TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jodiekardash Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Never hungry - November 7th 2012, 11:39 PM

My eating routine has always been bad but recently it's got even worse, I eat nothing throughout the day but I don't understand how I'm not losing weight? I hardly eat and I can't feel the weight dropping off me, infact, I feel like I'm gaining weight.

I don't know if I've got an eating disorder and my BMI is slightly underweight so the doctors don't know I'm hardly eating, although I'm going to tell my counselor.

Any advice/help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kamrin

Re: Never hungry - November 7th 2012, 11:50 PM

The reason why your body may gain weight when you don't eat is basically because it goes into survival mode & stores all of the fat to try to survive.

Are you trying to lose weight or did it just sort of happen? I know some people are naturally tiny & don't have much of an appetite, so I was just curious. Good idea to talk to your counselor.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: Never hungry - November 8th 2012, 01:07 AM

I agree with Honey Muffin. I think you're not losing weight because your body is going into survival mode and storing up fat.

Not eating is not the best way to lose weight (it's actually either pretty ineffective, for a while, or you lose so much weight that you're very unhealthy and waaaay too skinny). If you are trying get thinner, you should still eat, but maybe try reducing your portions (not too much), and avoid unhealthy foods. Also get lots of exercise. I lost about [Edited] pounds from running without even trying, and I didn't even want to lose weight (not that I mind, of course :P )! So running is great for that. Good luck!

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

Last edited by SparklingWine; November 9th 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Posting weight figures- against the CoC

(#4 (permalink)) Old
jodiekardash Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

November 8th 2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Muffin View Post
The reason why your body may gain weight when you don't eat is basically because it goes into survival mode & stores all of the fat to try to survive.

Are you trying to lose weight or did it just sort of happen? I know some people are naturally tiny & don't have much of an appetite, so I was just curious. Good idea to talk to your counselor.
I'm naturally skinny and don't have much of an appetite, but my parents try and force me to eat and it's like I genuinely can't force this down me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl97 View Post
I agree with Honey Muffin. I think you're not losing weight because your body is going into survival mode and storing up fat.

Not eating is not the best way to lose weight (it's actually either pretty ineffective, for a while, or you lose so much weight that you're very unhealthy and waaaay too skinny). If you are trying get thinner, you should still eat, but maybe try reducing your portions (not too much), and avoid unhealthy foods. Also get lots of exercise. I lost about [Edited] pounds from running without even trying, and I didn't even want to lose weight (not that I mind, of course :P )! So running is great for that. Good luck!
It sounds ridiculous but I love the look of really skinny people. I'm already very unhealthy. I just don't know what's going on with my body.

Last edited by SparklingWine; November 9th 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Merging posts. And edting out weight figures :D

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Never hungry - November 9th 2012, 03:52 PM

Hey!

I can actually really relate. You see, about a year before I developed an eating disorder, I asked the exact same question as you have. I wasn't hungry, and one day I tracked my intake and was kinda shocked by how little I was actually intaking, then confused by how I wasn't losing weight. At the time it didn't really bother me, I was just confused. The end result was the same though: I developed an eating disorder. That's not to say you will or have (I'm not a doctor ) but it's just a warning that this could be an early sign, or something that could potentially cause you to develop an eating disorder.

The answer to your question? Well, like I said, I'm not a doctor, but from my hours of research I kinda figured out the reason was that supposedly when you don't eat enough, your body 'slows down'. It burns less calories to keep you alive, and it does this by slowing your heart beat and breathing rate, as well as other processes like this. It doesn't matter whether you're intentionally restricting or not- not eating enough will always have the same effects on your body. It's very dangerous, and is something I urge you to act on.

Everyone has different calorific needs, BMI is bullshit. Naturally small people need less calories than someone twice their height. Everybody is different, but if your parents are concerned, I'd advise you to see a doctor to just check on your body and see if you are in fact eating enough. It could be that you are eating enough to sustain yourself, or it could be that you're not eating enough and your metabolism has slowed down.

Best of luck!

Jezza

Take as long as you need.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Never hungry - November 12th 2012, 03:47 PM

You're not losing any weight because here is the problem. When you go on to starve yourself, your body gets allllll sorts of confused. It's a drastic change to just start starving. So what happens is, your body gets really hungry and decides that if this is how it's going to be, then every small thing you stick in your body is going to be stored as fat to survive. Your body is trying to take care of it's self in this respect. And should you say, go days without eating anything- your body is going to eat at your muscle. Not your fat. Because what's stored as fat is needed to survive. So any weight you DO lose, will be muscle mass. And that's the last thing that you want to lose.

Eating healthy is a much more effective alternative. If you eat all the healthy foods, then you are fueling your body in all the right ways. Now, exercising healthily will work off the fat you're wanting to lose. because you're eating, your body doesn't need to hold on to fat anymore. It's content to let go of it because it trusts that you're going to keep fueling it with healthy foods. Make sense? Your best bet is to eat healthy and exercise. It's the most effective, healthy way to go about weight loss.

And that's not to say that I don't understand what you're going through. Because I absolutely do. I suggest that you talk to someone about this. You're not meant to be going through something so big alone. It's daunting, and it's hard. You're okay to need people! There are people who want to help you. Let them. You don't need to fight this battle. You're a beautiful person. I don't need to see you to know that, either. Everyone possesses their own beauty. And you're meant to embrace that. However, it takes time. So never give up that fight! <3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread