TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Forgetit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: coco

I think I have a problem.... - November 23rd 2012, 11:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm legit bulimic I mean I don't really completely binge like I'll eat a lot but not really enough to be called bingeing and then I throw it up I usually throw up like 1 or twice a day like 4 or 5 times a week but heres the thing I"M NOT GETTING SKINNIER so if I'm not getting unhealthily skinny at least I don't think I am is it really a problem my throat hasn't bleed or anything so is it a problem will I need help and if I do who should I tell first like not a family member though

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bellatink Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Steph

Re: I think I have a problem.... - November 24th 2012, 12:38 PM

Hi leah, to me it sounds like you could be bulimic - and as much as we think it'll make us thinner, most bulimics are actually a healthy weight... just not very healthy on the inside. I think it would be a good idea to get help - could you see your GP or talk to a school counsellor or something? they'll know who you need to talk to about it.

I'm here if you want to talk

(#3 (permalink)) Old
nerual:) Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nerual:)

Re: I think I have a problem.... - November 24th 2012, 03:21 PM

hi,
yeah, it kinda sounds to me like you might bulimic. Just because you're not an unhealthy weight doesn't mean that it isn't a problem and that you shouldn't get help. Also, forcing yourself to throw up does a lot more damage than just making your throat bleed - it can damage your teeth, decrease bone density, cause hormone irregularities, insomnia and loads of other problems.

I also think you should go see a school councillor or your GP as they'll likely have information as to where you can get more focused help.

Well done for realising you might have a problem and coming to get help about it though

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: I think I have a problem.... - November 24th 2012, 05:35 PM

Morning!

Okay. So the first thing I want you to know is this: Eating disorders are not about weight. In any shape or form. Someone who is a perfectly healthy weight can die instantly from heart failure caused by not eating, or bingeing and purging. I'm not trying to scare you, that's just fact. Too many people believe the misconception that eating disorders are about weight and if they aren't sickly skinny, they don't have a problem or 'aren't sick enough'. That's bullshit. Eating disorders don't discriminate by age, height, weight, eye colour, dog's name, number of toes- nothing, kay?

Purging cause a lot of problems on it's own, including (as Lauren mentioned) but not limited to: Esophageal problems
Vocal chord damage
Stomach ulcers
Osteoporosis
Hair loss
Digestive problems
Decreased body temperature
Irregular heart beat
Elimination problems
Dental damage
Organ damage

.....so not fun then, yeah? <3 You really need to get this checked out, my darling. Eating disorders are deadly demons that pose as friends, and you need to recognise that and push it away. That's so much easier said than done. Stopping the cycle of bingeing and purging is something incredibly difficult, but it is possible, I promise you.

No one here can diagnose you- we aren't doctors, and then there's that distance thing But we can recommend you get help- which is what I'm doing now. The sooner you get help, the sooner you can recover from this once and for all, and get on with your life.

If you don't want to talk to your family, how about friends, extended family, teachers, doctors, counselors, guidance workers, therapists....any adult you trust, really. It's so hard to reach out, but 30 seconds of bravery can make all of the difference.

Head up <3

Take as long as you need.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I think I have a problem.... - November 25th 2012, 03:53 PM

Hey there

Like Jezza above me has so wonderfully explained, eating disorders are not about weight.
I have non-purging bulimia, and I'm actually overweight, so...

You could tell a school counselor, or a nurse, or maybe a trusted adult like a teacher, nurse, church member if your religious, etc.

Like I said, the above posters have pretty much covered everything I would tell you, but I just wanted you to know you can always come to me, if you need to talk, yeah? <3

~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Forgetit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: coco

Re: I think I have a problem.... - November 25th 2012, 03:56 PM

one question wtf is a gp

(#7 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I think I have a problem.... - November 25th 2012, 04:24 PM

Um..I think she meant like a general practitioner, like a general doctor..but I'm not sure.

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: I think I have a problem.... - November 25th 2012, 04:24 PM

A GP is a doctor. If you have a problem, you make an appointment to go and see them, where you'll be assessed and referred, treated or reassured as necessary. It stands for General Practioner, and is generally the first port of call for someone who is ill. It's an English term, I think the American equivalent is a family doctor?

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread