TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
frison1313 Offline
Average Joe

How people become anorexic? - February 16th 2013, 07:24 PM

Hey, i had always wondered, how people become anorexic ? it's such a sad disorder
i don't know if some anorexics are gonna read this post but if you do : does it come just like this ? i mean, you woke on day, saying i wanna lose weight cause i feel fat, or i don't like my body?
Thank you for your response

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 16th 2013, 10:46 PM

I think it varies from person to person. Some people just want to lose a few pounds (or many points) and in their efforts they start working to hard to cut calories and work out because they can't shake the feeling of being "fat" or some how that their body needs to change. Some people have body issues from another source. But it all stems out of body image, and in many cases goes right into being body dysmophia where the person with an ED can't stop thinking that they need to be thinner, I have one friend who was bulimic and she couldn't stop thinking that she was fat and was VERY worried about what others thought about her even though she's actually thin and I tried telling her that the only thing I could in any way deem reasonable for her was living healthy by exercising and eating healthy on a regular basis, but it took quite some time for me to get through to her. Hopefully someone else can jump in here to fill in gaps

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 17th 2013, 06:21 AM

For me, it wasn't really even about losing weight. I mean, yeah, I hated my body, but I wasn't "overweight" so to speak. I just wanted something to control, and ya know what? I could control that I didn't eat. It just gave me something to control in my out-of-control life.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 17th 2013, 10:34 AM

Hey,

I think, as everyone as already said, it's very different for different people. For some people, it can start off as just wanting to lose a bit, and then getting caught in the cycle. Some people are genetically predisposed to eating disorders, and something can trigger this, like a diet or being complimented on losing weight. For others, it's a coping method, a way of numbing.

For me, I started off wanting to lose weight. Then, losing weight gave me a purpose, and took over my life- meaning I didn't worry about anything other than losing weight for a while. It was numbing, and took away my sense of reality.

But I think it's more of a gradual process than just waking up and wanting to lose weight.

Take as long as you need.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
frison1313 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 17th 2013, 12:52 PM

Thank you for all your answers, they really helped me to understand better

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 17th 2013, 01:15 PM

For me, yeah, it was triggered by wanting to change my body. But then it became an addiction; wanting to get the number on the scale to go down. I felt it was something that I could focus on and be a part of because I felt there was nothing special or significant about me.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 18th 2013, 09:24 PM

I've never had an eating disorder, but I have a friend who's dealing with anorexia. She says that her ED stems from a need to be perfect.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
&dontblink Offline
Fighting
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 19th 2013, 03:36 PM

I'm not officially diagnosed, but for me it's the need/want to be able to control my something in my life where it seems like everyone else controls everything. I can control what I eat and what I don't eat.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 22nd 2013, 11:26 AM

Hey,

as already said it can appear due to an infinite number of reasons. But it's not that you wake up one day and suddenly you become anorexic. Obviously it comes a time when a chip changes in your brain and it's difficult to reset it. It is normally linked to emotions and eventually it's like a way out from emotions or feelings you can't cope with. It's like when a person is so pissed he uses alcohol or drugs to escape from it, it's a temporary patch that becomes an addiction and a terrible spiral from which it's difficult to get out...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How people become anorexic? - February 22nd 2013, 10:19 PM

There's a beautiful girl I heard about that is anorexia she could never escape from it and she died. It is very upsetting and a very horrible mental illness. People who have this mental illness are to obsessed with losing weight, all they ever think is they are fat and they need to starve themselves to be slim when really we all know it doesn't work that way but they don't see it like that. There senses have gone out of the window and i'm not blaming them because it's not their fault. :,( Hearing about this beautiful girl with anorexia is such a nightmare.

Closed Thread