the therapist the truth and especially give information you believe would be important.

The amount of time you stay in the psych ward depends on the combined opinion of the psychiatrists, nurses, therapists and social workers. If deemed necessary, they can keep you for more than 72 hours, even if your mother disapproves because her opinion in the matter is irrelevant. Since you would be admitted for self-harming, depression and possible suicide, you would not be released the very same day, unless something truly unusual happened. The bare minimum I think would be 5-7 days and afterward you may be placed in out-patient care (i.e. seeing therapists and psychiatrists outside the hospital).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 2nd 2012, 05:19 AM

Depending on where you go, I disagree that there will be a minimum of a week or more. I have seen people admitted and even admitting to suicidal thoughts/ideation, they were kept for around 48 hours, not the typically guesstimated 72. That being said, said people also went through the ER, and were then transported to a psych unit that dealt/deals with minors. You have to be a real special case to be kept for 72 hours, let alone for any more than that. It is, unfortunately, an incredibly costly, incredibly messed up system, so as much as I encourage getting help, I can also say that you may not find much help if you go through your local hospital ER.

I would suggest doing research as far as inpatient programs, if you're looking for that sort of help.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 2nd 2012, 05:26 AM

I also wanted to add that such holds have done wonders for some people, but given the typical 1-2 days they generally keep you, I don't personally feel it would have more of an impact than regular, ongoing therapy or regular inpatient care/treatment.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 2nd 2012, 05:54 AM

Yeah, it's not even my idea, it's my mom's. I'd only want to do something like that over the summer when I don't have school but it's not like I can just leave when summer's over. =/

(#10 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 2nd 2012, 03:26 PM

Well I don't discourage it if you think you could benefit from it, simply that I think you'd want more than 72 hours if you wanted a long-standing impact and you'd need to qualify for more than 72 hours to get more than the typical 24-48. You could always see how you feel after seeing your therapist? Or even get a feel for your therapist and then, closer to the summer, discuss the possibility of inpatient treatment with him/her?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 2nd 2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Yeah, it's not even my idea, it's my mom's. I'd only want to do something like that over the summer when I don't have school but it's not like I can just leave when summer's over. =/
Hi there again.

I have to be honest and say I wonder how bad things are for you right now. Going in to hospital is normally for a last resort and/or because of a crisis situation, for example, you've been in therapy for months, it doesn't seem to have helped and things are getting worse and you are hurting yourself worse and more OR you end up attempting killing yourself and you're known to be at risk.

If you think you could just go in in summer time and be fine until then, in my opinion, maybe you don't need in-patient treatment. Clearly you don't think it'a too bad right now or that you're at risk or that you can't keep yourself safe over the next several days. Maybe you need to look in to getting out-patient support instead such as therapy once a week to work through the issues causing the self harm then working on how to help you stop self harming.

I'm not saying you don't need or deserve help and support, but there's different tiers and levels of the support a person needs depending on their own situation.

I hope this makes sense.
Jessie

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 3rd 2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygophobia View Post
I have to be honest and say I wonder how bad things are for you right now. Going in to hospital is normally for a last resort and/or because of a crisis situation, for example, you've been in therapy for months, it doesn't seem to have helped and things are getting worse and you are hurting yourself worse and more OR you end up attempting killing yourself and you're known to be at risk.

If you think you could just go in in summer time and be fine until then, in my opinion, maybe you don't need in-patient treatment. Clearly you don't think it'a too bad right now or that you're at risk or that you can't keep yourself safe over the next several days. Maybe you need to look in to getting out-patient support instead such as therapy once a week to work through the issues causing the self harm then working on how to help you stop self harming.
Yes, I don't think that I need the inpatient, really. While yes, the self harm is back a little bit more than it used to, a lot of things to think about have been bugging me more than they usually have lately. I'm not at risk any time soon and I've never even required stitches for my self harm. My mom's the one who wants to put me there if she sees any more cuts, but they're not deep or anything. Thanks.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 3rd 2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post

Yes, I don't think that I need the inpatient, really. While yes, the self harm is back a little bit more than it used to, a lot of things to think about have been bugging me more than they usually have lately. I'm not at risk any time soon and I've never even required stitches for my self harm. My mom's the one who wants to put me there if she sees any more cuts, but they're not deep or anything. Thanks.
Do you have any support now for being out-patient? If not is it something you could look in to?

Jessie :-)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 3rd 2012, 04:41 PM

Hey

Lots of things to say, I'll try and keep it brief.

I stayed at a Psychiatric Hospital in the UK for about 6 months. In the hospital I stayed in it was like Jessie's, it did have a small school room, but it might as well not have been there. I was working towards 10 exams before my admittance, and I had to drop 6 of them because the help that I was offered was minimal. I'm not complaining, because I know that exam stress was a big problem for me and to have that pressure taken away meant I was able to focus better on my thoughts and talking them over with people.

As far as I know, there aren't any entry requirements, but where I live, it was almost impossible to get a place at first because the only hospitals suitable were full. So only the most serious get admitted. Just like Jessie and Marissa said really, it depends where you live.

I know that most SH patients can be treated as out-patients. I'm not sure about the 72 hour admittance thing, at the hospital I was at, the average stay was 7 months and hardly anybody stayed for shorter than about a month. But like everyone else said, I'm sure it varies hugely from place to place.

One thing to bear in mind when thinking about Psychiatric Hospitals is that it changes everything, forever. Being in a hospital with locked doors 24/7 can be essential to keeping you safe, but it will drive you crazy. Privacy doesn't exist in these places and it can get lonely. But I know it really does helps. The facilities at my hospital were great, it was nice having a designated punch-bag room!

There were 9 other patients and since leaving, I know they have all been discharged and are all feeling a lot better in themselves.

If you have any questions you'd love to know about what things are like in these hospitals, I'm probably one of the most suited to talk to about it I hope that whatever you/your mum chooses is the best option, I hope it all works out for you <3

Oh and just one last thing, Jessie is amazing, when I was trying to work out if an in-patient stay would be best for me, she was the one I talked to about all of this stuff. And the advice she gave me was spot on, a year and a bit on from the chat I had with her, I've been admitted to a ward, stayed and left and now I'm a lot better

Aidan

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: 72 Hour Psych Admittance? - January 3rd 2012, 06:46 PM

I know it's this in Florida for a fact, but I think it might be the same in other states. Here you can be held up to 72 hours if someone says you're a danger to yourself. How long they hold you after is something they decide.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread