TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
swimmer92 Offline
Average Joe

Name: KP

ED and social media. - September 27th 2015, 01:37 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've had an ED for about 10 years now and finally went to residential treatment this summer. I was doing really well for only a few weeks and started slipping again and I've been in full relapse for about a month. I've been seeing progress as I slowly start to eat again. I had dinner tonight and I felt really good, no ED urges at all. I then opened my instagram and the first picture was of this girls' weight loss progress. She is so beautiful and I am far from beautiful. I automatically had ED urges and they are still really bad right now. How do you guys handle these types of situations? I really don't want to cut all social media out of my life, and it hasn't been a problem lately. I have no idea why it triggered me so badly today.

Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

Always? Always.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: ED and social media. - September 27th 2015, 03:28 AM

I have this problem too. My suggestion is unfollow anyone who is loosing weight either if it is healthy or in an unhealthy way. If you have any accounts dedicated to your ed log on and delete the accounts. Avoid pro ana sites( that's the hardest part for me right now). If you need someone to talk to I am always here. I understand what your going through I've been through residential too last summer.

I would also tell your support team that you are struggling and that you need support. They are there for you. All they want to do is help them.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: ED and social media. - September 27th 2015, 10:31 PM

Hey there,

First of all, you are beautiful exactly as you are. I know you probably don't see yourself that way and your eating disorder is to blame for that, but you are. You genuinely are.

Watching the weight loss journey of those around you can be difficult, especially when you've struggled with something in that area before. Take some time to consider what's really best for you. Maybe you don't need to give up social media entirely, but simply need to do some filtering. If the weight loss posts are the only aspect of social media that is triggering to you, simply unfollow the people who are posting those types of photos or statuses. Depending on the site you're using, you may even be able to find a way to filter out only weight-loss related posts, so you can continue to enjoy the rest of the content people post without having to completely remove them from your social media. There's nothing wrong with doing that or taking a complete social media hiatus if you find that's what will be best for you. As you continue to recover, you'll find that it is easier to see such posts and will be able to slowly re-introduce the accounts of people posting photos of that nature into your life without feeling triggered or anxious. As with all things recovery, it will just take time.

You've got this! Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk about anything.

Take care!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: ED and social media. - October 3rd 2015, 09:08 AM

Hi there.

I definitely agree with Sammi on the social media aspect of things. I know it can be really hard to see these things around you so do do some filtering and really consider whether thats the life you want. Do you want a life of this eating disorder or do you want better because I think, with experience, I know what the answer will be. You deserve more than you're eating disorder and you don't deserve to be going through this pain neither. I know its hard but you can do this and get through to the other side okay?

And you are beautiful just the way you are and don't let anyone or your eating disorder tell you otherwise. You don't need to change and actually a lot of beauty comes from within. Stay strong and feel free to message me if you need anything. I believe in you!

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread