TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bunnyrabbitt Offline
Bunn-ay
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michelle

Question I feel awful about myself.. - July 14th 2013, 04:38 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I feel like I've been struggling with my weight for a long time now, and I have no one to talk about it with. I have two sisters, but my older sister, who is crazy skinny won't listen to me for two seconds while I complain about my self image, and my little sister is constantly making me feel worse about myself. Even when I try talking about this with my friends, they get mad at me for even thinking that I'm fat, like they'll get seriously annoyed and not talk to me for a while, and the friends that will listen to me on occasion probably feel as if I'm trying to burden them with my self image problems!

I know I'm not actually overweight, BMI scales and doctors, and my coaches have all told me otherwise, but for some reason, no matter who tells me, I will probably always feel fat, and awful about myself all together...

This summer, I started running for cross country, thinking that somehow, this would make me into the skinny girl that I wonted to be. I was wrong, I seem to be doing fine, with the running, but it's not like it's helped me lose weight. I feel like I'm just getting fatter and fatter and I just hate the way I look, I've tried a lot of things to change that, but nothing works.

I've always had these problems, and I'm sure no one who knows me knows how bad they've gotten and have been before.A few years ago, I stopped eating all together. (ironically, this was the ONLY solution to my issues that actually worked.) Surprisingly, I felt so much better about myself, and somehow, I didn't feel like I was starving myself at all, plus I was losing a lot of weight. Of course, since then, my eating habits have gone back to normal. I know that it's insane for me to even think of not eating again, but recently, I've begun to seriously consider it again. I know that this can't be a permanent solution, because then I'll get sick, an everyone will know, but I honestly don't know what else there is to do.

Sorry for the rant..

-Michelle

Keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing, and there's so much to smile about. -Marilyn Monroe

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: I feel awful about myself.. - July 15th 2013, 08:05 AM

Hey Michelle,

If you are not overweight, then you do not need to lose weight. Losing weight temporarily made you feel better, but it won't make you feel better long-term. You will just want to lose more and more weight. Have you thought about talking to a professional about your feelings? Your friends do not know how to react, and that's not bad of them, but they're just not professionals. A professional, such as a counselor, or a doctor? These self-esteem problems will only continue to hurt you, and if you were to fully develop a eating disorder, it would only get worse. Reach out now. <3

Stay strong.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread