TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
happyface Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Should I seek professional help? - August 26th 2014, 01:55 AM

I don't eat in front of people, besides my parents and occasionally my best friends. I don't eat much at all at school; maybe a few chips now and then. I eat at home, but usually small portions. I'm not sure if it's an eating disorder or if I'm just picky, but I would like to know if I should seek professional help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Should I seek professional help? - August 26th 2014, 04:10 AM

Do you know why you are struggling with eating? Are you doing it to lose weight? Eating disorder habits are done as a way to try and lose weight because people feel as though they are not thin enough.

Your behaviors are concerning and could be viewed as disordered eating. You might want to try and talk to someone about this to try and figure out the reasons behind these issues. Maybe there are some emotional components that are causing you to feel that you can't eat in front of people and stuff like that.

It might help if you tried to change these habits by eating around people a bit more and by eating more at lunch and stuff like that. It might be hard to do but if you push through and do it you might find that it gets easier to do.

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck. If you ever want to chat please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should I seek professional help? - August 26th 2014, 06:09 PM

Hello there while it's hard to tell much from your post and we can't give you any kind of professional guidance, my rule of thumb for concerns like this is: if you're asking whether you need professional help, then it certainly isn't going to hurt you to try it. It's your choice of course, but as a professional in training, I'm never going to tell you it's a bad idea if you feel like you might need it. I would also suggest talking to your doctor if you're concerned about your health and/or nutritional needs.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
happyface Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Should I seek professional help? - August 27th 2014, 12:48 AM

Any more advice? I really appreciate this, guys. Thanks ♥

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Should I seek professional help? - August 27th 2014, 02:59 AM

I would agree with telling an adult like a professional if this is a concern to you. I can't say whether or not it's an eating disorder because I am not a professional, but if you feel as if something isn't right or is of a concern to you, it is always better to be safe rather than sorry and get it checked. And perhaps they can help you start eating in front of people again, and maybe prevent this from escalating any further.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lillibette Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Should I seek professional help? - September 5th 2014, 05:01 AM

I agree with Kate*. I've noticed usually if someone's concerned enough to ask if they should seek professional help, then they really should. At the least, a professional might be able to help you figure out what's going on.

Please use fae or they pronouns in reference to me.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Should I seek professional help? - September 5th 2014, 05:34 AM

It would be a good idea to tell your parents/see someone because although I can't say if you have an eating disorder or not it would be beneficial to seek help now then when it is too late. It's better to be safe rather then sorry. Seeing a professional can help you figure out why you don't eat in front of people and can teach you how to work on positive eating habits.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Should I seek professional help? - September 10th 2014, 04:24 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said.

We are not medical professionals, so we can't diagnose you. However, we can help you out to the best of our abilities.

Anyways, I can totally relate to what you are going through. I hate eating in front of people and I only really eat in front of people unless I really have to, like at a restaurant, etc. When did you start hating to eat in front of people? Was there something that happened in the past that may have caused you to start to hate eating in front of people? My hatred of eating in front of people stems from my past with bullying. People didn't bully me because of what I was eating. They made fun of me because of my weight and now, I hate eating in front of people because I am afraid that people are going to make fun of me and/or judge me. Are you scared/afraid of people making fun of you or judging you?

As for your eating, when exactly did you start to eat like this? Like I have said above, did something happen in the past that may have caused you to start eating like this?

Since you are asking about whether or not you should see a therapist/counselor, then I am going to assume that you are currently not seeing a therapist/counselor. I think you should see a therapist/counselor so that they can better help you figure out why you are this way.

Member Since 1/15/2012

Closed Thread