TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
meankitty2245 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Pressured Weight Loss Surgery - July 1st 2015, 12:23 AM

I have PCOS, or Poly cystic ovary syndrome. As some of you may know, this has many adverse affects. Irregular and painful periods, weight gain, and many more. Here, I am focused on the weight gain.
I low-carb almost all the time, I eat two meals a day, and yet I'm still bordering on [Edited]. I've tried every diet out there, and have even tried to become bulimic and anorexic. Nothing works, portion control, fad diets, hours of exercise, skipping meals, adding meals, nothing! Then something today just broke the final straw.
My mother walked into my room when I was enjoying a video game and told me she was wanting to put me into surgery to have half of my stomach permanently removed so I would lose weight quickly. When I told her I wouldn't, she got angry and left right after saying this:
"Fine, enjoy having a heart attack before you're twenty."
I'm crying for the first time in years, and it hurts. I don't know what to do anymore and she isn't letting me go and see my therapist this summer.
I apologize if this doesn't belong in this section, I didn't know where to put it.

Last edited by Eternal; July 1st 2015 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Please don't include weight numbers, they are against the rules.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Pressured Weight Loss Surgery - July 1st 2015, 01:19 AM

Are you even 18 years old? They cannot do weight loss surgery unless you are eighteen or older.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Pressured Weight Loss Surgery - July 1st 2015, 01:23 AM

Hey there,

It is unfortunate that your mom is responding this way. I know how tough it is to have people pressure you into partaking in certain activities due to weight. I don't think that your moms suggestion is something you should do unless you feel it is something you want. However, it is evident that you don't want that procedure and I think that is perfectly fine. I think the thing that some people don't realize is that you don't have to be thin in order to love yourself. It is possible that your mom is worried about your health but the fact is that weight loss surgery can come with risks as well. My mom got the surgery and it ended up really messing with her health. It causes you to be vitamin deficient and you can lose nutrients. So, you could, potentially, be exchanging the medical complications that come along with being overweight for medical complications that come along with getting the surgery. I can say for a fact that the complications that can come with this surgery are not fun and can make things miserable.

Something you could try doing is talking to your doctor about your concerns regarding your weight and see what he/she has to say about it. They might be able to suggest a diet plan or help you get into a nutritionist who can help you work through this.

I don't have a lot of advice to offer but I hope this post helped in some way. If you need anything feel free to use teenhelps many resources.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Pressured Weight Loss Surgery - July 1st 2015, 02:09 AM

Hello there, I will agree with everything that's been said above, only in extreme cases will doctors actually consider surgeries like this while you're under 18 and based on your post, it sounds like you aren't 18 yet. As has been said, these surgeries are kind of notorious for complications and you could be exchanging one set of health problems and risks for another. This is also likely permanent (although some can be reversed), so it's not a decision to make lightly or to do because you feel pressured to. I know it's hard when parents react this way about anything we do and I'm sorry it happened to you. It sounds like your mom doesn't understand the fact that your weight is partly due to a medical condition that you have limited control over.

Your doctor would be the best person to talk to about this, aside from him/her and maybe a nutritionist, it might be worth considering some form of birth control to help balance your hormones which may or may not be contributing to the problem. I know it's incredibly frustrating, but please go about things in a healthy way and only consider the surgery if it's something you want to do, not because you feel like you have to or because someone else thinks you should.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread