TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Trying on winter coats - November 17th 2014, 06:39 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Today my mom had me try on my old winter coat, since we're starting to have snow and she won't let me just wear a jacket. It totally triggered me to have "unhealthy" thoughts of wanting to start back up my purging (through excessive exercise) and restricting. I just felt so fat and disugusted with my self. I saw that I didn't lose any weight since I wore it and may have put on unwanted pounds also. I was saying to my mom and sister that I look so fat and they were like, "you don't look fat you just need more self confidence". Which made it all worse. I also had a triggering lunch, fish and chips to make it that much worse. I just want to get rid of it. Sorry about the rant/ramble fest, the main point of writing this is to ask if anyone else gets triggered by having to try on old winter coats of going shopping for a new one. Maybe even just trying on any clothes, and if you had any advice to get through this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trying on winter coats - November 17th 2014, 08:38 PM

Hey there,

I get very triggered when trying on clothes especially pants. It makes me feel extremely self conscious and uncomfortable. I haven't found a lot of things to help me get through this. Something that does help is mentally preparing myself to go try on clothes. I have to prepare a few days in advance for a clothing excursion or I can't do it. I don't know if this is the most healthy way of doing it but if I know in advance that I am going to go shopping I will know that I am going to have to deal with triggers and I can work my way through them. Something else that helps me work through the triggers is talking myself through it. I tell myself that it will be okay. I also do breathing exercises while I am shopping. This helps to keep me calm and collected.

I honestly haven't found the best ways to deal with this triggering experience but these three things help me get through it to a certain extent. They might help you as well.

Best of luck and if you need anything feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Trying on winter coats - November 17th 2014, 10:57 PM

I, too, get triggered when trying on clothes. I feel extremely guilty, self-conscious, etc. I haven't really done anything to try to help me get through to be honest. No matter how hard I try not to be negative about clothes shopping, I always end up thinking/feeling negative. I think it is normal to feel/think a certain way about clothes shopping.

Maybe you can try to distract yourself or try to take your mind off of these negative thoughts/feelings. Try listening to music while you go shopping for clothes. Try to think about something else whenever you feel yourself being triggered while clothes shopping.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Trying on winter coats - November 17th 2014, 11:59 PM

Thanks guys ^^. I will try those tips from now on. Today has just been a horrible trigger day.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Trying on winter coats - November 19th 2014, 02:55 PM

It's not simply triggering. It's sad, embarassing, upsetting, horrifying, and any more negative adjectives because I used to be in the very low single digits sizes (US, adults) and even was fit for children sizes (when I was less than 5 ft). But now, I am just two sizes below the obese sizes. It's horrifying, I try to put on jeans that are three sizes below me that I've had since 2007, and they don't even go up past my thighs.

I purge thru exercise too, and I have been restricting so much this week. I'm kind of hoping, that when I go back home, that the size one below current fits or at least is more comfortable and less suffocating.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Trying on winter coats - November 20th 2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles. View Post
I try to put on jeans that are three sizes below me that I've had since 2007, and they don't even go up past my thighs.
And you're a beautiful, amazing and inspirational person regardless of your size. I promise. Kindness is so so so much more important than any weight size, and I promise the thing people will remember you for is not your size, but the way you treat them.

Hugs xoxo

Take as long as you need.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Trying on winter coats - November 20th 2014, 06:37 PM

I understand what you mean Bex. I used to be very thin and now I'm obese, and hate myself.;( It's terrifying when you have to go trying on clothes, when you look like me.

Closed Thread