TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Binge eating - April 1st 2015, 02:28 PM

I've been binge eating a lot for the past couple of weeks >.> I only really do it at night time. I can't seem to sleep without eating something now which is getting a bit worrying. If I just ate a sandwich or an apple before bed that would be fine but I eat quite a lot :/ I can't seem to stop. I would say what I ate all together last night but it's kind of gross and it may trigger some people. I'm not really "hungry" at night but I still eat and eat.

I eat relatively healthy during the day but eat junk food at night >.>

I've been gaining weight again I did lose some a few months back but I've gained it all back on. My jeans don't fit me >.> When I gain weight it goes straight to my bum and my skinny jeans are annoyingly tight on me.

I know this is becoming a problem and no matter how much I tell myself not to over-eat at night I will still do it :/

I don't purge or anything (I seriously don't want to get into that)

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Binge eating - April 3rd 2015, 08:33 PM

Are you taking any medications that has a side effect of making you extremely hungry and/or gain weight? If so, I would talk to your doctor about the side effects you may be having.

Do you tend to eat when your stressed out, bored, etc.? Then, you could be emotionally eating, etc. When you feel like you are about to binge, try distracting yourself and keeping yourself busy. Try chewing gum when you feel like you are about to binge.

However, if you are not eating during the day, then that could also be another reason why you binge. You need to have at least 3-6 small meals a day. Drinking water can also help make you less hungry.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Binge eating - April 10th 2015, 08:27 PM

I could have sworn I replied to this

I'm on Sertraline and Mirtazapine but I've been on Sertraline for about 3 years and Mirtazapine for about a year. This is only really a recent thing :/ I do seem to eat more when I'm stressed. I'm kind of stressing about having surgery next week (removing my wisdom teeth and three others) so that hasn't helped

(#4 (permalink)) Old
denis9 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Binge eating - April 13th 2015, 09:31 AM

I eat at night and day, but my meals are not large. I try to fill it with fruit or vegetables. I can not cook well .. Unfortunately,
Using either a recipes.ancymonki

Also watch out for your metabolism, I started to run and be more active.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Binge eating - April 13th 2015, 09:48 PM

Hey there,

How recent has this been? If it's only been a few weeks or months then it could definitely be stress that is causing this. I know that sometimes when I am stressed I tend to eat more. Also, are you keeping yourself busy? I have found that when I am bored I tend to want to eat more.

You said that the main problem is night time. It is possible that during the day you are not getting all the nutrients you need which is causing you to crave the unhealthy food. I know that when I was in treatment for my eating disorder they talked a lot about this. It might help if you assess what you are eating during the day and see if it has enough of the key nutrients you need. If you come to the realization that it doesn't you can work on improving that and you might see a change in this behavior.

I hope that this helped in some way.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Binge eating - April 14th 2015, 02:27 PM

I skip breakfast a lot so that could be why. I eat a lot of fruit and veg throughout the day though :/ I may occasionally have takeaway (McDonald's or pizza) but that's somewhat rare

I've probably been like this for about 4 months.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeathToNemo Offline
Jellyfish
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maus

Re: Binge eating - April 16th 2015, 08:22 PM

That's probably a big factor. Breakfast, often called the most important meal of the day by everybody that thinks they know something, is important. Often when I skip breakfast, I will continue eating throughout the day because I didn't eat anything to keep my energy up before lunch. I also eat a lot of sweets. The thing about sugars, and not natural sugars, but things in candy or soda or pretty much anything, is that they set off a craving. Even when you aren't that hungry, you still eat it because it is addictive. Try eating something small like a bagel in the mornings, that way you aren't hungry throughout the day.

I'm regards to stress, I can agree with a few comments above, try chewing on things like gum to distract yourself.

A good way to stay full and have a good diet so you don't gain weight, is to eat balanced meals. And pizza and McDonald's aren't those. Both have access salt and pizza is quite bready, which helps put on the pounds. Eat lots of meals that are filled with veggies and exercising is always a plus.My cousin used to be overweight because she often pigged out on sugary treats throughout the day, didn't eat breakfast and then ate tremendous amounts of food that was filled with sugars and fats. Now that she eats junk moderately and eats breakfast, she isn't as hungry.

I'm not exactly an expert on medication, but if your binging is a cause of those medications, talk to your doctor about it.

Closed Thread