TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bulimia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kristen

food - November 7th 2014, 06:01 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I can't eat every time i eat i puke and its really taking a tole on my body. watching my family eat sweets i really just wanna scarf the whole damn bag and more. i exercise n suck on hotballs to keep from eating but i really want to i need other ways to ignore the urge

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: food - November 8th 2014, 03:13 PM

Hey, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much and I'm glad you decided to reach out because that's the first step to recovering (which I assumed you're thinking about at least a little since you posted).

The first thing to realise is that there is nothing actually stopping you from eating. It may seem like it because of the urges you get after you eat, but this is not true. It's important to know that you are allowed to eat and do not have to purge. There's just that little voice in your head that convinces you otherwise. I think the Alternatives to Self Harm thread can apply here as well. There's some great distractions in there that can apply to whatever mood you're in when you want to act on disordered behaviours.

Another step you can take in helping yourself is to talk to someone in your life. Like your family, a close friend, or even your doctor. I know it's scary and awkward to reach out to someone, but that can really give you some needed support to beat this. You can start the conversation with a text message to that person or by writing a letter to them. In the case of reaching out to your doctor, make the appointment and try your best to get to it. You can do this! Eating disorders are deadly, but you can recover from it because it's not impossible.

Message me sometime if you need to talk to someone.

Oliver.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: food - November 8th 2014, 09:13 PM

Hey there,

If you didn't resist the urge to eat sweets you might actually not feel the need to gorge on them. I learned in treatment that if you cave into your cravings and your are more likely to have a little bit instead of resisting and eventually caving and binging. That is just something to consider. Try giving yourself the ability to have a few treats here and there; it's not going to harm you in anyway.

I think it would be really good if you sought out treatment for this. I know that eating disorders can be hard to recover from but if you sought out counseling or some other kind of treatment you would learn some coping skills and get on a better track. It would provide you with some much needed support and help you work on getting to a better place.

You can beat this you just have to keep fighting and believe in yourself.

I really hope that this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bulimia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: food - November 8th 2014, 10:12 PM

until monday without help started getting the tooth cuts again

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: food - November 9th 2014, 06:35 PM

Hi,

You've been given some great advice here. I especially like the idea of using the self harm alternatives- it applies to any destructive behavior you need to overcome.

Are you eating regularly, and healthily(ish)? You mention sucking on hotballs to keep yourself from eating. I don't know what they are, but if you've not eating enough to sustain your body cravings will be multiplied ten fold. Try it- I promise it will not bring you any harm, and you'll still be as beautiful and strong as ever.

When you say you can't eat- I'm assuming you mean because you have an eating disorder (bulimia, by any chance? ) and not because you have a physical condition making you throw up. So if this is the case I apologise because my advice is going to be mental illness-disordered behavior based.

Do you get the urge to make yourself throw up when you eat anything, or is it just specific foods that "trigger" this urge? For example, if you woke up and had breakfast- would you feel the urge to make yourself purge or is it when you eat foods you consider to be "bad" like chocolate or sweets? Working out your triggers is really helpful, but if certain foods trigger you I wouldn't say avoid them all together- especially if they're foods you'll feel the urge to binge on later. If eating something like sweets makes you want to purge, but if you have cravings for them, try just eating a little amount- and eat them in front of family members, so you can't really binge on them. This should reduce your cravings for the sweets- eat them, then distract yourself with something really engaging. My distraction was video games- work through different things to find yours. The distraction should also help you overcome the urge to eat more sweets, too.

No food is inherently "bad", I feel like I should tell you now. It's only how you perceive it. Eating certain foods will not make you gain weight, or cause you to be unhealthy. Everything in moderation. There's no reason you can't enjoy sweets with your family, so long as you're not eating excessive amounts.

Are you receiving help on Monday? From your post I'm unclear as to what you're referring to, but if you're seeking help, that's great. If not, I'd strongly recommend you to do so in order to give you the best possible chance of overcoming this thing. Eating disorders are terrible, horrific illnesses to go through, but I promise it all is worth it in the end.

Let us know how you get on,

Laura xox

Take as long as you need.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bulimia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: food - November 9th 2014, 08:27 PM

Getting help on monday im freaking out now having second thoughts.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: food - November 9th 2014, 10:58 PM

I'm so glad you're getting help! Seriously, well done. You might be really nervous at first, but this is the right thing to do. Keep us updated!

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread