TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karen

I am starting to get worried... - December 26th 2013, 06:01 AM

I begin worrying about calories and bad foods I shouldn't eat at all if I don't want to get fat. Once, I craved for pasta and suddenly, this urge inside me forced me to look up calorie information online. After that, I ended up eating pasta with healthier sauce and toppings, but I don't like it because it's not what I want. I also get worried I am not exercising enough, so I over exercised with DDR yesterday. I am starting to abandon what I want to eat simply because it's high in calorie and it will make me gain kilograms, but I want it because it's delicious.

My question is, what should I do next so I won't excessively worry about calories and gaining weight? I'm pear-shaped, thus I worry I'll get more fat on my belly and bottom.

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

Send a message via Skype™ to Konohana Sakuya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: I am starting to get worried... - December 26th 2013, 07:28 PM

Hey there,

The fact that you put this in the Eating Disorders forum rather than the General Health forum has me worried. There is a fine line between disordered behavior and dieting; often, it's completely healthy to look up the nutrition facts of foods and decide not to eat something due to the fact that it's bad for you. It's probably best to choose healthier pasta toppings over ones that are unhealthy. However, this compulsive type of behavior is not healthy, along with not allowing some unhealthy foods in moderation.

If you are worried about your weight, I'd recommend to see a doctor. No person, BMI chart, or online calculator will be able to tell you if you need to lose weight, but a medical professional can. They can also give you a meal plan to follow that is filled with healthy foods. Just because something is low in calories does not mean it's healthy; the reason it could be low in calories is that it is lacking in any nutritional value, such as diet soda, or many "diet" foods. Whole grain foods have more calories than white flour foods, but whole grain is healthier because it has more necessary nutrients, such as fiber. There are also healthy fats that diet foods often ignore, and then get left behind in your diet. There is more to health besides calories, which currently, you are not focusing on. I'd recommend seeing a doctor about what your diet should look like if you want to lose weight; they may tell you that remaining the same weight, or even gaining weight, is the healthiest choice at the moment.

Exercising is another issue that is often borderline healthy/unhealthy. Exercising a lot is good, but exercising too much is bad both psychologically and physically, as you can seriously injure yourself. This is something you can also bring up with a doctor, and they may be able to help you contact a physical trainer, who can help you create a healthy exercise plan that'll help you set your goals in a healthy manner.

Last, if you believe you may be suffering from disordered eating, mention this to your doctor and be completely honest. They can refer you to the correct help, such as a psychologist, counselor, and treatment team that can help you stop using these unhealthy behaviors. Weight loss, when necessary, is completely fine, but engaging in unhealthy behaviors (such as restricting, purging, binging, use of drugs for weight loss, etc) are not, and regardless of your weight, you need to get help.

Stay strong.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread