TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 24th 2014, 07:31 PM

So I have struggled a lot. I have never gotten out of control. Any how, I was counting calories, weighing myself everyday etc. I was keeping track of every last ingredient in the food I ate and I would get upset if I went a few calories over my allotted amount or if I gained a fraction of a pound instead of losing that fraction. I think men won't be attracted to me because I am not thin. I think I can't get the clothes I want because I am not thin enough to wear them. I think a lot of untrue things about my body. I am a perfectionist and it causes a lot of anxiety, I think that's why I struggle.

The unhealthy thinking conflicts with my healthy knowledge. I hit an impasse, I want to be healthy and lose weight (I am legitimately overweight by a little bit) but I cannot keep track of what I eat or how much I weigh without it being extremely damaging to how I think. While the site was down I got on the scale one day and almost started crying and wanted to throw up even though there was nothing to throw up AND I could never make myself do that no matter how badly I might want to at times.

I do not believe I have a full blown ED but I also think that I might have EDNOS sometimes.

But one thing I have come to accept is that I cannot just eat what ever and when ever, I need to exercise etc. BUT I cannot keep feeling like crap either, I want to find a way to enjoy eating healthy and exercising without obseessing over it. I need a new plan, I cannot get on a scale and I cannot count calories, and I cannot obsessively monitor every single ingredient in my food, doing these things are harmful.

Only thing is, I have already made a list of "NO this food" "No that food" with about 20 things I cannot have and a rather large this of things I CAN have (ex. fruits veggies, meat beans what kind of bread I CAN have etc.) I don't know if it is a good or bad thing this list exists but having a list of things to remind me what I should eat when hungry I believe will help even if it isn't healthy to make a list of "no no" foods (I call a lot of that stuff "poison" but I am trying to avoid that thinking)

I've also going to see a dietician. I'm scared about this, I have never admitted how hard it has been for me to anyone except my best friend. Everyone who I am close to seems to think I am magical or something, like they all think I am just this tough person, even when I am freaking out they still commend me on my independence, and other traits, I don't like admitting weaknesses. So... The person I chose is a natural/holistic dietician (she has a masters in food/nutrition or something like that though so she's legit) and she even focuses on psychological balancing and stuff which seems good...

Am I doing the right thing?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 24th 2014, 08:00 PM

I don't think that anyone can tell you whether you've made the right decision. My tow cents is this: It sounds like you struggle a lot with negative/ unhealthy thinking patterns and even if this person does "psychological balancing" this isn't her area of expertise. While people who struggle with things similar to this often go to dieticians, they can also benefit from seeing a psychological professional. The dietician may be able to get into some of this with you, but, personally I think it's a better bet to combine her help with someone who is trained to deal with the thought processes too.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 24th 2014, 09:52 PM

That's fair.... It's just that counselling is kind of expensive and I am moving soon and don't know where to go where I am moving too. What I need is a new game plan so that I can keep losing weight without messing with my head... I don't feel like spending tons of money so I can sit in a room and talk about my feelings with someone for an hour. I tried that. It didn't help, I would just feel worse after sending that much time talking about things that upset me and not actually getting any solutions besides how to think about it. Nothing about how I can redirect it or anything. And when I finally brought up my issues with food and eating cause I began realizing it was a problem she basically accused me of making things up and purposefully obsessing over it just because I like punishing myself which isn't true at all and while I don't think she meant it that way I was hurt by how she dismissed it and gave me absolutely no help with how to deal with it except basically to stop "making" it into a problem. And this has been a problem for me since I was about 12 so I don't think I'd purposefully do that for 10 years lol sooooo my experience with counselling didn't help as she dismissed my problems and gave me go way to cope with triggers, hell she didn't even bother with triggers urgh....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 24th 2014, 09:59 PM

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience last time and I completely understand why that would cause you to not want to consider it again. Not every professional would do that. It's up to you, but I would encourage you to try at least one more time. Before I went I thought the same thing about talking about things for an hour, but it really can be worth it if you find the right person.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 25th 2014, 01:37 AM

Well, see, my thing is that I would need to be given ideas about solutions, like my friend went to counselling and her counsellor helped tons and said to make sure she eats at the table so that she's focusing on the food vs. other stuff or something like that and it helped her, and I need to know that I will get something like that out of counselling, because otherwise I'll just see it as a waste of time. I tend to be a very goal oriented person, so if someone said like "I've seen this help people, let's try it" I'd do that, and if it doesn't help we get new solutions... I tend to be the type who wont' necessarily get anywhere just by talking about my feelings, I need to have goals and that's why I got no where with the last person and I feel like I don't want to go see someone if they can't tell me they'll be able to help discuss achieveable goals, even if it is just things like rearranging my schedule to help me with when I have issues (ex. working out really early in the morning seems to help me so now I just have to hope that I'll be able to force myself awake for 6 AM once school starts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 25th 2014, 02:34 AM

That makes sense, sometimes if you wanted to look into it, look at biographies when searching for professionals they will mention their theoretical orientation or you can ask them. Based on this I would suggest looking for someone who focuses on Behavior therapy Solution-focused, REBT, or CBT. Reality therapy may also be an option for you, but since you didn't like being told that you were "making problems" it might not. It will have the focus on behavior that you want, but it also assumes that you are "choosing" pretty much everything which I personally don't like. You could also tell anyone that you decided to see what you want and need from them and see how they respond.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 25th 2014, 08:09 AM

Hey there,

I think that seeing a dietitian could be a really good idea and a good first step. If you do see a dietitian I think you should be open with her about your disordered way of thinking. This will help her to determine if she is the right dietitian for you and it will help her to better understand your situation and to better assist you.

I do think that counseling would be helpful because the control/issues with food is just one aspect in regards to all of this. The thing is that with anything Eating disorder related there is a psychological aspect and the people that can help you with that is a therapist.

I know that you had a bad experience in the past but I assure you that not all therapists are going to respond in that manner. There are good and bad therapists out there and you just have to work on finding a therapist that works for you. As stated by Kate there are different types of therapies you could try; I am currently seeing a therapist who specializes in CBT and I have found this to be really beneficial. Therapy may be expensive but you deserve to get to a place where you don't obsess about food so much and a therapist could help with that. The thing to remember is that you aren't going to know if therapy is going to be beneficial unless you try it. You are looking for someone you can set goals with and gain new perspective from and dealing with a CBT has done just that for me. There are times when we set goals and she is always very insightful and has helped me look at situations from a different perspective many times. You can find a therapist that works for you as well.

If you are moving soon it might be something that you wait to do until you have settled in. In regards to finding a therapist when you move you might just have to look online and search "Therapists in _______" and see what names pop up. Once you get a few names you can call them and ask them what type of therapy they practice and go from there. Depending on how your insurance works you might also be able to look on the insurances website and see what therapists are covered. I know that is how my insurance works.

I really hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Seeing a dietician... Am I making the correct choice? - July 25th 2014, 03:33 PM

Ok, well I will start with the dietician, hopefully starting with a new direction will help but I will keep trying counselling in mind if I still been totally horrible. Thanks guys

Closed Thread